Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2024, 09:29:04 PM

Title: Haynes Manual for CB350 & CB 500's
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2024, 09:29:04 PM
As I was leafing through the first couple of pages of my Haynes Honda CB350 & CB500 Fours  owners workshop manual I started to read through the first few items of the Safety First section.

A few lines down the Safety First! page 11 it cautions about removing the filler cap from a hot cooling system cap with care when hot to avoid scolding!

I was quite surprised to read it advises - every month or 500 miles - adjust camshaft drive chain amongst a list of items.

Title: Re: Haynes Manual for CB350 & CB 500's
Post by: Bryanj on August 25, 2024, 09:56:23 PM
Ted you described the problem in the first few words.      Its a Haynes!
Title: Re: Haynes Manual for CB350 & CB 500's
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 25, 2024, 10:11:15 PM
It's a shame they dummed down to the point of being virtually useless. Back in the 1970s and even into the1980s I found their car manuals detailed with great step by step photos.

I've looked in the download section but could not find a service schedule with mileage etc. I believe there were legal reasons why some manufacturers would not let them publish a manual.
Title: Re: Haynes Manual for CB350 & CB 500's
Post by: Bryanj on August 25, 2024, 10:44:59 PM
All the Hondas of that time were service every 1500 miles Ted until the Wings came in.
The service schedule is in the manual in Ash dropbox with every 1500 jobs, then every, 3000, 6000 and 12000.
From memory the 12000 is just about everything has to have oil change, all the filters, carb balance etc, if we had ever done an official 12000 srvice it would have cost an absolute fortune, i think it was quoted at 8 hours work