Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 10:38:22 AM

Title: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 10:38:22 AM
Hi All

I am new to the SOHC scene having just bought a 1977 CB550 project to get my teeth into. the bike unfortunately didn't come with the right carbs, they appear to be from a CB400. from doing some research on the forum it would appear my frame is a CB550F2 from the vin on the headstock but the engine number (CB550E-2028203) is from a K3 I believe.

So I am after some help/advice as to which carbs I need to track down.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 10:46:31 AM
If you look at the carbs you will see the type number on the top outer flange by the mounting bracket on number four carb. They will all be stamped there they should be 637B on a 500. The 550 Carbs are marked 069A

You can fit 550 carbs if you swap the jets onto a 500 - I doubt the 400 ones would fit easily they are type 054A.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Bryanj on August 06, 2024, 10:59:11 AM
Engine makes no difference but inlet manifolds do, are there screws on the inlet manifolds for vac balancing
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 12:04:30 PM
The carbs I have are stamped with 054A, i have offered them up to the inlet manifolds on the engine and they fit/marry up to the inlet openings at all.

there aren't any screws on the inlet manifolds for balancing.

thank you for your responses.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 12:05:58 PM
They are the same carb body number as my 400 carbs.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Bryanj on August 06, 2024, 12:36:11 PM
If no screws on manifolds they are 550 K3 manifolds which use PD(devil) carbs with a different plenum and rubbers to carbs.
If you have to replace i personally would go for a complete 500 stup from filter box to head
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 12:54:16 PM
Thanks for help.

I am right in thinking the PD (devil) carbs are so called devils because they are a nightmare??

as I need the air box too I will have a look for a 500 setup, is there a specific carb number to look for.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Bryanj on August 06, 2024, 12:58:10 PM
Correct, PD carbs are a total nightmare, especially if not cared for, you need any 500, except K3 which is rare in uk or a US 550 K0,1 or 2
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 01:03:28 PM
Correct, PD carbs are a total nightmare, especially if not cared for, you need any 500, except K3 which is rare in uk or a US 550 K0,1 or 2

I am confused as my 400 carbs are definitely 054A  I have ckecked them - did they use that number on the PD type or is it the manifolds that are for the PD type carbs here?

Might be worth checking the parts numbers for K1 & K2 that should be in the site downloads section.
My 500 has a K1 engine fitted with 550 type 069A carbs.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 06, 2024, 01:24:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a photo of your bike and is it a UK model or a USA import?
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 01:30:40 PM
Looks like the part numbers for K1 & K2 are the same so you will be looking for a set of  069A carbs with the correct manifold.

I consider myself a novice so you need to get confirmation from Bryan or others - I guess you should be able to tap holes in your existing manifold for the Vac points.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 01:43:17 PM
Hi Nurse Julie

the bike came in bits so I haven't taken any photos yet, but if you let know which parts would help I will happy up load some.

As far as I am aware its a UK bike, but I am basing that of the HPI report which has it down as first being registered in the UK on the 4th August 1977, still waiting for the V5 to come. 
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: mickwinf on August 06, 2024, 06:17:14 PM
Ted its not as simple as tapping a thread as the k3 manifolds are a different length.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 06:26:49 PM
Ted its not as simple as tapping a thread as the k3 manifolds are a different length.

Ah so it needs a mainifold plus a set of carbs on the correct bracket - then the air box as well presumably.
Is a K3 the same frame dimensions for fitting it all?

These look like the manifolds as they have vacuum screws or is the 550 different spacing to the 550?
.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355880080705?fits=UKM_Make%3AHonda&itmmeta=01J4MC7DQ8PQ5B4APFDWJ0DW1Q&hash=item52dc1b1541:g:mhsAAOSw9UdmmNT~
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Seabeowner on August 06, 2024, 07:13:18 PM
That's not a bad price for the 500/550 manifolds with the balancing ports.
Get 069A carbs if you can. Or if not 627b or 022A (but these may need jet changes)
As said F2 engine is the same as a K3.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 06, 2024, 07:16:31 PM
Just checked the manifolds now I have got home and they the vacuum screws on them

Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 06, 2024, 08:12:05 PM
That's good news you just need to find a set of 550 carbs.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Bryanj on August 06, 2024, 08:15:56 PM
In that case it is an F engine and you may just need the correct carbs, all the ones i said before will work but may have jet differences which can be changed, obviously a correct set for the model would be best.
I would recommend new rubber inlet manifolds and carb to air box rubbers, the latter are ok pattern as they only come with plenum from honda.
When collecting bits try to get mounting brackets as well if you havent got them.
I have a spare 550 filter box and may have a plenum without rubbers to spare.
Post pictures of what you have and we can help as much as possible.
Sounds like somebody just picked up a set of carbs for a honda 4 not realising they were 400, i am sure you will be able to sell them to recoup some cash
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 07, 2024, 06:16:57 AM
Hi Bryan

thank you for the very helpful information. I will defiantly be replacing the rubbers as they are past it so I will add them to the list. I am going to have sort out of all the parts I have at the weekend, so I will be in touch regarding the air box and plenum once I know what is missing.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 08, 2024, 06:06:14 AM
Hi Bryan

might be a daft question, I Have found a set of carbs on eBay from a 500 the seller tells me they are 0649A will they fit. they look the same as the 069A carbs to my novice eye.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 08, 2024, 09:50:50 AM
069A are 550 carbs I have them on my 500 so had to change the brassware for it to run right.

My 500 should have 637B fitted - they are essentially the same carb body with different emulsion tubes , needles, jets & air screws.

Pretty sure Bryan will confirm what I have said, I can't help with the ones you have found.

Searching old posts here reveals that 0649A were 500 carbs for European models so probably different air box arrangement.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: SteveW on August 08, 2024, 10:51:41 AM
022A carbs will fit as well, have a set on my 74 550. Fitted as standard.
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Bryanj on August 08, 2024, 02:14:30 PM
As Ted said will fit but may need to swap jets
Title: Re: Which Carbs do I need?
Post by: Acro1985 on August 08, 2024, 02:47:10 PM
Thanks for the help chaps really appreciated.