Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Mikep328 on August 12, 2024, 01:59:30 PM

Title: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 12, 2024, 01:59:30 PM
Were the ORIGINAL caps on a '76 UK CB400 black or brown? 
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Bryanj on August 12, 2024, 03:12:37 PM
I want to say grey with metal covers
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: TrickyMicky on August 12, 2024, 04:48:29 PM
I want to say grey with metal covers
Ah Yes!! Very illuminating in the rain on a dark unlit road eh?
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 12, 2024, 05:06:42 PM
Interesting - I've only seen brown or black "plastic" on pics of 400s. 
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Bryanj on August 12, 2024, 05:25:36 PM
NGK which were the go to replacement were either maroon or black
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 12, 2024, 05:48:29 PM
When I say "brown," maroon is probably what I'm looking at!  ;)  The reason I asked is that I have both the maroon and black NGKs so was initially wondering which color would have been on the bike at the dealer showroom in 1976.  But it sounds like the answer is, "neither." ;)
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 13, 2024, 06:44:36 AM
FWIW, I (finally) found a period brochure for the initial CB400 model (pegs on swingarm) and a pic of the engine area shows it with the  plain black (plastic/bakelite, whatever) plug caps which look just like the black NGK caps.

Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 07:38:39 AM
They were deffo grey with steel BZP metal covers .. I bought NOS originals for my own '75 CB400F last year as a job lot but sadly all of my spare sets are now sold. Most people on here say they were crap anyway and the metal covers were removed ..often ripped off by the supplying dealers. Two of the caps are the same as the early UK CB750's but the centre pair were -323- UK model CB500 Four parts.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 13, 2024, 12:15:07 PM
Very confusing!  One would think the brochure (UK) would have a correct pic but probably it was a pic taken well before it before the 400 actually hit the market.   The brochure would have been available well before the bike appeared at any dealer.  So maybe they changed the plug caps in production OR, maybe they just decided the black caps looked better for the photo shoot!  ;) Interesting stuff, in any case.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Bryanj on August 13, 2024, 12:20:51 PM
Probably a pic of a press bike that had had them changed to cope with the rain!
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 02:09:53 PM
Very confusing!  One would think the brochure (UK) would have a correct pic but probably it was a pic taken well before it before the 400 actually hit the market.   The brochure would have been available well before the bike appeared at any dealer.  So maybe they changed the plug caps in production OR, maybe they just decided the black caps looked better for the photo shoot!  ;) Interesting stuff, in any case.

The original Honda Press Bike JGC 606N (still around today) was an import  from another market(large indicators etc) and would not have had the metal clad caps when imported.

I think there was a stink when the Kwak H1 500 came out because the triple CDi unit derived HT caused a lot of interference on TV sets.

German models also had the metal clad caps and possibly other Euro countries.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2024, 02:13:28 PM
Opel introduced the Metal clad plug caps in around 1972/3 I can't remeber if they were Bosch or AC Delco on the Rekord models - they seemed to fail regularly back then.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 02:35:58 PM
Here is a pic from the 'push-miles' only F2 and an F1 model  that my friend  had with 2k ish miles and bog standard from the factory.

[attachimg=1]


[attachimg=2]
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Bryanj on August 13, 2024, 03:35:15 PM
Thats the ones i remember, just about every bike i did a pdi on got the tin bits took off!
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 03:55:21 PM
Thats the ones i remember, just about every bike i did a pdi on got the tin bits took off!

Pity you didn't keep the tin bits mate ... worth a few bob now.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 04:23:00 PM
In 1986 when I 1st restored my 400F I bought a new Parts Book from Mocheck when I was down in London. But some b*gger must have borrowed it in the 1990's and not returned it.

