Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: ColinHH on August 12, 2024, 05:55:58 PM

Title: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: ColinHH on August 12, 2024, 05:55:58 PM
I am putting new front fork boots on because the original ones had split, so also decided to change the oil seals whilst I had the forks off anyway. However, I am having a big problem in removing the lower allen bolt that holds the damper in. The first one I tried was so tight that I was concerned that I might strip it. Eventually after using a long tube to get some more leverage it finally started to turn. But now that is all it does. So the damper is obviously spinning in the tube. I think there is a special tool that you can buy, but want to avoid that if possible as I want to try and get it back on the road this weekend. So any suggestions or tricks as to how to get the bolt out? I have tried putting the spring back in but that doesn’t put enough pressure on the damper to stop it from turning. I haven’t tried the second one yet, just in case I have done something wrong with the first one.   
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: Bryanj on August 12, 2024, 06:11:50 PM
Its a standard allen bolt, use a drill that just fits in the hexagon and drill the head off then the piece will unscrew from the damper, in future the FIRST thing to do is undo that bolt
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on August 12, 2024, 07:18:54 PM
I had the same problem Colin. 2 things to try: 1) put the spring back in and tighten down the top fork nut to compress it if you have taken it off. The pressure from the spring can stop the turning and allow removal of the bolt or 2) use a broom handle and tap 2 panel pins into it so that you can push this down the fork tube where one panel pin sits either side of the roll pin in the bit that turns round - I did this and it worked.
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: ColinHH on August 12, 2024, 08:02:22 PM
I tried putting the spring back in, but no joy. Will try the broom handle and panel pins tomorrow. If that fail then I will drill them out and replace the bolts.
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: Spitfire on August 13, 2024, 09:52:54 AM
The spring in and the broom handle thing worked for me no problem.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: ColinHH on August 13, 2024, 12:34:28 PM
I can’t work this broom handle thing out. What exactly do you do? I have pushed a broom handle down the fork and I can feel the damper turning when I try to undo the bolt, but can’t get enough friction on the brush handle to stop it from spinning. So tried putting a couple of panel pins in but they don’t grip onto anything to stop it from turning. 
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 13, 2024, 12:50:06 PM
The broom handle trick worked for my 400/4. I put the broom handle in a vice to hold the end of it whilst I pushed against it whilst undoing the bolt, three hands would have been helpful as you do have to put some pressure on it although the spring digging into the wood of the broom handle at least stopped the spring from turning.
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: ColinHH on August 13, 2024, 06:55:10 PM
Finally done it! Once I got the first damper out and could see the small bar going across the middle of the tube it was easy to see what needs to go onto the end of the brush handle. Actually I ended up using an extension on a flat head screwdriver and it came off easily. I must remember to undo that bolt before I do anything else next time.
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2024, 07:24:07 PM
If you have one I found a cordless Impact Driver worked a treat - obviously before dismantling anything else.
Title: Re: Front forks damper bolt
Post by: klj on November 11, 2024, 03:49:41 PM
Hi all.  If they are stubborn here's my method. Fit the stanchions back into the tree ( front wheel off and bike strapped down of course). Then use a ratchet strap to compress the fork - one end around the top of the tree and the other around the bottom lugs but not obscuring the offending bolt. Then compress using the strap. Bolt surrenders every time.