Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: beardylondon on May 31, 2024, 07:16:17 PM

Title: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on May 31, 2024, 07:16:17 PM
My Dad is kindly helping me sort out my bike and he took the tank off, and thought it was completely drained, and turned it over and some fuel leaked out and has destroyed the paint.

I was warned when I bought it that the paint on the tank may be iffy, but I didn't expect fuel to damage it this badly.

(https://i.ibb.co/WsfRJ1s/Screenshot-2024-05-31-at-19-03-01.png) (https://ibb.co/WsfRJ1s)

Anyway, lesson learnt, excuse to repaint it properly.

The bike is a 1976 CB550 US import, so it should have originally been Candy Garnet Brown I believe, but someone painted it black like a CB500.

So I'm thinking of perhaps going for Flake Sunrise Orange, which I realise is an earlier colour, but I think it is nice and bright.

I just wondered if anyone has had a tank painted recently and had any advice, especially getting the striping correct etc.

cheers!
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on May 31, 2024, 07:43:26 PM
Flake sunrise is one of the 3 pack candy colours which mostly come in nasty type paints needing air fed masks
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on May 31, 2024, 07:51:13 PM
Thanks, I think I’d get it professionally painted.

However, if too expensive, I may get the correct paint and do it myself, back to black.

And if so, what paint should I be using?

Just found this thread, with some good tips:

https://www.hondatwins.net/threads/arghh-my-tank-paint-dissolved.99961/
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Skoti on May 31, 2024, 09:01:28 PM
I foolishly painted a Honda step thru tank with normal paint and then a few weeks later spilt petrol on it that immediately softened the new paint.

Anyhow after a further repaint I finished it off with Pro XL 2K clear lacquer aerosol and it's been fine ever since.


You may need to take a seat after pricing a professional paint job in flake finish, please report back!



Good luck






Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on May 31, 2024, 09:29:34 PM
If you do it yourself, I would use jet black solvent basecoat (as used on BMW cars) and German made Spraymax 2k in a can gloss aerosol. However, as Bryan says it contains isocyanate and should be painted with an air fed mask. If you are careful you will get a super finish with the Spraymax stuff... The spray pattern from it is superb. If you are using a spray gun then something like Mipa CX4 with HS25 hardener and a 1.2 fluid tip arrangement  with give you a good finish (again it contains isocyanates).

https://www.graff-city.com/spray-paint-c128/spraymax-2k-clear-coat-gloss-400ml-p4243 (out of stock at the moment though  :( )
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on May 31, 2024, 10:29:40 PM
I foolishly painted a Honda step thru tank with normal paint and then a few weeks later spilt petrol on it that immediately softened the new paint.
When you say normal paint do you mean normal automotive paint Skoti? Once I have the dents pulled out on my tank I’m planning to paint it myself. I have used automotive rattle cans before without having a problem but that was a long time ago.  maybe the formulation in auto paint today is less resistant to fuel and I will need a different approach?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Skoti on June 01, 2024, 09:07:58 AM
I foolishly painted a Honda step thru tank with normal paint and then a few weeks later spilt petrol on it that immediately softened the new paint.
When you say normal paint do you mean normal automotive paint Skoti? Once I have the dents pulled out on my tank I’m planning to paint it myself. I have used automotive rattle cans before without having a problem but that was a long time ago.  maybe the formulation in auto paint today is less resistant to fuel and I will need a different approach?

Aye,

I used Motip automotive paint in aerosol cans.
Always had a good results with this stuff.

https://www.motip.com/en-en/automotive-products/car-repair-paints#block-0-6 (https://www.motip.com/en-en/automotive-products/car-repair-paints#block-0-6)



I used the primer, then colour coat and finished with clear lacquer.

TBH. I think the clear lacquer was the problem, I soon as I split petrol on it I reached for a paper towel to wipe it but it had immediately softened and turned into a gooey mess.

Paint experts on here will probably agree that quality petrol resistant 2K lacquer is the way to go.

