Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: JezzaPeach on June 10, 2024, 09:42:53 AM

Title: Carb leak…not/new fuel lines just done
Post by: JezzaPeach on June 10, 2024, 09:42:53 AM
Just a note to say it looks like what I thought were leaks from float bowl joints (supposedly due to float valves letting by) was actually coming from the union of the fuel pipe on the carb. Now hopefully sorted by pushing the pipe on a bit more and twisted wire reinforcement. Just in case anyone else has had the same. 
Title: Re: Carb leak
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 10, 2024, 01:37:21 PM
When I fiited the replacement petrol pipe on my 500 I used spring clips at the carb end but not at the tank end as I was using a temporary petrol tank so they were connected to a T piece. My pipe was clearly softer at the T piece end and started to weep after a couple of days in use..

The pipe was E10 safe from Planet Silicone - it appears that the pipe looses some elasticity once in use so a clip is essential.
Title: Re: Carb leak
Post by: JezzaPeach on June 10, 2024, 01:39:56 PM
Noted thanks Ted 👍
Title: Re: Carb leak/new fuel pipes
Post by: JezzaPeach on July 11, 2024, 04:02:14 PM
Thanks again to Ted, and Julie. I found the 5.4/9.4 pipe from Planet Silicone and although I tried buying clips, I found the ones I already had were a better fit, helped by a touch of red rubber grease helping them slide along the pipe. After locking the twistgrip open and taking the seat and side panel off for better access, I put the clips on and slid the pipe forwards through the holes in the carb plate, then manipulated them with a small screwdriver and ultra long nose pliers, plus a little red rubber grease in the pipe made a big difference, also pushing the tight clip along gently with the screwdriver tip. These are the clips 9.8mm to 10.4mm:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222287989370?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=POBDckFASF2&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=hkXEB8tRRti&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY