Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: SteveW on July 29, 2024, 11:00:48 AM
-
My UK 550 bars are pretty corroded so I’m going to replace. Just wondering, are the 400 bars are the same except for the rise?
I fancy something a tiny bit lower.
-
My UK 550 bars are pretty corroded so I’m going to replace. Just wondering, are the 400 bars are the same except for the rise?
I fancy something a tiny bit lower.
DS sell replica bars for the 500 at £42 pair incl VAT the clamp points for the 400 & 500 are the same spacing measured at the centre bolt point - about 4". Diameter of my 400 & 500 bars are the same 7/8".
The DS ones are for the UK style of flater bars 53100-323-620, the 400 part number is different even for replicas at DS. Loads listed on ebay for the 550 with a choice of rise.
-
My UK 550 bars are pretty corroded so I’m going to replace. Just wondering, are the 400 bars are the same except for the rise?
I fancy something a tiny bit lower.
The 400 ones are slightly narrower (end to end)
-
My 400 original bars are 27" wide at their widest point.
My UK style replica 500 bars are about 28.25".
-
I have just fitted a set of DS 400 bars to my US 550. Points to note: the outlet from the brake master cylinder is very close to the clocks, the rubber boot touches the clock, the top brake hose needs careful choice re length. A 400 top brake hose just about fits, the US spec top hose is waaaaay too long. Your existing hose may be a bit too long?
-
Good point Mike about the master cylinder hose clock clearance.
My 500 UK bars start to rise a tad further from the centre clamp than 400 ones to give better clearance at the rev counter. Even so the rubber shroud just touches the clock on mine.
The 500 UK bars also rise a tad more than 400 ones meaning you can rotate them slightly to give better clock clearance as well as improving the hose route/angles. Now I have looked at mine I might rotate the bars to give a gap at the rubber.
-
Thanks for the info guys, didn’t realise 400 bars were narrower as well.
Think I’ll stick to the 550 bars.
-
This post made me realise that the shape of handlebars has quite an effect in several areas.
When I ride a motorcycle I like the clutch & brake lever to point down slightly from the horizontal to reduce the angle on my wrists. This might be old age or because I have longish arms with my height being more in my legs than my torso. Or I'm just too big for my 400? (that's a yes btw)
I did wonder do designers shape bars to provide horizontal clutch & brake levers on bikes that are closer to sit up & beg touriers?
I've never rode a bike with clip ons closest I ever got to sporty was on my Ariel Arrow - I actually preffered my Leader.