Good luck


P.S.

don't leave too much overspray around the filler neck or fuel tap area or the new paint will eventually lift.     
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Seabeowner on June 01, 2024, 07:22:48 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a 500 tank and panels at the moment. Mostly aerosol cans but using a very old paint sprayer for the base. It was going to be candy garnet brown, but now it's just candy brown.

https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/products/candy-copper-brown/

I have the Spraymax lacquer, hope it protects the paint, but it needs extra precautions when using.  Hopefully results in a few weeks if the weather warms up.
Should have a set of the stripes decals left over as there was a c--k up. Said to Piki will donate any money for them to the forum.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: DomP on June 02, 2024, 08:29:34 AM
I'm considering doing my own paint job too, will spraymax 2k go over any aerosol base?  What kind of mask is needed to be safe?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 02, 2024, 02:15:54 PM
I'm considering doing my own paint job too, will spraymax 2k go over any aerosol base?  What kind of mask is needed to be safe?
  Really you need an air fed mask to be safe. My mate sprays with loads of ventilation and a Gerson disposable carbon filter mask .. personally I only use an air fed one.
I would only use decent aerosol base coat from an auto paint supplier. They are not mega expensive and you are guaranteed to end up without a paint reaction. RS bikepaint call it COB (clear over base) but their aerosols are an  absolute rip off compared with ones from a paint factors
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: DomP on June 02, 2024, 02:53:57 PM
I'll get a quote first I think, I had my xs done by ultimate bike paint for £350 a couple of years ago
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Honda enthusiast on June 02, 2024, 10:06:44 PM
Guys whatever you do don't be tempted to spray 2k at home without a tried and tested air fed mask setup...for that you need a powerful compressor and a professional air fed mask...an alternative is to get your prep, primer and base coat on, put the decals on and get a body shop to spray the clear coat in 2k on the next day at the latest as the base coat changes shade slightly if left uncoated with clear....the previous coats can all be in cellulose which can be sprayed in ventilated areas with a carbon mask and eye protection....
I have sprayed hmg nisocoat clear on the RGS which is a fully hardening non isocyanate 2k clear...it's difficult to spray at home as it's so thick[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Laverdaroo on June 03, 2024, 10:31:44 AM
Ask for Tim, tell him I have you the number, he’s worth a try, he’s very very talented

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240603/1c1357043aa842dea00cb803dfeb269b.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 03, 2024, 04:33:34 PM
Thanks for all the tips and info, much appreciated!

We are getting quotes locally, and two questions:

What is the paint code for the black, seemingly from CB500, which my bike most likely is?

Also how do you remove the tank badges?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 03, 2024, 08:16:33 PM
Tank badges have pins on the back that go into clips, or they do till they break off and get glued on.
Remove by sliding a thin flexible knife between badge and tank and levering carefully(both ends!).
As to colour Honds did not use standard paint codes at that time so whatever it is wont help
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 03, 2024, 09:00:44 PM
The black paint is Honda NH1, still widely available and if you loose the tank badge clips, or if they fall apart, I have plenty in stock.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Robert W on June 06, 2024, 06:29:10 PM
All fast drying spray cans are lacquer based. They have a high amount of lacquer thinner in them. In order to do multiple coats and multiple colors, they need to be sprayed within an hour or so or you'll get the dreaded wrinkling effect. These paints are not gasoline resistant. The high lacquer content is used to slightly dissolve the 1st coat for 2nd coat adherence. If you wait too long, like a day, you will get the wrinkle effect.

There are enamel paints which are oil based and can take up to a day or 2 to dry enough for a second coat or second color. They are more gasoline resistant but color choices are limited. These paints do not wrinkle because they don't have the same solvents in them.

The best paints would be automotive paint and a HVLP paint sprayer setup. Unfortunately, most people don't have this. I used to paint with lacquers and then finalize my paint with several coats of clear lacquer to resist gasoline spills. It worked to a certain degree if you wiped it off immediately. But now that I've gotten used to spraying automotive paints, urethane based, it's really the best and most durable way.

