Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: stuart.2017 on August 15, 2024, 08:24:56 PM

Title: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: stuart.2017 on August 15, 2024, 08:24:56 PM
Hi there, I'm Stuart, just purchased a 1971 Honda CB500Four KO/K1 American Import,
Can anyone help me out with a good fuel tank as mine is rotted out. Bike was manufactured December 71 so think its a K1. Gold and Black.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: Bryanj on August 15, 2024, 08:35:17 PM
For what you want dont be picky with colours, all 500 four plus 550 K0&K1,K2 are the same.
You could try DK  motors for one, whatever you get wont be cheap
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 15, 2024, 08:40:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, I agree with Bryan's comments, DK are pretty good source of used parts plus his descriptions are honest.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: stuart.2017 on August 15, 2024, 08:49:42 PM
I'm not fussed on colour , i was just stating the colour of my bike, the ones DK have don't look too good at present, has anyone had any experience with the ones from India.
I can paint the tank myself, not a problem.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 15, 2024, 09:29:59 PM
Welcome to the forum Stuart.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: Bryanj on August 15, 2024, 10:39:21 PM
Didnt even know the Indians did 500 four tanks but have read not good reviews on tanks made for other old bikes
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: taysidedragon on August 16, 2024, 12:02:22 AM
Classicbikes.co.uk say they have one or two. Probably expensive though.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 16, 2024, 07:32:44 AM
Didnt even know the Indians did 500 four tanks but have read not good reviews on tanks made for other old bikes

Yes they do Bryan ... From what I remember when I saw one advertised, personally,  I wouldn't bother.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 16, 2024, 07:34:13 AM
I'm not fussed on colour , i was just stating the colour of my bike, the ones DK have don't look too good at present, has anyone had any experience with the ones from India.
I can paint the tank myself, not a problem.

There have been mentions about the Indian made tanks, as far as I know a member has not purchased one.

I believe Vietnam make front & rear mudguards that some members may have tried.
Title: Re: CB500 Four Fuel Tank
Post by: Laverda Dave on August 16, 2024, 09:37:27 AM
I bought a seat cowl for the Enfield Interceptor from India. The bike has a chrome tank with a central black and gold stripe, very 60’s looking and I wanted a seat cowl to match. A company in India makes them (logical as that's where the bike is made). I was expecting to receive a plastic cowl because that's what they normally are but with a chrome wrapped finish. What I received was a hand beaten metal cowl with a chrome finish and a painted black central section. The cowl has been made from very thick gauge steel and has been made in three parts welded together to form the shape. The chrome is excellent as is the paint but the quality of the part itself is poor, there has been very little attempt to smooth out the welds prior to chrome plating and it is full of ripples and very uneven, there are also two holes obviously used to dip the part for chrome. It looks alright from a distance but not close up!
The tank itself really is excellent proving you can get quality made Indian parts as these are made for Enfield by another company. I know you can get BSA Gold Star tanks that are Indian made and these are very good quality. I guess it's a bit of pot luck who actually makes the part.