Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 30, 2024, 05:19:11 PM

Title: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 30, 2024, 05:19:11 PM
Can someone please advise me as to the distance (measuring at 90 degrees to the forks) between the centre of the fork tube and the hole for the headlamp mounting bolt in cms or mm.

I am not fitting gaiters I'm thinking of changing my existing headlamp bracket arrangement as the clamp brackets I suspect will  be too close to the petrol tank.

I have a feeling someone makes an aftermarket version that clamps to the forks with solid sides. Links welcome.
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: SteveW on July 30, 2024, 07:41:48 PM
I can measure mine in the morning if that’s any good?
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 30, 2024, 08:35:00 PM
Thanks no rush as I'm currently sorting out a couple of striped carb bowl threads.

I should have measured my old ones before I gave them away.
They were rotted out internally as well as rusty.
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: SteveW on July 30, 2024, 09:08:41 PM
This is one of a pair I’ve had for years, not sure what year they are off but was told they are 500/550.
Centre of fork tube to centre of headlight fixing hole is 115mm.

My 550 K0 ones look different to the one in the picture, they are aware being chromed at the moment.
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: mickwinf on July 30, 2024, 09:17:43 PM
steve they look like f2 or k3 550 items.
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: Murf on July 30, 2024, 09:59:05 PM
They look like the ones on my 550 K1 only better  and without the dents 😂,  If you ever want to sell I would be interested. 
Title: Re: Fork Ear/Headlamp bracket dimensions on a 500?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 30, 2024, 11:41:32 PM
Thanks Steve that figure gives me a basepoint as a minimum.
My existing brackets give me 125 mm - my issue is likely to be tank clearance due to the thickness of the existing clamps. Last thing I want to do is mess up the new tank paint job.


Update

To my surprise plenty of clearance between the headlamp fork clamps & the petrol tank.