Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on May 26, 2024, 08:55:25 AM

Title: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 26, 2024, 08:55:25 AM
I give my wife bits to sell on eBay to keep her sweet and to promote tolerance of by obsession.

She listed a 500 carb plate and lifter rod and someone message to see if she has brass bushes etc ...see pic ..but I can't even see anything like that on my own set of 627B carbs so she can't really help him out. I thought he may have been getting confused with later PD carbs (that I have no experience with) but he says its for a 500K2... She told him to join us on here and ask for help  but it's difficult conversing details on eBay (phone/email etc)  for the fear that eBay police get onto you for attempting to deal without going through them. This would deffo have been a question for Ken !

I do recognise the other bits.

[attachimg=1]

Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 26, 2024, 09:09:21 AM
Are they in the hole that the actuator bar goes through 🤔🤔🤔

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Bryanj on May 26, 2024, 12:34:53 PM
That was my thought
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2024, 12:46:32 PM
Pretty sure they are.
Ted had an issue with his breaking up during his carb rebuild and posted photos of them. They become damaged when removing the locating dowl by drilling it out and puncturing right through the bush cracking it or when drilling the carb rail to insert a crub screw to hold the lifter rod in position to replace the dowl pin.
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2024, 12:48:20 PM
The retainer for the felt washers go on the carb bodies though, nothing to do with the carb rail spindle (assuming it is a similar arrangement to the 400/4).
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 26, 2024, 02:03:09 PM
Looking at the part with my camera microscope app ... I think this is what he means ..in which case the bushes are OK

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]

Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2024, 02:52:51 PM
And are those retainers with felt between them and the housing? If they are they look really difficult to remove as they appear to be staked!
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 26, 2024, 02:54:12 PM
But of course he's going to be buying the whole assembly from you Ash so he doesn't need to remove them  :)
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 26, 2024, 03:13:02 PM
But of course he's going to be buying the whole assembly from you Ash so he doesn't need to remove them  :)

Not sure  Dave ...people often ask but don't end up buying.

When I got that out I found a whole bunch of 400 carbs stuff and set of yellow pass plated parts so I think I will put myself together another spiffing set of spare 400 carbs.
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 26, 2024, 03:14:41 PM
It would be good if someone makes the two bushes for the main carb spindle.
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 27, 2024, 09:16:47 AM
The guy bought them in the end .. every day is a learning day ...thanks for the replies. Interesting that the 500 has a screw in bar retainer 'pin'  under the tiny peened-in steel cover but the 400 has one you have to drill out.
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 27, 2024, 09:39:42 AM
My 500 did not have a screwed in retainer pin Ash I had to drill it out. The bearing at that end was partly missing as it had been dismantled previously.  I ended up with a replacement mounting unit from Ken that had a been later threaded and fitted with a one piece threaded pin.
So if I understand you correctly it's a two part arrangement on the 500 threaded with an end cap fitted on assembly to hold it at the right position!
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 27, 2024, 10:09:09 AM
My 500 did not have a screwed in retainer pin Ash I had to drill it out. The bearing at that end was partly missing as it had been dismantled previously.  I ended up with a replacement mounting unit from Ken that had a been later threaded and fitted with a one piece threaded pin.
So if I understand you correctly it's a two part arrangement on the 500 threaded with an end cap fitted on assembly to hold it at the right position!

As far as I can make out the retainer is a cheese headed M3 screw with a spring washer underneath. The end of the screw is machined to a slightly smaller diameter to engage in the groove in the chromed lifter bar and is just the correct length so that the screw doesn't 'bottom out' on the groove ...hence  the spindle is retained but still free to rotate. All new to me ..the 400F's I have owned just have a pressed in pin that's a bitch to drill out.
Title: Re: CB500K2 carb bit
Post by: magpie114 on May 27, 2024, 10:46:00 AM
I’m just in the process of fitting one of Max’s stainless shafts on my CB350F carbs. Had to remove a screw as you describe (M3 on mine), will be refitting with dog point grub screw.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk