Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: JamesH on June 12, 2024, 07:48:01 PM
-
Apologies for not posting any project threads or updates for a while. Have had a few things going on health-wise that means I’ve needed to take a step back from the bikes for a while to reassess things (hence my post last year about selling up). I was also about to lose my storage unit, but thankfully that’s resolved now and I’m in the process of buying it.
Anyway - this one has been with me since 2016 and after an initial light recommission back in 2016, I decided to show it some love over the winter and give it a very deep clean and service. She’s totally unrestored other than polished covers and fork lowers.
It’s a very low mile original K1, and now that I’ve cleaned her she’s going to remain in the fleet for some time I suspect.
I’ll write a separate post outlining the work undertaken. She smokes like a b**tard on initial startup - could either be an oil control issue, valve stem seals, or might just need a decent 100 miles ride (she’s not been on the side stand).
Anyway a few pics:
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/b4cc7af25d2eda6a1dadba924aae3058.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/0f01087ca891dc006e83095d54ff1b8b.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/658610b770d6df618290fd2686c9fc11.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/086a82470d89a4c5c09af65364d65a8a.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/aa7a714ad0c88232bb4d05a63c91b47d.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240612/c36f890fa74a87e3b92502cde552afd1.jpg)
-
That’s VERY yellow that isn’t it? Kinda like it though.
As ever not a blemish on anything from your workshop James. Lovely looking thing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I take it its an import James, i only remember blue and red in uk.
Has it got a grease nipple on top of the flage where crownwheel unit bolts to swingarm?
-
Hi Bryan. Yeah it’s a US bike like most of mine. No grease nipple (I think they added that to the K2 in ‘77). I’ve had the rear wheel off anyway to change the tyre, so the drown wheel and splines were fully greased manually with good coverage.
-
Its not for the crownwheel James, its for the sliding joints that connects the driveshaft to pinion, the splines wear out extremely quickly witout the grease.
Where i worked had the first GL1000 in gloucestershire and that spline wore out by 10,000 miles, i used to have the 2 bits nos but i have a feeling they were binned last year.
-
That's a very, very nice looking bike.👍👍👍
-
Welcome back James :).
Hopefully you are OK health wise or at least on the road to recovery. You just don't know what is around the corner and just have to live life to the full every day.
Anyway, yes, lovely bike, takes me back to the mid 70's when I first saw a Goldwing at D&H Motorcycles. Being about 16 at the time I helped myself to a sales leaflet and it was a yellow GoldWing on the front with the Honda Goldwing Executive with cast wheels as the centre spread.
Being a Yellow Goldwing means it will be the fastest model just as the yellow 400/4's were the fastest back in the 70's ::)
Good luck with the deep clean and refresh and good to see you back :)
-
That looks immaculate James . Hope you are OK sounds like you have had a rough time lately.
Did anyone see this one for sale .. Ot didn't hang around long. I know people criticize DS but he does get some lovely bikes and priced reasonably IMHO.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
-
Hi James,
Glad you are back tinkering - especially with a 'Wing! I had a 75 blue one, very clean and almost original but yours of course is streets ahead of mine. My old one is still in Orkney, in South Ronaldsay. I only gave up 'Winging last year after 35 wonderful fun-filled years and 6 bikes when I sold my GL1500 SE Anniversary and bought a 350 Forza. Just returned from a European tour on it with 2 Orcadian couples: 2880 miles @ 92mpg and was never in the wrong gear!
Still have my shiny orange 550F1 you supplied and should be out on it on Saturday in the pissing rain for our annual motorcycle gathering.
Ian
-
Always had a soft spot for these early Gold Wings. Before they got covered in fairings, top boxes etc.
Never owned one, but I know a few guys who did, and the handling and cornering of the big lumps really surprised me. Benefit of keeping the weight lower I guess.
oh, yes, and I love that yellow!
-
That's lovely, I still have a hankering for an early one, (the later don't do anything for me personally). Hope your health is good now.
-
Firstly James all the very best health wise, that’s a lovely looking bike, stunning condition but not surprising coming from your stable. Ash that was a very nice one at DS too, a good buy for someone. As Ian said bike meet here the day but at the minute thick fog and drizzle, not looking good and just the flavour of our summer here so far!😡😡
-
First of all hope your health has improved and second what a beautiful and highly distinctive bike you have there, I have only ever rode one once, and I was astonished at how smooth it was and how nimble it was once you got moving.
Cheers
Dennis