What you could do is paint either lacquer or enamel with spray cans, and organize with an automotive paint shop to finalize your paint job with a urethane clear coat. It won't react with either. You may have to lightly wet sand your paint job with 600 grit just to give something for the urethane clear coat to adhere to.

I am not a paint guru but I have lacquer painted a lot of motorcycles in the past like 40 years ago and just restarted painting motorcycles after teaching myself how to paint cars.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 07, 2024, 10:50:12 AM
My experience with taking a DIY tank to an automotive paint shop  just to clear- coat was a real downer. Everyone I took it to wouldn't
 entertain it, even though I said there would be no recriminations if it turned out crap due to the DIY paint. The final straw was when I took it to a back street guy who rents space from my friend for his own spray business. He just said "dont do bikes mate ".  However, he recommended I have a go myself, which I did.....OK I had to invest in decent gear which second hand cost me around £300 but if you choose wisely (Devibiss, Sata, Iwata etc). and look after it you will always get a reasonable resale price when you have finished with it. When I went to quite a few of the back street spray guys around here around here there was no sign of an air fed mask even though they were spraying 2k. They were simply using Gersen type carbon filter masks. I saw those masks advertised on eBay being sold as suitable for painting 2k paint. However, when I  challenged the seller  if they were suitable for use with 2K isocyanate paint, he backed down saying that people use them when painting 2K outside.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 07, 2024, 02:49:41 PM
Same as everything, might only be 1 in 500 that gets poisened but if you are that one!
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Seabeowner on June 07, 2024, 06:46:35 PM
I have some brown candy paint supplied that came with 500ml of what is marked 2K thinners. Am I right in assuming that the nasty stuff is in the hardener which I don't have? I also have some other "normal" thinners that was supplied from elsewhere.
I intend to finish with the Spraymax lacquer and use a oil free compressor to feed me air in mask. May do outdoors or in shed with fan blowing air out. Do I need full body protection?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: DomP on June 07, 2024, 07:43:03 PM
Makes me think paying to get it done is a. Safer, b. Cheaper considering purchasing all the kit and c. Likely a better job
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 07, 2024, 09:46:01 PM
Makes me think paying to get it done is a. Safer, b. Cheaper considering purchasing all the kit and c. Likely a better job

I only did it myself as I had lots of painting to do..... also, some bikes just don't justify a pro paint job financially ... the CB250RSA being a prime example.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 08, 2024, 09:37:07 AM
Whilst we talk about DIY painting - anyone used a LVLP spray gun as opposed to the HVLP ones. I've have always used the latter but gleaned the former maybe better for smaller items.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 08, 2024, 10:36:50 AM
Whilst we talk about DIY painting - anyone used a LVLP spray gun as opposed to the HVLP ones. I've have always used the latter but gleaned the former maybe better for smaller items.
Not sure Matt ...mine are Devilbiss SRI Prolite mini guns with TE5 caps. Luckily the needle is the same for both the 1.2 & 1.4 fluid tips I have.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Matt_Harrington on June 08, 2024, 10:39:23 AM
As I need to do a bit of spraying in a month or so, I'll get a LVLP gun and see if there is much difference. I know I already use a 1.4mm nozzle.....
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 17, 2024, 01:49:21 PM
After thinking long and hard, I'm going to go back to the correct decals for the year, which is as below.

Has anyone bought from this company?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254931883243

Am checking with Piki too, see if he does this one.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 17, 2024, 01:53:26 PM
Buy them from forum member Piki, (Diego) he makes them. I'll give him a nudge for you.
Edit..... Diego is going to contact you.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 17, 2024, 02:02:34 PM
Thanks Julie!
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 17, 2024, 02:20:19 PM
Thanks Julie!

+1 on Piki's decals ... they are spot on!
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 18, 2024, 08:08:45 AM
+2 on Piki's decals, the best and he has in stock (or can make if you send him a pattern) those hard to get decals such as the regulator wiring colour guide.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 18, 2024, 10:30:40 AM
Thank you all! I'm in contact with Piki.

Because my bike currently has the wrong graphics, I have no frame of reference where I have to apply the new new graphics.

Does any one have, or could take, measurements so I can get the placement correct on the tank?

