Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: beardylondon on May 22, 2024, 02:04:53 PM

Title: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 22, 2024, 02:04:53 PM
Hi All,

I need some brake pads for my 1976 CB550, just OEM quality is fine, I don't need anything fancy, any recommends?

DS ones look ok?

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB550K-1976-USA/part_70735/
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: deltarider on May 22, 2024, 03:37:17 PM
Those are EBC FA13. I had them decades ago and replaced them soon thereafter (pic). They sqeal like a pig. Also you need to remove paint from the sides and chamfer them somewhat.
I now have SBS Street Organic 501HF. Mwah... ok, but nothing special.
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 22, 2024, 05:57:02 PM
I found that the DS ones in my 400 soon started to sqeal - I replaced them with a standard road use Brembo Carbon/Ceramic pads that I tappered on the leading edges - back in 2022 Brembo's were £34 delivered.
I found the Brembo pads had a nice progressive feel to them.  I now have them on my 500 as well.

Like the choice of tyres I think it's quite subjective and dependent on riding style - nothing wrong with the DS ones they function OK - no doubt the noise can be fixed with some tapering of the leading edge & disc face cleaning.
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 22, 2024, 06:12:27 PM
Thanks both.

or how about these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310635236046?campid=5339022110&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&toolid=10050&customid=CjwKCAjwr7ayBhAPEiwA6EIGxG-tRA9ur-WWzGrm5UjprWPSVJOoDdX7SCoBxHnCGiGoGBFMO_dpkxoCtQEQAvD_BwE&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&customid=CjwKCAjwr7ayBhAPEiwA6EIGxG-tRA9ur-WWzGrm5UjprWPSVJOoDdX7SCoBxHnCGiGoGBFMO_dpkxoCtQEQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwr7ayBhAPEiwA6EIGxG-tRA9ur-WWzGrm5UjprWPSVJOoDdX7SCoBxHnCGiGoGBFMO_dpkxoCtQEQAvD_BwE
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: Skoti on May 22, 2024, 06:26:29 PM
Those EBC v-series pads are squeal free for me.
But more expensive than the basic FA13 organic type.
 

EBC FA13V semi sintered pads.

https://4into1.com/ebc-v-series-semi-sintered-front-brake-pads-fa13v-honda-cb350-cb750/ (https://4into1.com/ebc-v-series-semi-sintered-front-brake-pads-fa13v-honda-cb350-cb750/)
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 22, 2024, 09:48:29 PM
Thanks, is the v series the one I have linked to above?
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: Skoti on May 23, 2024, 06:23:38 AM
No, you've linked to the cheaper FA13 organic pads.

FA13V pads are semi sintered.
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 23, 2024, 06:44:13 AM
Thanks, I just read up on them, they seem great, but £39 for a set of pads seems bit steep for me!

Maybe I’ll get these Sbs ones

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/335207027324?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=VCIbScCKRga&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=wmWanCu3SsS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: Skoti on May 23, 2024, 06:58:35 AM
Good luck with the SBS ones, they squealed when I used them.
They're now in a box under my bench with other bits and bobs labelled shite...

Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 23, 2024, 09:40:35 AM
ha ha, fair enough

Good luck with the SBS ones, they squealed when I used them.
They're now in a box under my bench with other bits and bobs labelled shite...
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: deltarider on May 23, 2024, 12:18:13 PM
Good luck with the SBS ones, they squealed when I used them.
They're now in a box under my bench with other bits and bobs labelled shite...
I know they're a tight fit. Have you tried removing paint from the sides?
Title: Re: Brake pads recommends
Post by: beardylondon on May 24, 2024, 04:53:31 PM
I went with the FA13V ones in the end, as I found a cheaper supplier!

Thanks for your help!

Good luck with the SBS ones, they squealed when I used them.
They're now in a box under my bench with other bits and bobs labelled shite...