Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Laverdaroo on June 14, 2024, 12:35:13 PM
-
This looks a good hoot!
This is the China spec from what I gather but looks quite a handy thing in the right scenario
https://youtube.com/shorts/0OzX-jTpQzg?si=S3MkMAphSl2GxRYD
https://japan.webike.net/moto_news/latest-news/20231218-new-cb400-will-be-launched-in-2025-hondas-400cc-4-cylinder-engine-is-back/?amp=1
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Looks interesting. I presume a siamesed exhaust port if it is a 4 pot as I can only see 2 headers.
-
Check out the we bike article, scroll right down, there’s a bit no if n info but not much, think it has 4….
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
They look nice if a bit on the plastic side and somehow very similar to the CB650 motor. But.......no YELLOW paintwork :'(, it’s a 400/4, where’s the parakeet yellow :o.
It just shows how the motorcycle world is moving on with the global production of motorcycles taking place in the countries who can offer the cheapest labour and who allow huge factories to be built quickly. I know the Japanese factories have taken a similar path in the past with both Honda and Yamaha using Brazil as a production facility (and also in Italy and the US but that was to get over import duties).
I think with the emergence of Royal Enfield in particular the likes of Honda etc, are having to shift manufacture of motorcycles to compete pricewise. Would I buy a motorcycle made in China if it had a Honda logo on it, No. Having witnessed firsthand the sometimes poor quality control of Chinese made products once they have won a big order and the clients have left the country I will continue to steer clear. I have however bought an Indian made Royal Enfield and can say the quality (apart from the switchgear maybe) is easily up there with the likes of Triumph, Honda etc .
Norton (in the Garner days) was planning on having the crankcases and major castings for their new V4 and the 600 twin engines made in China. I was told this by the technical guru on the Norton stand at the NEC as I was about to write a cheque for £500 as my deposit for the new Norton Atlas (and I was going to receive the bike by April of the following year he said......... ::)), when I heard it was a part Chinese made engine I thought better of it. The story goes that just before Garner was found out he sold the rights to the Norton designed V4 engine to the Chinese and it was going to be manufactured under a Chinese name. In the aftermath of the Garner era it was reported that TVS who bought Norton, the V4 motor had a good few faults and it had to be redesigned. I haven’t seen a Chinese bike using the original Norton V4 designed engine so maybe they were also caught out by the Garner smokescreen just as Vince Cable was when he handed him £M’s of tax payers money to build the Norton apprentice training centre that never happened! Still, Donnington Hall looks nice, I wonder what pension pot paid for the renovation of that building ???
-
No, it's got that mechanical insect look about it. Chinese bits ends the matter! :o
-
Surely I'm not the only one who is old enough to remember the exact same comments being made about Honda etc. in 1958/59?
-
Surely I'm not the only one who is old enough to remember the exact same comments being made about Honda etc. in 1958/59?
Not at all, I was born in 1957, the year of Sputnik! ;D
-
No, it's got that mechanical insect look about it. Chinese bits ends the matter! :o
Ah yes Grasshoper I see what you mean about the single bug eyed Ant front stance - the bit I do not like is that bit of a plastic plank cantilevered over the rear tyre masqueraiding as a rear seat/ rear fender.
I suspect the Chinese can build a good engine if Honda write the specification, they seem to be able to make the iPhones for Apple at a suitable premium price!
-
I suspect the Chinese can build a good engine if Honda write the specification, they seem to be able to make the iPhones for Apple at a suitable premium price!
We should not support the work of communist stooges! ;)
-
They look nice if a bit on the plastic side and somehow very similar to the CB650 motor. But.......no YELLOW paintwork :'(, it’s a 400/4, where’s the parakeet yellow :o.
It just shows how the motorcycle world is moving on with the global production of motorcycles taking place in the countries who can offer the cheapest labour and who allow huge factories to be built quickly. I know the Japanese factories have taken a similar path in the past with both Honda and Yamaha using Brazil as a production facility (and also in Italy and the US but that was to get over import duties).
I think with the emergence of Royal Enfield in particular the likes of Honda etc, are having to shift manufacture of motorcycles to compete pricewise. Would I buy a motorcycle made in China if it had a Honda logo on it, No. Having witnessed firsthand the sometimes poor quality control of Chinese made products once they have won a big order and the clients have left the country I will continue to steer clear. I have however bought an Indian made Royal Enfield and can say the quality (apart from the switchgear maybe) is easily up there with the likes of Triumph, Honda etc .
Norton (in the Garner days) was planning on having the crankcases and major castings for their new V4 and the 600 twin engines made in China. I was told this by the technical guru on the Norton stand at the NEC as I was about to write a cheque for £500 as my deposit for the new Norton Atlas (and I was going to receive the bike by April of the following year he said......... ::)), when I heard it was a part Chinese made engine I thought better of it. The story goes that just before Garner was found out he sold the rights to the Norton designed V4 engine to the Chinese and it was going to be manufactured under a Chinese name. In the aftermath of the Garner era it was reported that TVS who bought Norton, the V4 motor had a good few faults and it had to be redesigned. I haven’t seen a Chinese bike using the original Norton V4 designed engine so maybe they were also caught out by the Garner smokescreen just as Vince Cable was when he handed him £M’s of tax payers money to build the Norton apprentice training centre that never happened! Still, Donnington Hall looks nice, I wonder what pension pot paid for the renovation of that building ???
Aye Dave,
interesting post about Chinese stuff and I sort of see where you're coming from.
But can any of our UK forum members here think back to the late sixties motorcycle scene when we talked about 'Jap Crap'?
Well It wasn't long before we had to eat our own words and I think probably the same may soon apply to the saying 'Chinese junk'.
-
Aye Dave,
interesting post about Chinese stuff and I sort of see where you're coming from.
But can any of our UK forum members here think back to the late sixties motorcycle scene when we talked about 'Jap Crap'?
Well It wasn't long before we had to eat our own words and I think probably the same may soon apply to the saying 'Chinese junk'.
I'm far too young to go back that far (!) but wasn't part of that expression about peoples perception of an infiltrator to the Empire of British bikes?
Similar issues also surround Bajaj in India. I'm sure Honda will be scrutinising every bike when made in the same way Triumph are with their new 400's - lets hope the components are made well!
-
Might look better without the horrible matte paint,,
Looks like the boring cb650r I owned ,briefly, before I grew tired of the gutless engine and bland looks,speed triple got me smiling again.😁