Cheers!
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 22, 2024, 07:19:39 PM
Has anyone got a CB550 and if so please could they measure the decal on the tank, so I can figure out the position!?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on June 22, 2024, 10:25:55 PM
I think mine is exactly the same model as yours (1976 US import). Can you tell me what you want measuring and I’ll try and come back with the dimensions. What datum points you want the measurements from and what wants measuring etc. happy to send a photo if that would help
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 23, 2024, 07:19:30 PM
Thanks Mike, yes please send photo, that would be most useful! Thank you
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on June 24, 2024, 08:02:08 AM
Here is a picture; I’m not sure if this will be helpful for you. If you need anything else: more pictures, measurements, let me know.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 24, 2024, 10:15:08 AM
Hi Mike, thank you, very helpful, as I have not found a up close before.

It looks like the graphic should find its centre on the tank, however if you wouldn't mind measuring as per attached points, it will help guide me!

Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Gromitdog on June 24, 2024, 10:41:52 AM
Hi
I am away till Saturday i have the Honda paint codes i can send you if that helps you ?
Gromitdog
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 24, 2024, 10:49:27 AM
Thanks, yes could you send me the code for flake sunrise orange
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on June 24, 2024, 01:52:29 PM
Hi Mike, thank you, very helpful, as I have not found a up close before.

It looks like the graphic should find its centre on the tank, however if you wouldn't mind measuring as per attached points, it will help guide me!

No problem, measurements below note that I used a steel rule and followed the contour of the tank. Measurements for E & F are from the top edge of the trim strip to the bottom of the white line not the black line that is below the white line as it was easier to see the edge with the rule:

A - 48mm
B - 84mm
C - 26mm
D - 23mm
E - 49mm
F - 45 mm

If you think any of these look off then let me know and I will measure again.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 24, 2024, 02:45:08 PM
Thank you very much Mike!  8)
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 25, 2024, 08:08:30 PM
Has anyone got the paint code for flake orange sunrise?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2024, 08:53:56 PM
Yet again i say it THERE IS NO CODE FOR HONDA PAINTS
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 25, 2024, 10:43:51 PM
Ok, I’ll pick a random colour and hope for the best then?

Anyone else got a sensible suggestion, who has used that colour?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 25, 2024, 10:54:00 PM
Ok, I’ll pick a random colour and hope for the best then?

Anyone else got a sensible suggestion, who has used that colour?
RS Paints stock it.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2024, 08:33:28 AM
Ok, I’ll pick a random colour and hope for the best then?

Anyone else got a sensible suggestion, who has used that colour?
RS Paints stock it.

Shame nobody else does it as RS paints are Fookin expensive. I am biased though as they lost my mega rare NOS part I loaned them for a colour match and they didn't even apologise...told me it was my fault 'cos I left the part with them for more than a few weeks. Also, If you ever get aerosols from them make sure they don't supply water based paint  as I had about three cans at mega money that spluttered droplets right at the last coat and ruined the finish. They told me to heat the can , sent replacement nozzles etc.  But they were still sh*te. Once I switched to their C.O.B. (clear-over-base) solvent based aerosols the finish was OK but the spray pattern/delivery wasn't as good a aerosols I got from Paints4U in Grimsby that cost less than half the price of RS ....  plus Paints4U did free shipping for orders over 60 quid, which RS don't do.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 08:39:39 AM
Thanks Julie.

From looking at CB550 1975 colours on RS paint website, Candy Sapphire Blue came up, maybe it's a mistake, as I can't find any online apart from the attached CB500 and a 550 which is watermarked

This says not:

http://www.sohc4.com/bikes/cb550/

But does anyone know, did Honda make CB550 in this blue, with the 1975 tank graphics?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 26, 2024, 09:33:02 AM
I think so for the USA,
To frther explain he paint code question, which is asked probably once a month, Honda never used industry standard paint codes for their colours plus most of the metallics are 3 stage "candy" colours which have a metallic base, transparent colour(which changes depending on depth of coats) and topped with a laquer. All of these were and are isocyanate paints requiring a lot of special gear to spray safely.
Appologies if my previous answer was terse but i do get fed up of answering the same question time and agaiin when the search function works
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 26, 2024, 09:58:37 AM
Thanks Julie.

