Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 27, 2024, 08:46:58 PM

Title: My 400 first service type adjustmets.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 27, 2024, 08:46:58 PM
I did an oil & filter change during the winter - my magnetic sum plug was clear of any metal - I also opened up the oil filter to check for contents - nothing sinister found.

I started off today by adjusting my rear foot brake travel as the new linnings had bedded in after 298 miles - I moved the brake pedal by one spline so the dots now align.

I also noticed that there was more play than I expected in my chain - sprockets & chain were new so after only 298 miles it took half a turn on the adjusters to get it back to where it was.

Is this normal chain adjustment after fitting the new parts?
Title: Re: My 400 first service type adjustmets.
Post by: Bryanj on June 27, 2024, 09:12:00 PM
My ancient grey cells tell me between 1/2 and 1 turn on 500 service Ted
Title: Re: My 400 first service type adjustmets.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 28, 2024, 01:15:46 PM
Thanks Bryan - in my head I assumed a new chain might need initial adjustment.
Title: Re: My 400 first service type adjustmets.
Post by: K2-K6 on June 28, 2024, 02:15:09 PM
Unsure of the adjuster pitch, but likely 1mm from memory.

1/2 turn is only 0.5 mm linear for wheel spindle, and so about 1/4 mm from the top and bottom chain run each. Doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

A new chain will "spread" its bushes etc under first period of loading, dependent on it's manufacturing tolerances, also just how much lubricant was in each pin site.

Reality check, put a ratchet strap over frame from each side of swing arm, pull it up so that wheel spindle is in line with front sprocket and swing arm pivot, then check how much slack is there in the chain run.

Too tight like that (the longest it can get to from geometry) and you'll get more variation than common. It needs about 10 mm in that situation as it'll be looser everywhere else.
Title: Re: My 400 first service type adjustmets.
Post by: taysidedragon on June 28, 2024, 06:27:13 PM
Or get your fat mate to sit on the bike while measuring!  🤣