Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Mikep328 on August 19, 2024, 08:00:14 AM
-
I looked through the shop manual and the owners manual trying to find a speed-in-gears or RPM/speed/gears table but with no luck. I'm NOT saying it isn't there somewhere, just that I haven't been able to find it. ;)
Is there such a table somewhere that will show the OEM Honda spec RPM at some speed in (preferably) 6th gear?
-
1975 Motorcycle Mechanics Review
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ko1moqpxglp1828zbdsl8/CB400F-now-and-then-Review.pdf?rlkey=0hf7ee92shztmitjzd7zr8hse&st=bkthvc0g&dl=0
[attachimg=1]
Ha Ha the Parts prices .. all I can say is that I bought new handlebars in 1978 (3 years later) and they were £12 including VAT
Complete review here : https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ko1moqpxglp1828zbdsl8/CB400F-now-and-then-Review.pdf?rlkey=0hf7ee92shztmitjzd7zr8hse&st=bkthvc0g&dl=0
[attachimg=2]
-
I would not worry about looking for accuracy on this point. If you are still using the original instruments there is every chance thatn they may be telling you little porkies!! Do the tyres that you are using have the same rolling radius as the originals, and are you still using the same size sprockets? My dials show between 6,500 and 7,000 for 70MPH, but, when some of the speed indicators in our local villages are in use they often show a speed of 4MPH less than my speedo reading of 30MPH. Have to do this now as manyn of them now have cameras built in!!!
-
Thanks guys, and I really appreciate the road test - with the spec for speed in 6th/RPM. Also the test show the same variation as Tricky's observation on speedo speed vs real speed.
Unrelated, but the road test mentions the excellent brakes. I realize that these are observations of the time and that we expect more out of brakes nowadays but it shows that they were NOT "poor originally from the factory" as seems to be claimed occasionally.
-
When I bought my 400 the PO gave me a copy of Classic Bike dated April 2012 with James May on the cover riding his blue Honda 400 four an early one with rear footrests on the swing arm. It was a DS sourced bike - used values in 2012 were quoted as £2500-3750 for a top minter, tidy runner £1400-2500.
No information on speeds through the gears.
-
Thanks guys, and I really appreciate the road test - with the spec for speed in 6th/RPM. Also the test show the same variation as Tricky's observation on speedo speed vs real speed.
Unrelated, but the road test mentions the excellent brakes. I realize that these are observations of the time and that we expect more out of brakes nowadays but it shows that they were NOT "poor originally from the factory" as seems to be claimed occasionally.
When I got my 1st 400F (1976 model Varnish Blue) the front brake was a revelation .. apart from needing a touch on the brake lever to clear the water in the rain and tendency for the pivot to bind .. but compared with the CB250/350K models it was fantastic. Why the Hell Honda never imported the 350K disc braked model CB350B or G model (NOT G5 completely different) into the UK ... is beyond me. The front end was the same as the CB350F four. It was sold in the rest of Europe/USA and Japan AFAIK.
This is an example the G or B1 model we never got here:-
-
I see that model also has the improved pivoting kick starter. I would like one of those for my 350