From looking at CB550 1975 colours on RS paint website, Candy Sapphire Blue came up, maybe it's a mistake, as I can't find any online apart from the attached CB500 and a 550 which is watermarked

This says not:

http://www.sohc4.com/bikes/cb550/

But does anyone know, did Honda make CB550 in this blue, with the 1975 tank graphics?
[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 10:21:18 AM
Yes, that is exactly what I found on their website.

Thanks Julie.

From looking at CB550 1975 colours on RS paint website, Candy Sapphire Blue came up, maybe it's a mistake, as I can't find any online apart from the attached CB500 and a 550 which is watermarked

This says not:

http://www.sohc4.com/bikes/cb550/

But does anyone know, did Honda make CB550 in this blue, with the 1975 tank graphics?
(Attachment Link)
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 26, 2024, 10:28:20 AM
No idea to be honest, USA colours and tank decal specs are a mystery to me but, as it's been sat D many times before, you can't trust everything you read on tinternet. You could ask on the USA forum, but even then, you may get conflicting answers.
I'm assuming it's a USA model and not an European Market import? as their colours / models etc were different again.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2024, 10:30:51 AM
I think so for the USA,
To frther explain he paint code question, which is asked probably once a month, Honda never used industry standard paint codes for their colours plus most of the metallics are 3 stage "candy" colours which have a metallic base, transparent colour(which changes depending on depth of coats) and topped with a laquer. All of these were and are isocyanate paints requiring a lot of special gear to spray safely.
Appologies if my previous answer was terse but i do get fed up of answering the same question time and agaiin when the search function works

Pretty sure it's only the clear coat which contains isocyanates Bryan. The base coat paints I have had from RS COB and water based did not contain iso. They also sell solid colours in cellulose. RS also sell a non-isocyanate clear but I gather it takes ages to harden. Most of their base paints are made by Lechler which is a mid quality brand.

I am just base coating my CB250RSA with Nassau Blue pearl and the paint was just over £60 delivered which thins to 2 litres of paint. All of RS's paint is pre-thinned ...imagine how much they would charge for 2l of paint plus shipping. Amazingly, I used Honda's paint 'code/ref' PB-112M to find it online.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 10:38:15 AM
Thanks for the info.

How much paint would I need to buy for the tank and 2 side panels?

@Julie, yes my bike is USA Model.

Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2024, 11:11:24 AM
Thanks for the info.

How much paint would I need to buy for the tank and 2 side panels?

@Julie, yes my bike is USA Model.

Menno is really your go-to guy on here for this information. The only advice I can offer is my friend had his CB500K2 tank and side panels done in Candy Green and he bought 0.5l of metallic ground-coat and 0.5l candy coat (this was from RS and was pre-thinned solvent paint). There was still a fair bit left over afterwards. As Bryan correctly  says, the clear-coat would almost certainly be isocyanate based and needs proper air fed mask to apply. Most paint shops have gallons of the stuff on the shelf. Mipa CX clear-coat is a decent quality product or Spraymax gloss finish 2k if using aerosols. Both of these are isocyanate cured.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 11:39:01 AM
Thanks Ash!

Just so im clear, I cant see options for metallic ground-coat and candy coat?

I guess I should call them.

Thanks for the info.

How much paint would I need to buy for the tank and 2 side panels?

@Julie, yes my bike is USA Model.

Menno is really your go-to guy on here for this information. The only advice I can offer is my friend had his CB500K2 tank and side panels done in Candy Green and he bought 0.5l of metallic ground-coat and 0.5l candy coat (this was from RS and was pre-thinned solvent paint). There was still a fair bit left over afterwards. As Bryan correctly  says, the clear-coat would almost certainly be isocyanate based and needs proper air fed mask to apply. Most paint shops have gallons of the stuff on the shelf. Mipa CX clear-coat is a decent quality product or Spraymax gloss finish 2k if using aerosols. Both of these are isocyanate cured.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 12:05:32 PM
This says there are Honda paint codes....

http://www.vsource.org/VFR-RVF_files/BHondaPaintCodes.htm

Candy Sapphire Blue is PB-3C-C. Whether or not a modern paint shop can interrupt them is another matter!

here a photo of an old tin:

https://www.instagram.com/p/teSmJZAViS

I think so for the USA,
To frther explain he paint code question, which is asked probably once a month, Honda never used industry standard paint codes for their colours plus most of the metallics are 3 stage "candy" colours which have a metallic base, transparent colour(which changes depending on depth of coats) and topped with a laquer. All of these were and are isocyanate paints requiring a lot of special gear to spray safely.
Appologies if my previous answer was terse but i do get fed up of answering the same question time and agaiin when the search function works
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2024, 12:30:03 PM
You have to be careful with those codes ... for instance a CB250K2 candy gold and white tank will have a code which is not an individual colour but a code for the combined colour scheme.

Technically I think Bryan is correct .. Honda did supply those touch up cans with bikes but didn't really supply paint for refinishing parts ...they farmed it out to 3rd parties and often their quoted 'codes' are meaningless. I was lucky with my CB250RS .. maybe 'cos it'sa 1980's model and perhaps used on other automotive products.

As I say Menno is the real expert here....I am just a novice trying to paint some of my bikes which will never financially justify the cost of a pro paint job.

Worth comparing these guys with RS on price. https://www.rapidpaints.co.uk/search?q=PB-3C-C
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 12:34:49 PM
Thanks so much
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2024, 01:16:52 PM
Here are the 1970's Paint Bulletins that Honda issued where they had farmed out paint supply to Lubri-tech in the USA. Note ...no codes given.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/3ulisgrtwkb5gok8eq1rm/Paint-Honda.pdf?rlkey=5ii604sbofl7k8yb1fkd1ul5s&st=uovtdbdz&dl=0
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 26, 2024, 07:10:12 PM
The yellow used on the 400/4, Parakeet Yellow doesn't have any code and that was the official response I got from Honda Japan a couple of months ago.
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 26, 2024, 09:22:11 PM
Beardy what i said was there are NO INDUSTRY STANDARD codes, try asking a paint supplier to mix a colour from the code list you showed
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on June 26, 2024, 10:24:49 PM
Thanks!

I DONT NEED TO, AS I SPOKE TO RS PAINTS TODAY AND ITS ALL SORTED!

 ;D✔️

Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 27, 2024, 07:45:57 AM
Thanks!

I DONT NEED TO, AS I SPOKE TO RS PAINTS TODAY AND ITS ALL SORTED!

 ;D✔️

And your wallet will be significantly lighter when you buy it  ;)

Problem is people do a good job of scanning Honda colours but don't pass on the formulations. Interesting that after I bought my Honda Nassau Blue pearl paint (to which the paint company had assigned the Honda production 'code' ) a lady called me about a month later to ask how I was getting on with the paint supplied and that if I needed advice on any other Honda bike paint to call her. As I said before I am slightly biased because RS lost my NOS part with no apology for doing so and when the WB paint aerosols spluttered didn't really try to help me other than supply new nozzles ... which made  no difference. A decent company would have replaced all cans FOC, not try to switch the blame onto the user.  Also I bought aerosols in solid colour Honda Scarlet for about 23 quid a pop (cellulose paint) and when I ordered more they told me a I needed the proper base-coat to go with it. When I asked about the basecoat price it too was £23 a can and was basically just white ground-coat, available for half that price from most pro. auto paint suppliers.

I have NEVER come across a pro painter who, by choice,  .. i.e. not dictated to by the customer, uses RS paint. They simply can't justify the cost. However, I know of painters who buy a small quantity from RS, then do a spray-out card and scan the colour or match it by eye and get it mixed themselves. They also mix candy pigment into clear binder rather than buying pre-mixed candy lacquer. https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/product-category/candy-concentrates-powders/
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryanj on June 27, 2024, 12:15:55 PM
When RS was in the north and run by dad they were great, after they moved not so much
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on July 08, 2024, 01:47:03 PM
Thanks all.

