Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: philoaks on May 28, 2024, 09:56:38 PM

Title: Hi from South Wales
Post by: philoaks on May 28, 2024, 09:56:38 PM
Hi all.  I'm Phil from Bridgend in South Wales.  I've been riding since I was 16 and now a lot closer to 70 than I really want to be  ;)  Currently have an R1200GS, a Honda CX500 that I renovated a couple of years ago and a more recently purchased CB650Z.  The CB is relatively tidy but low on compression so top end is off at the moment waiting on the arrival of new rings.  Block and head have been vapour blasted to tidy them up and carbs have been stripped and cleaned in an ultrasound bath.  Hopefully it will all go back together again but I may well be back here asking questions if it doesn't. 
Title: Re: Hi from South Wales
Post by: Athame57 on May 28, 2024, 10:04:40 PM
Hi Phil
for technical advice on all things SOHC you've come to the right place mate. Welcome here!   ;D
Title: Re: Hi from South Wales
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 28, 2024, 11:14:38 PM
Hi Phil, welcome aboard! Not so many 650’s that I’m aware of plenty of 400, 500, 550’s. All nice machines of course.
Title: Re: Hi from South Wales
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 29, 2024, 03:55:23 AM
Welcome Phil, when you can be good to see a photo of your 650.
There is a qualifying period before you can post pics.
Title: Re: Hi from South Wales
Post by: Laverda Dave on May 29, 2024, 01:22:25 PM
Welcome to the forum Phil.

The CB650Z was a nice bike back in the day and was probably the ultimate development of the CB550 engine. They were overshadowed at launch by the then new CB750/900 DOHC models that obviously took all the glory. I know very little about these engines other than the primary chain wear was not the issue on these engines as it was on the 500/550's before it. Good luck with the carbs, I think these used the PD type and known for issues.

Lots of advice on here and you'll never be stuck with a problem.
Title: Re: Hi from South Wales
Post by: taysidedragon on May 29, 2024, 04:33:15 PM
Hi Phil. Welcome to the best forum in Britain from another Taff. From Cardiff originally, but got a bit lost!  8)