Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: florence on August 21, 2024, 03:57:58 PM

Title: Long clutch cable
Post by: florence on August 21, 2024, 03:57:58 PM
Does anyone know if there is a Honda clutch cable which would fit 500/4 but is about 1.3m in length?  The cable on mine has gone a bit sticky and I cannot remember what I used, it was so long ago.  Might have been XL500?

I was hoping not to have to take it off so I can carry on riding until a new cable is ordered.  ;D
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: JamesH on August 21, 2024, 05:03:30 PM
Wemoto sell a universal clutch cable ‘kit’ that you can use to make the exact length you need. I used it on the Cb750 chipper project.
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: mickwinf on August 21, 2024, 05:16:21 PM
I have a new one that was far too long for my standard handlebar 500, I can measure it for length
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: florence on August 21, 2024, 05:18:14 PM
thank you both
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on August 21, 2024, 05:45:17 PM
Looks like you have a solution but something that may be helpful if not is that the US spec CB550 cables and upper brake pipes are longer for the higher US type handlebars. I fitted UK flat bars and without thinking it through ordered an upper brake pipe from DS for my (US import) bike that was way too long.
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: Seabeowner on August 21, 2024, 06:49:18 PM
I have slightly higher bars on a 500. Can't be much help but can tell you that the UK type sold by DSS is 1.04. The one sold by Andy Cepok (bought on ebay) is 1.04. Also have a original Honda p/n 22870-323-020 (which is for the US spec) that I fitted last week is 1.12m.
Measurements are outer (inc fitgs), so nothing comes close to 1.3m. (+11cm if over inner.)
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 21, 2024, 08:25:08 PM
Genuine clutch cable for 500 K1 is 42" ferule to ferule or 107 cms according to an old post by Ken (Oddjob).
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on August 22, 2024, 09:51:27 AM
I just measured the old one from my US import '76 K2 550 and from ferrule to ferrule end it is 120cm
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: florence on August 22, 2024, 10:37:19 AM
I used to frequent a friendly bike shop that let me go round the back and measure cables and find something that would fit.  It was usually something off a motocross bike that would do the job.  Sadly, no longer trading.

Anyway, I think Ted is sending me something so thank you all for your advice.

Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 22, 2024, 10:42:51 AM
The clutch cable I had is now re-homed it's about 121.9 cms long so should be a good fit.

It was too good to bin as it had virtually not been used - it was a good 6"-7" too long on my UK 500.
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: florence on August 22, 2024, 11:54:16 AM
you're a superstar Ted, many thanks  8)
Title: Re: Long clutch cable
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 22, 2024, 03:57:17 PM
If yours has that strange screw thing on the casing for the clutch adjustment definitely worth dismantling, cleaning  and re-greasing all the bits.

IIRC there is a seal that is supposed to keep the water & dirt out - clearly they are not 100% effective if the condition of mine was anything to go by.