Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Seamus on October 07, 2010, 05:35:20 PM

Title: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: Seamus on October 07, 2010, 05:35:20 PM
Looking to refill the front forks on the K2. As already known, the original manual recommended 10-30 oil. Was there special fork oil in 1972?
What is the modern view? I was thinking of using a modern 10-20 fork oil. Any reason not to?

Cheers

Seamus
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: K2-K6 on October 07, 2010, 09:22:12 PM
I'd go with that, seems sensible. If you go too high it starts to make the bike bounce on the partial hydraulic locking rather than deflect over small bumps.
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: Seamus on October 07, 2010, 10:53:41 PM
Thanks Ash. That was my gut feeling, but it always helps to tap into the experience on this forum.

Cheers

Seamus
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: Bryanj on October 08, 2010, 06:30:44 AM
There was no specific fork oil back then and Ive never seen 10-20. 10, 15, 20 yes but not a multigrade in fork oil
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: florence on October 08, 2010, 08:34:34 AM
I put 10w40 mutigrade oil in mine once because I didn't have anything else but it made it a bit too solid.  Now, I use only single estate unfiltered extra virgin olive oil.  ;D

Joking apart I think off the shelf fork oil does the job fine.

Steve
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: PMK on October 08, 2010, 05:06:33 PM
I used 20w in my F2 forks

It seems all o.k to me
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: Spitfire on October 10, 2010, 09:18:57 AM
I just went into Halfords and bought a bottle labelled "Motorcycle Fork oil", works for me.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Was there ever a final decision on fork oil
Post by: steff750 on October 13, 2010, 08:05:59 PM
 ::) i have used automatic transmission oil (the red stuff) for donkey's years, it was reccomended in one of the bike manuel's cant recall which one  ::) i think it also reccomended castrol GTX for the engine like i said it was years ago at a time when oil was really cheap u know