Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: beemsquar on June 23, 2024, 05:12:50 PM
-
Good evening all,
On inspection of my bike I've noticed the the rear wheel washer and circlip have been mangled somehow and are now no longer usable. They are parts 2 and 16 in the Haynes manual and I'm struggling to attach a image.
I don't have a sprocket cover and I'm running an aftermarket sprocket anyway. I also don't have item 18, locking washers and wonder if that's what's caused the problem?
I bought the bike a while ago and am learning as I go. Can someone tell me if the circlip attaches to the bearing retaining ring, or what the purpose of the 3 parts above is, as I can't see what they are holding on or spacing.
As far as I can see, these parts aren't available from David Silver Spares or CMSL.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Also is this safe to ride 10 miles to the garage?
Many thanks.
-
Steve at 400fourbits has the washer and circlip.
https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#running
-
Has the chain been off in the past and damaged them?
-
Amazing, thanks for the reply. The bike was restored about 8 years ago, so was completely stripped down.
What are those parts holding on? I see no groove in the bearing cover plate for the circlip to slot into.
Would I need the 2 locking washers also?
Thanks
-
The groove is on the hub, the washer and circlip hold the sprocket on. IIRC the two locking washers weren't installed originally. Someone on here may know better.
-
You will find the 400 Parts Book shows the Hub, washer & circlip as items 155 & 396.
The circlip fits on the hub as has been said see parts book downloadable on here.
155 is 70 mm i/d washer p/n 41202-286-000 washer
397 is a 69 mm circlip p/n 90665-286-000
I would be minded to find a NOS circlip if available - as has been said might have had a chain drop off or my thinking is circlip was never seated correctly. Not sure if the rear drive rubbers could have started to fall to bits causing sideways pressure?
Steve at 400fourbits has never sold me a bad used part - you need to e mail him for a price.
-
Thanks guys.
So the 4 nuts in the diagram don't hold the sprocket on? It looked to me that way. I'm pretty sure the chain hasn't dropped and think it wasn't installed correctly.
I'm assuming it's not safe to ride then?
-
I would say do not ride it until the clip is in place.
Easy enough to take the wheel out and check if there is any damage to the hub itself.
The four nuts hold the sprocket to the drive cushions in the hub, the circlip and washer hold the whole arrangement to the hub. Check the parts book to see the fittings.
-
This firm do a 69 mm circlip.
.https://www.acorn-ind.co.uk/p/neutral/circlips/1400-0690-neutral/
Simply Bearings list a very close alternative at 69.01 mm.
.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/All-External-Circlips/c4519/index.html?selection=External+Circlip
-
Thank you. I'll check those links out.
-
The reason for the circlip and washer is to allow for movement of the spocket when accelerating and decelerating as the drive cushions absorb the inertia involved.