Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: florence on August 27, 2024, 10:00:03 AM

Title: Sprocket cover
Post by: florence on August 27, 2024, 10:00:03 AM
Changing my clutch cable this weekend, I found the steel guide plate inside the sprocket cover is bent and won't sit in the correct place.  When I got the cover back on the guide catches the drive chain.

My question is, can I just remove the guide and run it without  Has anyone done this and found it is fine?

Thanks,
Steve

Title: Re: Sprocket cover
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2024, 10:21:40 AM
It will be worth taking the guide plate as you call it off and straighten it into the correct shape. IIRC there are two points where it is screwed/bolted to the outer casing.

I believe it is there to keep the strarter cable & wiring safely above the chain run more inportantly it is to protect the crankcase from chain damage if I understand it's purpose correctly. The fact that is was bent shows it has worked in the past.
Title: Re: Sprocket cover
Post by: florence on August 27, 2024, 11:05:12 AM
Thank you, yes, the problem is the second tab where it bolts to the casing is broken which is why it is floating around.  I think I'll put it back together without it in the meantime and try and source another one as soon as I can.  I have seen a replacement cover on ebay for £75 but there is no way I can afford that.  Hopefully someone can supply the bits separately, although, evidently, not DS.
Title: Re: Sprocket cover
Post by: Bryanj on August 27, 2024, 01:02:46 PM
There are a lot running round without that piece, as long as chain is good and not loose it will be fine.
I will look and see if i have a used one, i do have a nos one but thats for mine!
Title: Re: Sprocket cover
Post by: florence on August 27, 2024, 01:26:32 PM
Thank you Bryan,

If it isn't essential, I am happy to run without it, especially as I keep my chain and sprockets in good order.  Thank you for confirming what I thought.

Steve

Title: Re: Sprocket cover
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2024, 02:50:22 PM
Even if the second lug is missing I would have thought it might be possible to make some sort of locator part built up out of epoxy resin. Or even glue a bolt to the casing with enough thread for the chain guard to attach to it via a nut.

If you have the broken off part it might fix to the cover with JB weld if a spare cover can't be found for sensible money.