Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: ColinHH on August 20, 2024, 03:49:31 PM

Title: Caliper Painting
Post by: ColinHH on August 20, 2024, 03:49:31 PM
Hi, It’s me again! My piston, seal and pads have arrived for me to rebuild my caliper and I thought I might as well paint it whilst it is off. There were quite a few areas where the original paint had worn off. So I have stripped the paint off with paint stripper and have the caliper paint ready, which apparently doesn’t need a primer. My question is, do I need to “roughen up” the surface with wire wool or sand paper to give the paint something to bind to? The original paint came off quite easily with a tooth brush having left it to soak in the paint stripper for a few hours, so the current surface is as it was.
Title: Re: Caliper Painting
Post by: Spitfire on August 20, 2024, 05:19:17 PM
I just sanded smooth the original paint and exposed metal and applied the paint, VHT Brake Caliper Drum and Rotor, still looks good now.
Looking at the photos I now realise that I have a spare master cylinder, I totally forgot that and have not long bought a DSS one.
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/8751/saHNBP.jpg)
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/365/cBAcFy.jpg)
(https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/9096/aKEjvA.jpg)

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: Caliper Painting
Post by: ColinHH on August 22, 2024, 05:12:53 PM
Quite pleased with results.
Title: Re: Caliper Painting
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 22, 2024, 05:26:46 PM
They look spot on - you might need to touch them in once fitted - gawd knows how a slight chip happens. IIRC mine were fine until I dropped a tool on mine.
Title: Re: Caliper Painting
Post by: Spitfire on August 22, 2024, 07:08:23 PM
Nice one.

Cheers

Dennis