Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Recommended Sources for Parts and Services => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on July 29, 2024, 07:15:28 AM

Title: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 29, 2024, 07:15:28 AM
I noticed that Paints4U now list quite a few of our bike colours. Some of the descriptions are way  off ...e.g Burnish Blue for 400/4 and not Varnish.  Listed as 1970 !

I have only had 1K base-coat paint, that has been matched to a car code, from them before but their aerosols have really good paint delivery (better than RS Bikepaint) and much, much cheaper. The paint quality is good too. Plus, over a certain spend delivery is free.

They also do some Honda colours as 2k in a can that I have not tried. It looks like it's a ProXl make of aerosol which is a really good product. Personally I use Spraxmax 2K (German company)  for 2K in-a-can clear-coat but friends have use ProXl 2K clear and reported it as being really good

https://www.paints4u.com/Customer/ProductsByCat/Index/5

https://www.paints4u.com/Customer/ProductDetails/Index/12003
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: Laverda Dave on July 29, 2024, 09:16:07 AM
Having just checked the website Ash it appears they have a lot of Honda colours available although not Parakeet Yellow😕! They do however have the VFR red. The painter I use told me the Honda red used on the VFR is a very difficult colour to match so hopefully thru have nailed it. Good to know it is available.
Thanks for the heads up👍.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 29, 2024, 10:30:13 AM
Having just checked the website Ash it appears they have a lot of Honda colours available although not Parakeet Yellow😕! They do however have the VFR red. The painter I use told me the Honda red used on the VFR is a very difficult colour to match so hopefully thru have nailed it. Good to know it is available.
Thanks for the heads up👍.

I am actually going to go in there this week for them to scan the blue on the 250RS tank centre section Dave. So I will ask them. When I spoke to the owner a few years back he seemed very knowledgeable and helpful too. Then we will go to Cleethorpes for an ice cream !
I normally go to APS for paint in Hull but he's away for a fortnight.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 30, 2024, 06:49:29 AM
Don’t suppose they would have that Freedom Green Metallic Ash?
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 30, 2024, 07:18:23 AM
Don’t suppose they would have that Freedom Green Metallic Ash?

I could take my NOS panel today and see what they make of it. APS said it was too curved to get a scan that was over 90% match
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 30, 2024, 05:03:56 PM
Don’t suppose they would have that Freedom Green Metallic Ash?

I could take my NOS panel today and see what they make of it. APS said it was too curved to get a scan that was over 90% match

I went in there and got you 0.5l of paint Johnny. ...this thins to 1 litre .

He scanned my NOS panel and he did a few passes and showed me the paint chip it came out as and pretty close so I bit the bullet and bought the paint. I will do a spray out card with it and clear coat it to see how it comes out. Then I can arrange shipping unless Ian has anyone from Hull visiting.

Dave ..on the Parakeet yellow he would need a NOS part to scan. To be honest I could get the guy in Hull to do that. (the guy in Hull is little bit more approachable  ;))

The aerosol I bought was the dark blue for the centre section of my CB250RS tank.

The paint they sell is Lechler ... same make as RS Bikepaint

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 30, 2024, 10:51:43 PM
Thanks very much for that Ash! Just send a PM with cost and payment details and I will settle up.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 31, 2024, 07:50:10 AM
Thanks very much for that Ash! Just send a PM with cost and payment details and I will settle up.

Hi Johnny .. I will do a spray out card today..then work out the best way to get it to you. Bit dodgy to post but could do it container within another container I guess.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 31, 2024, 09:06:42 PM
I did a 'spray-out' card today and 2K cleared coated it and it looks pretty good.... I would definitely go with it Johnny.  I don't think you could paint an individual part and expect to get an exact match with a NOS one but most pro painters insist on doing the full paint set and not individual parts anyway. Honda parts varied enormously anyway on some paint colours.. I had a few NOS black metallic CD175A sloper parts and every one was a different shade and very noticable.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: Johnny4428 on August 02, 2024, 06:22:01 PM
Thanks very much Ash for going to the bother with that. I know what you mean regarding colour shade, I have seen various shades or versions of this colour on the web, but I am more than happy to go along with your recommendations in the hope of achieving something like the original Honda colour. I will be seeing Ian over the weekend as it’s our local big weekend for all things vintage vehicle wise. And I will get back to you regarding collection or whatever alternative. Thanks again!
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 02, 2024, 07:05:14 PM
Staying the obvious colour matching made difficult as Yellows & Reds fade quite badly.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 02, 2024, 07:29:35 PM
I think your bike will look stunning if the spray-out card is anything to go by Johnny. Not so sure about the guy at the paint place though ..got the feeling the guy didn't like me much .. maybe sussed I was from Hull and always been bit of rivalry between us and the 'yellow-bellies' on the South Bank of the Humber stretching back to fishing days. Good products though and spot on that they use Lechler paint, same as RS.
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: Orcade-Ian on August 03, 2024, 08:44:46 AM
Hi Ash and Johnny,
No visitors from 'ull in the foreseeable but Christine and I have a trip to Germany/Austria in the car but won't land in Hull on the return crossing until 8th October.  Not sure if that's too late for all concerned as it's 2 months away.

Ian
Title: Re: Honda Paint 'Paints4U' in Grimsby
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 03, 2024, 09:00:28 AM
Hi Ash and Johnny,
No visitors from 'ull in the foreseeable but Christine and I have a trip to Germany/Austria in the car but won't land in Hull on the return crossing until 8th October.  Not sure if that's too late for all concerned as it's 2 months away.

Ian

It's really up to Johnny Ian and don't want to inconvenience you.

I reckon if I try to sell the can with tape and then house within another sealed container, it should be OK to post. After all, I went into APS in Hull  the other day and he had a mountain of eBay sales tins of paint he was sending out. Did you ever use Humberside Paints in Grimsby? (called Paints4U on eBay).