Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Brian Cairns on May 24, 2024, 04:49:04 PM

Title: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on May 24, 2024, 04:49:04 PM
hi
Can anyone advise me how to remove and replace the carburettor needle guide (brass ferrule) ? not the float needle seat.

many thanks
Brian
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Bryanj on May 24, 2024, 05:10:42 PM
In theory, with main jet removed it should push down from the top but i havent gone that far with pd carbs, i usually point blank refuse ro work on them.
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on May 24, 2024, 06:12:36 PM
Hi Bryan and thanks,
Do you mean push down from inside where the slide goes in? Unfortunately the system will not allow me to post any pictures at the minute.

Thanks

Brian
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Skoti on May 24, 2024, 06:47:21 PM
Never done them on a PD carb, but on my F1 I needed to carefully tap them out from the inside with a pin punch.

Hope this helps.

Skoti
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on May 25, 2024, 10:06:38 AM
cheers
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on May 25, 2024, 11:13:33 AM
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Hi Bryan and thanks,
Do you mean push down from inside where the slide goes in? Unfortunately the system will not allow me to post any pictures at the minute.

Thanks

Brian
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: SumpMagnet on June 08, 2024, 10:42:39 AM
Hmm...keen to see if this works out, as I got a slightly manky set of F2 carbs I am getting ready to overhaul.

For those who never work on them (and from what I have read, I can totally get this) is there an alternative? One that doesn't involve a second mortgage anyway and one that can retain the airbox.
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on June 08, 2024, 11:15:34 AM
Hmm...keen to see if this works out, as I got a slightly manky set of F2 carbs I am getting ready to overhaul.

For those who never work on them (and from what I have read, I can totally get this) is there an alternative? One that doesn't involve a second mortgage anyway and one that can retain the airbox

yes got everything sorted, it was expensive getting all the parts ( mostly from https://www.cmsnl.com) however took my time and got it sorted. I used air filter form the 500 series and altered airbox very slightly .
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on June 08, 2024, 07:52:41 PM
whoops another problem.

I replaced carb needle and needle guide . All went well until I noticed when opening and closing the throttles the slides or needles seem to be sticking in one carb in particular ( carb 3). When I remove the screws for throttle arm, the slides move freely.
I also noticed that needles are tight when passing through needle guide and needle will not fully go through guide , whereas they will on the old guides.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
 Brian
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Skoti on June 09, 2024, 07:06:06 PM
Did you fit genuine Honda or aftermarket needle jets kits?
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on June 09, 2024, 07:57:50 PM
Did you fit genuine Honda or aftermarket needle jets kits?
They are honda parts, made in Japan sold by  cmsnl.com, correct part numbers.
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Skoti on June 10, 2024, 06:26:21 AM
Was going to suggest the needle profile was incorrect if they'd been aftermarket parts.

BTW
Did your cmsnl ones come in sealed genuine Honda bags?
Because some time ago they supplied me 4 needle jet kits, two in genuine Honda bags and 2 in zip lock bags which were most obviously not genuine.
I challenged them about that and was told they had been repackaged as the original bags were damaged...

Anyhow back to your original problem, do the old needles fit smoothly into the new jets?
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on June 10, 2024, 07:29:00 AM
Was going to suggest the needle profile was incorrect if they'd been aftermarket parts.

BTW
Did your cmsnl ones come in sealed genuine Honda bags?
Because some time ago they supplied me 4 needle jet kits, two in genuine Honda bags and 2 in zip lock bags which were most obviously not genuine.
I challenged them about that and was told they had been repackaged as the original bags were damaged...

Anyhow back to your original problem, do the old needles fit smoothly into the new jets?
Yes all in original package. The old needles fit into the new jets the same way as the new needles however, old and new needles don’t go through new jets the whole way, they stick 3/4 way , whereas both old and new needles slide into the old jets fully. Thinking of putting old jets back in? However one is damaged.
Cheers
Brian
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Skoti on June 10, 2024, 08:15:53 AM
Need someone to confirm this as your PD carbs are not the same as my F1 carbs.

But my new needles don't pass all the way through the needle jet. (I've got a new set here and just checked that for you.)
It's also probable that your original needle jets are badly worn, (I've just checked old worn ones I've removed and the needles pass all the way through the jets.)

The jets do eventually wear badly and usually become guttered oval because of the needles being sucked back and forth with the induction vacuum as the throttle is opened and closed.

I can easily see the wear difference on my old needle jets by simply holding them up to the light and comparing them with the new ones.


This probably doesn't help you that much but maybe someone else will be along soon that knows about PD carbs.
 

Good luck
Title: Re: how to remove carb needle guide on pd46c carb
Post by: Brian Cairns on June 11, 2024, 04:53:46 PM
Need someone to confirm this as your PD carbs are not the same as my F1 carbs.

But my new needles don't pass all the way through the needle jet. (I've got a new set here and just checked that for you.)
It's also probable that your original needle jets are badly worn, (I've just checked old worn ones I've removed and the needles pass all the way through the jets.)

The jets do eventually wear badly and usually become guttered oval because of the needles being sucked back and forth with the induction vacuum as the throttle is opened and closed.

I can easily see the wear difference on my old needle jets by simply holding them up to the light and comparing them with the new ones.


This probably doesn't help you that much but maybe someone else will be along soon that knows about PD carbs.
 

Good luck

Thanks, only seems to be sticking on carb 3, will remove jet and reseat again to see if that cures it.

Thanks
Brian