Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ted_paper on July 03, 2024, 12:02:24 PM

Title: 3D Model
Post by: ted_paper on July 03, 2024, 12:02:24 PM
I'm doing a refit of my garage and trying to work out the best layout. Bit of a long shot, but does any one have a 3D CAD (pref Revit) model of a 400/4 or similar sized bike?

Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: Alexrayz on July 03, 2024, 04:46:40 PM
Hey there! Nice project ;)
Why not make a parallelepiped with the outer dimensions of the bike?
Not fancy but it does the trick easily


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: taysidedragon on July 03, 2024, 04:53:31 PM
Maybe this diagram will help.

Length is 2040mm
Width is 780mm depending on what bars and mirrors are fitted.

Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: TrickyMicky on July 04, 2024, 08:33:59 AM
I'm doing a refit of my garage and trying to work out the best layout. Bit of a long shot, but does any one have a 3D CAD (pref Revit) model of a 400/4 or similar sized bike?
   Just a small point, but if you are using a conventional single garage as I do, be careful as to the size of any cupboards and benches you fix to the side walls.  I got very enthusiastic and fitted floor level cabinets to one side, and workbenches opposite.  After I purchased a second bike I bought a pair of Seeley dollies to make life easier when it came to moving the bikes about.  I then realised that if I had left a big enough gap along one wall then I could have spun the bike round if I needed it facing the opposite direction, whereas now I have to wheel it off the dolly, take it outside and perform a three point turn, then wheel it back in and replace it on the dolly. If you are going to mount hand tools on the wall over your bench, forget what looks pretty, and place the most commonly used tools directly in front of your workplace.  Have fun, and don't forget the 1st aid kit and fire extinguisher, and enough spave for a case of beer under the bench.  Regards, Mike.
Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: andy120t on July 04, 2024, 05:56:08 PM
If you make a 1/12 scale architects model of the planned garage then you could just buy an 'airfix' kit and see if it fits.... Far easier than all that digital malarkey...
Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: ted_paper on July 05, 2024, 05:19:41 PM
Thanks for all the advice.
Unfortunately, my fingers are too fat to make models!
I do have space for beer!
I think I will do as suggested and simplify a shape - it just doesn't look as nice when I present to the client ie Mrs ted_paper...
Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: Laverdaroo on July 05, 2024, 06:52:03 PM
Measure your garage and scale it down and just draw a copy onto graph paper, say 4 squares to a metre, foot, whatever your preference.

Measure a 400, scale that the same and cut it out.
Any cupboards, ramps, shelf units etc, scale them the same and cut them out.
Now lay all the cut outs onto your sheet of graph paper that is your garage space on the graph paper and that way you can move things around and get the lay out spot on at the kitchen table over a brew without lifting a finger except chucking a tape at the garage.

If the garage is empty, draw on the floor in chalk or tape and you can still change things if you need to but it also means you can walk round it physically making sure it ACTUALLY works for you

My father in law years ago used to do this when he was planning on jigging round his production business machines about if he moved units etc. works a treat and is not computer based so I even can do it too


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 3D Model
Post by: ted_paper on July 06, 2024, 01:07:50 PM
The scale layout would be an option, but producing a 3d virtual model enable me to easily move, adjust heights and check critical dimensions.
Plus it gives me something to do when not riding  :)