Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Matt_Harrington on July 24, 2024, 12:37:52 PM
-
I know the word 'waterproof' is a misnomer but I want a pair of waterproof trousers that I can put on when out and about and then suddenly caught in the rain. Thus, I do not want to remove my boots and I do not want to have a lining that catches on the tread of my boots making the whole process something like a farce.
Any suggestions?
I like the Oxford rain & storm seal range (I have the rainseal jacket) but they have mesh linings....
-
If found that GPO issue waterproof trousers, in bright yellow, are best, c. 1971 😂😂😂😂
My dad gave me a pair in 1978 from the back of his GPO van and they lasted me a good 30 years before they 'shrunk', well that was what I told myself 😳😳😳.
-
Mmm, GPO ones - now there is a thought! PS - I'm sure they have shrunk!
-
Strange that, my clothes shrink in the wardrobe as well.
Dennis
-
There are three things that shrink with age
1 your belt
2 your bladder
3 your tolerance for numpties
-
When you are a male over 70 years old everything gets harder except for one thing.
Blokes over 70 know what that one thing is.😁😁😁
-
I usually wear a pair of RST trousers which are waterproof but if i'm just out for a short ride and it might rain (this is Orkney!) I wear a pair of lined trousers and put a pair of Berghaus pac-lite over-trousers in the top box just in case. These are waterproof and have zips right up to the hip, so very easy to put on over boots and they roll up to a tiny package. The zips can be tricky if you are not careful as the flap seal can become trapped but if you guide the zip toggle with a finger, this doesn't happen. I'm sure there are other makes with the same 'zip to hip' facility.
Ian
-
Thanks Ian, I was pondering about walking gear etc - will see what I can find in my local Outdoor clothing centre.....
BTW, it's p***ing down here!!
-
Back in my youth (1967) when I used to commute at weekends from Derby to Chester on my 250 Dream I had a pair of black Bib & Brace over trousers.
I suspect they were Army surplus - I looked like a Fisherman on a Trawler.
-
Ted, I bet they were better looking than my rubberised trousers I bought from Pride & Clark. They looked absolutely awful and were quite heavy (Dispatch rider issue maybe!) BUT they were 100% waterproof - which was what I was after as I did a lot or riding throughout the winter months. Oh, those were the days....
-
In the olden days I used to "borrow" chemical proof PVC full suits from work, they were very popular with all my friends and were 100% water proof, known as green suits.
Here's my old mate Tony modelling one on the Dragon Rally many years ago.
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/3209/xWg0bm.jpg)
Cheers
Dennis
-
Dennis, those were the days - no fancy luggage either!
-
I did have a photo my Dad took of me all togged up one Sunday afternoon in November/December 1967 as I was leaving for Chester - Mum was in the background quietly telling me to be careful as she held back her tears.
The photo of Tony reminded me that I also wore a pair of huge brown Gauntlets that almost reached my elbows for winter riding - pulling the clutch in & braking were extra heavy to overcome the leather reistance. I'm pretty sure they were ex-AA Patrolmans.
Sadly no photo as it was amongst those we lost in our house fire in Nov 2017.https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/police-involved-case-littleover-home-783750
. The Chihuahua I am holding in the photo in the link was Percy RIP, the one Wendy is holding is Mitzie who was pregnant at the time - she is still going strong at 10 yrs of age - we kept two of her Pups.
-
Ted, I remember you mentioning the fire a while back but never saw the photo - It must have been awful.
-
It was very stressful at the time within 5-10 minutes of the fire starting we were homeless. The flames through the rear of the roof were a good 20 ft high. Three Fire Engines were used to fight the blaze. One Fireman was on a platform directing the water hose onto the roof, a second and third were wearing BA sets putting water inside the loft through a hatch on the landing ceiling whilst a third eventually entered the rear bedroom.
Due to the volume and weight of water all the ceilings in the rear half of the house collapsed. The fire started at about 7.35 pm, they were damping down for a good three hours. Due to the toxic fumes inside the house it was a week before we could have the contents cleared and put into storage. When I entered the house the following day later to retrieve our car keys I was violently sick on exiting the kitchen. Wendy lost all her clothes that she kept in the rear bedroom that was used as a dressing room so the next day we had to shop for undies etc.
We lived in rented accommodation until July 2018. With the fire being in November 2017 the building contractors were not appointed until late January. A temporary Tarpaulin was fitted over the rear half if the roof a few days after the fire. Drying out took the best part of 5-6 weeks with Industrial Dehumidifiers.
-
I bought a £10 pair of over trousers years ago (ie about 1990), the cheapest in the shop. Zips at the bottom and velcro to hold the ankles tight, so really easy to get on and off. No idea what the make was (I'll look when I get home) but just the cheapest thing they had. They still keep me dry today! The morale being....just go cheap and cheerful.
Try these..even cheaper than 30 years ago..
https://motorcyclepartswarehouse.co.uk/rainguard-waterproof-over-trousers-medium.html
-
Mmm mmm not as stylish as Bib& Brace lol🛵🛵🛵
-
Good grief, they are cheap!!
-
Half lined as well! 🏍ï¸🏍ï¸🏍ï¸
-
The problem, Ted, with lined or half lined over trousers is that the lining catches on my boots and thus in an frantic bid to put them on, I end up in a pile on the ground!! I really like the Oxford ones but their lining is like the net material you get in swimming trunks.....
-
The problem I have found with waterproof over trousers is the way they make your legs sweat. Being waterproof means they are obviously made of a material that doesn't let the water in but also doesn't let condensation (and body heat) out!
I use lined trousers that are not 100% waterproof but are more than good enough to keep water out and I have never got wet wearing them. The beauty of the detachable lining is it keeps you warm on cold days and dry from both rainwater and sweat caused by body heat. I did have a pair of cheap waterproof over trousers but they were a pain to put on for the reasons stated earlier in this thread but the real problem I had was the velco flap would catch on the footrest as I put my foot down and sometimes it would stop me putting my foot on the ground, not what you want when its raining and the roads are slippery!
I've gone soft in my old age anyway and if I know its going to rain I'll either get home before it does or I don't go out! But of course that depends on how good the met office forecast is!
-
The problem I have found with waterproof over trousers is the way they make your legs sweat. Being waterproof means they are obviously made of a material that doesn't let the water in but also doesn't let condensation (and body heat) out!
Out of experience I was up suggesting something GoreTex or equivalent... otherwise you'll end up soaked in them, and not from the rain...
-
I've had the odd 'velcro strap catching on the footpeg' moment too. It's certainly something to be aware of....
-
I have a one piece over suit that is Oxford I think, quite like it but as said here it needs to be cool weather ad well. But be aware when it is put on you conceal all your pockets!😳