The Parts Books in my Dropbox only cover the early bikes and sadly lacking for the F2 but at the weekend I got a 1977 Honda 'Parts Promotion' type Parts book at an autojumble and although tatty,  I really must auto-scan it to a .pdf file  at work. It does include the UK plug caps parts references but not in the diagrams ( well I have done my 'Where's Wally' on the diagrams and I can't see them ...items 87 & 89.
[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Once I have scanned it and put it in my Dropbox links even Deltarider will be happy !  ;D

See parts in green outline for the metal clad caps fitted to UK market bikes (and other listed Euro regions).

Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Deano400 on August 13, 2024, 05:06:21 PM
Hi Ash,

I have this, can't remember where it came from, I guess it's the same parts book but with Honda4Fun logos.

[attach=1]
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 05:36:05 PM
Hi Ash,

I have this, can't remember where it came from, I guess it's the same parts book but with Honda4Fun logos.

(Attachment Link)

Great stuff that's the same ... I think I will do us our own  scan though to avoid other members here accusing me of ripping off data from other sites.  ;D
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Seabeowner on August 13, 2024, 07:06:00 PM
Thats the ones i remember, just about every bike i did a pdi on got the tin bits took off!

Pity you didn't keep the tin bits mate ... worth a few bob now.
I have a set for one of my 500s. Paid silly money for a couple. The set set me back over £70.
DSS has a 500 one for sale.
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500K1-FOUR-1972/part_401712/
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2024, 07:22:11 PM
Blimey almost £30.00 for a cap design that seemed to be prone to cause misfires - unless it's been re-designed inside.

What price originality!
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 13, 2024, 07:36:22 PM
Blimey almost £30.00 for a cap design that seemed to be prone to cause misfires - unless it's been re-designed inside.

What price originality!

I sold 4 sets for £120/set ... went in no time off eBay. Wish I had more .. they were genuine Nippon Denso though. There is an aftermarket version for the 750's
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2024, 07:44:34 PM
I guess that's supply & demand for originality.

My brother sold a pair of boxed 1950's style Dunlop Rubber Bike Pedals a few years ago on ebay to a buyer in the Far East for daft money.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: TrickyMicky on August 13, 2024, 11:22:13 PM
Oh c'mon. Those metal covers were the work of the Devil, any hint of dampness and you had your own personal light show between your legs.. Are people REALLY paying mega-bucks for bits that we could not wait to throw away???  Maybe I should have kept my 1971 sensitol lubricated Yokohama tyres, they loved the wet as much as the plug caps.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 14, 2024, 07:16:11 AM
Oh c'mon. Those metal covers were the work of the Devil, any hint of dampness and you had your own personal light show between your legs.. Are people REALLY paying mega-bucks for bits that we could not wait to throw away???  Maybe I should have kept my 1971 sensitol lubricated Yokohama tyres, they loved the wet as much as the plug caps.

Yes but have you ever considered the technicalities of why they were considered crap? I am going to specially mould something in silicone which can be fitted to the original plugs in place of the effort ND did and I reckon they will be fine.
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Mikep328 on August 14, 2024, 08:33:44 AM
" Are people REALLY paying mega-bucks for bits that we could not wait to throw away??? "

Yeah, it seems strange but it's true of just about everything in the "old vehicle" world - cars or motos.  A friend who bought a '71 CB750 paid 3000 USD for a four into four exhaust system for it so it looked like it originally did.  BUT back in the day we immediately removed those 4/4s and installed a 4 into 1 exhaust!   Same is true of car mods - tossed OEM manifolds/exhauts/cams/air cleaners, etc  in the trash and fitted aftermarket.  Now everyone wants them original!  Go figure... ;)
Title: Re: Spark plug wire caps color?
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 14, 2024, 09:44:17 AM
Oh c'mon. Those metal covers were the work of the Devil, any hint of dampness and you had your own personal light show between your legs.. Are people REALLY paying mega-bucks for bits that we could not wait to throw away???  Maybe I should have kept my 1971 sensitol lubricated Yokohama tyres, they loved the wet as much as the plug caps.

 ;D ;D