Question now is, do I put the stripes on the tank before or after lacquer coat?
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: DomP on July 08, 2024, 08:02:51 PM
I maybe wrong but I thought it was lacquer decals the lacquer again
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryn on July 15, 2024, 02:24:35 PM
Thanks!

I DONT NEED TO, AS I SPOKE TO RS PAINTS TODAY AND ITS ALL SORTED!

 ;D✔️

And your wallet will be significantly lighter when you buy it  ;)

Problem is people do a good job of scanning Honda colours but don't pass on the formulations. Interesting that after I bought my Honda Nassau Blue pearl paint (to which the paint company had assigned the Honda production 'code' ) a lady called me about a month later to ask how I was getting on with the paint supplied and that if I needed advice on any other Honda bike paint to call her. As I said before I am slightly biased because RS lost my NOS part with no apology for doing so and when the WB paint aerosols spluttered didn't really try to help me other than supply new nozzles ... which made  no difference. A decent company would have replaced all cans FOC, not try to switch the blame onto the user.  Also I bought aerosols in solid colour Honda Scarlet for about 23 quid a pop (cellulose paint) and when I ordered more they told me a I needed the proper base-coat to go with it. When I asked about the basecoat price it too was £23 a can and was basically just white ground-coat, available for half that price from most pro. auto paint suppliers.

I have NEVER come across a pro painter who, by choice,  .. i.e. not dictated to by the customer, uses RS paint. They simply can't justify the cost. However, I know of painters who buy a small quantity from RS, then do a spray-out card and scan the colour or match it by eye and get it mixed themselves. They also mix candy pigment into clear binder rather than buying pre-mixed candy lacquer. https://perfectpearlsandpigments.co.uk/product-category/candy-concentrates-powders/


Just had a great paint job done on my 550K3 by a local painter… works from home… Tank completely stripped back to bare metal, dents pulled out, side panels stripped and repaired and then the whole lot painted in Candy Kent Brown…. Just checked the bottle of the spare paint he gave me (Leftover) RS Paints  8) all for £550

Greg. ….He’s on instagram …. brokespeed_Motoworks

Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 15, 2024, 03:08:17 PM
Bryn, I thought the K3 only came in Candy Garnet Brown and Excel Black? Is yours a UK model or a USA import. (I don't know much at all about USA colours as they were totally different for the UK market across the whole Honda CB SOHC 4 model ranges)
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryn on July 15, 2024, 03:42:28 PM
I watched Greg look up the paint for the bike on the RS paints website and it came up with Candy Kent Brown

Mine was originall registered in Northern Ireland… just had a quick search on the sohc4 US forum and found this …..


‘Candy Kent Brown (code YR-3C) was used on the CB550 K3 overseas, but it’s a rarely seen color on th3 USA market bikes

Candy Garnett Brown (YR-2C) was used on the CB550K2 USA market bikes and it’s close in color to the Candy Kent Brown’


So I’d gather from that the ‘overseas’ is not USA  8)
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 15, 2024, 04:09:53 PM
Indeed it is a UK model, June 1977 registered K3. I bought a K3 in bags, tupperware boxes and pyrex pudding bowls a few years back. Never had any intention of restoring it to stock, it eventually ended up as what we know on the forum as 'Millie the Mongrel'. Other than the frame, I don't think any of it is K3 now 😂😂😂😂😂
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: Bryn on July 15, 2024, 04:29:22 PM
At least mine was pre assembled  ;D
Title: Re: Paint disaster / new colour
Post by: beardylondon on November 01, 2024, 08:53:58 PM
Massive thanks to Piki for the new decals, I had the tank freshly painted and then painstakingly fitted the decals and then they were lacquered over.

A long drawn out process for various reasons, but well worth it!

(https://i.ibb.co/qMmQJ2q/Screenshot-2024-11-01-at-20-59-11.png) (https://ibb.co/wNpmc2G)