Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Dolomite_ on June 06, 2024, 08:45:24 AM

Title: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 06, 2024, 08:45:24 AM
Is there a way to lock the transmission with the tool to torque up the primary shaft bolt?

If there isn't an easy way to lock it before it goes back in the bike I'll just have torque it up when the cluck is on and I can lock it with the back brake.
Title: Re: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: TrickyMicky on June 06, 2024, 11:47:32 AM
This may be a long shot, but, in similar circumstances I've jammed the teeth on gear wheels using the plastic spanner that's supplied with Flymo hover mowers. The plastic is quite tough, but not brittle, so will not damage the gear teeth.
Title: Re: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: taysidedragon on June 06, 2024, 11:49:04 AM
From memory, you can put a clean rag between the exposed gears so when you torque the nut the rag stops things turning. Another way is to put a socket extension bar through the small ends on the conrods to stop the engine turning. HTH.
Title: Re: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 06, 2024, 12:07:23 PM
I used the conrod method - I made sure I had a cushion between the block and the socket bar to prevent any chance of marking it.
Title: Re: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 06, 2024, 01:56:11 PM
I thought about putting something through the conrods but thought it might not be strong enough. I'll give it a go.

Thanks!

Edit: it worked perfectly
Title: Re: Torquing the primary shaft bolt, how to lock the transmission.
Post by: taysidedragon on June 06, 2024, 02:46:21 PM
👍