Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Dolomite_ on June 24, 2024, 08:52:03 PM

Title: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 24, 2024, 08:52:03 PM
The previous owner had the wrong rear indicators so I managed to get a nice original pair from 400fourbits. Ive tested them and got them working. Im guessing the ones on the bike were aftermarket because they didn't have the ground wire. How is this ground wire usually routed? Is it under the seat and into the bit with all the connections from the rear?

The tail light assembly might also have been aftermarket or from a slightly different model. The rear indicators were on a rod that goes through the rear light assembly and not on the little storks from the end of the frame.

Is the rear light meant to light up all the time like the low beam in the headlight? Mine doesn't seem to be lighting up, although I cant remember if it did previously... The brake light works fine. There are only 2 wires coming from the rear light, 1 red,1 black. The wiring diagram says there should be 3 so I appear to be missing the green ground.

I've tested the bulb and both filaments work. I have also tested running a ground wire from different points on the light bracket but it still doesn't light up unless the brake is pulled.

Can anyone spread some "light" on my wiring.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 24, 2024, 10:47:05 PM
Not sure what model you have but this coloured wiring diagram should help you sort the rear lamp out.
It's pretty straight forward - power to the rear side light from the loom, power from the rear brake lamp switch, an earth for the rear lamp unit that earths both filaments.

The indicator earth terminals on the stalk brackets tend to rot out - I fitted an earth terminal inside the indicators that goes down the mounting stalk and is earthed under the seat to an extra earth I fitted.

If you are not using a standard wiring loom but a Motogadget then I cant help you.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Bryanj on June 24, 2024, 10:59:32 PM
Standard rear light has brown, green and green/yellow wires  so light is not standard and yes all the connectors should be in therubber boot
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 25, 2024, 08:48:47 AM
I replaced the main loom with this one https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/WH-377.html a while ago and it all matches up with the diagrams I've used. I think its just an aftermarket rear light that's being iffy.

Should the tail light be on when the low beam is on?

I think for the time being I'll get the indicators connected so I can finally ride it and add the rear light from DSS to my list. But also in the meantime have a fettle about with the rear light to see if I can add the 3rd missing wire.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 25, 2024, 09:06:43 AM
The tail light should be on when the low beam is on simply because you have turned your lights on. The stop lamp should only illuminate when you apply the front or rear brake. If the stop light is on all the time check the rear light switch is adjusted correctly as if not it will always be on.
The electrex world loom is a very good product. The rear indicator earth spade connectors are included and these fix onto the tangs spot welded on the rear of the indicator mountings (and break off as mentioned by Ted as as happened to me a couple of weeks ago).
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 25, 2024, 09:11:52 AM
This is what I made up for a new earth tang, I cut down a 10mm stainless bolt and machines the head down. I used an old picture hook to make a new tang and used a 10mm tap to thread the indicator mounting stalk. The electrex world earth spade connector fitted to the new tang.
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=29537.0;attach=83565;image
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 25, 2024, 09:13:16 AM
https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=29537.0;attach=83567;image
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Laverda Dave on June 25, 2024, 09:14:58 AM
Apologies, it was an 8mm bolt I used. There's just enough meat on the indicator stalk to cut a 8mm thread.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2024, 10:07:06 AM
I used the Eletrexworld loom on my 400 - all the right colours with a few spare wires for other market versions. The rear light should also work in the park position as well as with main & dip.

Is your bike a UK model as the US one I suspect is bigger plus the rear number plate bracket might be different. Prety sure you can find one on ebay.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 25, 2024, 12:48:46 PM
Its a UK bike.

The rear brake light operates fine, only comes on when the front or rear brake is applied. Just need to figure out a temporary fix to get the running light on the rear working. Then eventually get a replacement housing.

Laverda Dave, the rear indicators I got have a power and an earth wire, I'll probably just route them to the longer earth wires that connect to the tang.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2024, 02:41:15 PM
Connect to brown wire in headlamp shell BUT look at 7amp tail fuse first
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Dolomite_ on June 25, 2024, 06:50:23 PM
Connect to brown wire in headlamp shell BUT look at 7amp tail fuse first

There doesn't seem to be any power coming to the brown wire. It looks like the tail light holder grounds itself. One pin on the bulb holder shows voltage when the brake is pulled and the other doesn't show anything.

None of the fuses look blown and I checked the voltage over them but none of them registered much which is odd.

Are the 1st and last fuse spares? Then is the order tail light, headlight, main?
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2024, 08:25:59 PM
I would start looking at the headlamp & switch end where the power comes from.
Title: Re: Rear light and indicators wiring.
Post by: Deano400 on June 26, 2024, 11:56:55 AM
“None of the fuses look blown and I checked the voltage over them but none of them registered much which is odd”.

You need to check the voltage either side of each fuse to earth or remove the fuse and check for continuity.

“Are the 1st and last fuse spares”?

Yes, 1st 7A Spare, last 15A spare.

“Then is the order tail light, headlight, main”?

Yes, that is the correct order for 2nd, 3rd and 4th from top going down.

Is the small separate bulb in the headlamp on as it works with the taillight?