Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Murf on July 09, 2024, 01:25:50 AM
-
Hi
I wanted something a bit smaller for general pottering about, bike nights etc and have recently bought 1975 550 four K1, it looks ok but does need work and I currently have the top end of the engine in bits. There are a few worn bits inc cam shaft and unfortunately some bodges so a fair bit of work to do. Should be good when done and back on the road.
-
I have a couple of 550 engines that can come to bits, pm me with your needs and we will try and sort something out
-
Welcome to here Murth! You'll find bags of knowledge to draw on here. ;D
-
Welcome Murf.
-
Welcome to the sohc community Murf.
-
Welcome to the forum Murf.
-
Welcome to the forum Murf. Lots of advice on here and have fun.
-
Hi Murf, welcome to this forum. Most definately the right place to be with that machine.
-
Hi Murf,
I also found some shoddy work on my 550 k1bike same colour .Wonder if we both got them from that serial hobbyist restorer on eBay. I do have a spare updated replacement valve cover with the pinned rocker shafts if you are interested.( pm me)
Good luck and enjoy
David
-
Thanks for the welcome everyone and for the offers of parts, I really appreciate that. I have had the bike for about 2 months now so I have collected some of the parts I need, I have sent the cam to Newman cams to have repaired and reprofiled, I will post some photos when I get it back. The cam cover did have the worn rocker shaft problem which I got to know about from this site. There were 3 bad shafts in my cover which had no doubt added to the cam wear. I have been lucky enough to get a later one with the pinned shafts. I think I just need cam tensioner and cam guide and new cam chain now. But of course I am sure there will be more. The bike did come form flee bay, I went against my own rule never to buy a bike unseen. I am pretty certain that the guy I got the bike from did not do any work on the bike but was himself seen off. He bought the bike towards the end of Covid as something to get him out a bit for quite a lot of money. He used it a little but I can’t imagine he enjoyed it much because everything mechanical was poor. It did look ok though! From what he told me the bike came from a dealer somewhere around Southampton way.