Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: Honda enthusiast on July 20, 2024, 11:06:11 AM

Title: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Honda enthusiast on July 20, 2024, 11:06:11 AM
I'm in the Kettle Club and this J came up with 1972 miles on the clock....the guy had done a full engine rebuild with new crank seals and it runs spot on. It's ready to ride, the 4LS drum works well and I'll restore it in winter 2025....[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: taysidedragon on July 20, 2024, 11:47:12 AM
That looks great! 👌
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 20, 2024, 11:47:50 AM
My next door neighbour had one back in 1979 he said aside from it handling like a Camel he loved it.
As I've never been one for pushing a bike anywhere like close to the limit I just loved the look, the sound - whats not to like?
I never imagined they would end up being so sought after as there are today - every bike show seems to have  a trio of minters - no pun intended.
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: taysidedragon on July 20, 2024, 11:52:25 AM
Back in the Seventies I remember riding my Bonneville on the M4 when a GT750 went flying past me.

Couple of miles up the road he was on the hard shoulder, exhaust on fire!
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Bryanj on July 20, 2024, 12:38:25 PM
I remember the vivid purple ones, we altered a later one for club racing, was doing about 6 mpg
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on July 20, 2024, 01:00:21 PM
My neighbour has just finished a resto on a purple one. Allspeed spannies too - glorious sound.
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 20, 2024, 01:57:38 PM
I had one in my barn. This was 2006.
The bike was Eamon’s and shown with Jim Shea (late of this manor)

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240720/a9140e744aa8af8fe6f99dd98e59f92f.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: K2-K6 on July 20, 2024, 03:07:31 PM
A very good example Honda enthusiast, the Japanese paint colours of that era are particularly good to.

Looks really good with its original 4LS brake as well, also surprisingly torquey engines (in comparison to general perception of two stroke) a lovely bike.
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Honda enthusiast on July 20, 2024, 03:31:31 PM
The handling is similar to the Honda fours, a bit bouncy due to soft American suspension but I'll try a sort that, maybe with a smaller air gap in the forks....reliable wise I think it will need care, much less fuss free than a sohc 4 but like what was said before the looks and sound make it for me....there's a choice of staying with Candy Jackal blue or doing it pink ie Candy Lavender....the plastic Speedo tacho shells have split but I can get them through the Kettle cub....
I clocked the looks of amusement when I started it up in town, loud two stroke not harsh though and loads of smoke... certainly got some disapproving looks.....not strictly pc in modern 2024 😯👍
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: K2-K6 on July 20, 2024, 04:08:51 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the smoke as they're doing quite a job down here when they set those there "electrical" buses on fire, 3 at least in public, more apparently in storage  :o

They make a heluva smoke screen, much worse than a herd of two strokes  ;D
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Bryanj on July 20, 2024, 04:14:51 PM
Big thing with all the Suzuki tripples is use them often or the crank seals give up
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: mick on July 20, 2024, 05:47:42 PM
This is my 1974 L model  ;)
Title: Re: Suzuki GT750J
Post by: Honda enthusiast on July 22, 2024, 03:28:01 PM
Very nice Mick, they are quite unique the L model, many one year parts on them...Like the spannies 😎👍