Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: SteveW on August 13, 2024, 01:54:57 PM

Title: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: SteveW on August 13, 2024, 01:54:57 PM
Got my engine cleaned and ready to paint. Just one question, do you paint the bolt heads or mask them up?
Title: Re: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 13, 2024, 02:10:07 PM
I painted mine before assembly - I suspect the manufacturers did not paint them as an assembled unit.

Personally I would not bother about masking up bolts you can't see so that means fewer bolts to mask if you choose that route.
I suspect if you paint the visible ones the paint will start to crack at the bolt heads, if you mask up there will still be a line so the outcome will probably end up the same.

Quicker & easier to just paint as a complete unit.
Title: Re: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on August 13, 2024, 09:08:44 PM
I remember Martin6 posted about masking the bolt heads on the forum several months ago when he painted his engine.
Title: Re: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: SteveW on August 13, 2024, 11:12:38 PM
I had a moment of inspiration and ordered a pack of different size plastic bolt caps from Amazon, save me masking up the heads.
Title: Re: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: neat street on August 17, 2024, 08:05:16 AM
i use blue tac to cover the bolt heads ect, much easier and works, just pick out with a tooth pic after.
Title: Re: Painting an assembled engine.
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on August 17, 2024, 07:46:11 PM
Im going to go for the Blutack approach; thanks for the suggestion!