Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2024, 05:11:18 PM

Title: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2024, 05:11:18 PM
When I pulled my 500 on it's centre stand I found it quite a bit heavier than my 400.

Not sure if it's poor technique or old age! I'm glad I kept the 400 for 'weak days'.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Seabeowner on August 27, 2024, 06:48:14 PM
Apparently there is only 13kg between the two. But the centre stand on the 500 is awful. Badly positioned and the angle of the boot lever is very poor (to avoid the pipes). And there only 9.5 stone and 5'4" and a bit of me. Plus catching up with you on age.
The 550F and the 550K3 are both much easier.
Don't drop it now, it's looking great and ready for a shakedown run.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 27, 2024, 07:02:18 PM
I'll probably use the side stand until I've bulked up with Spinach.

At least I now understand it's not me but the different design - I found the 400 quite easy if you just press down with your foot in the right place with a helping lift on the grab rail.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: SteveW on August 27, 2024, 08:40:10 PM
My 550 K0 came with those lowering links that move the position of the lower rear shock mount backwards.
Makes getting on the centre stand even worse, feels like your spine is going to pop out the top of your head.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Honda enthusiast on August 28, 2024, 07:21:58 AM
Likewise Ted , it's a big heave to get mine on the centre stand and since it's a keeper I'm going to try rolling the back wheel onto a ramped piece of wood...

It's easier getting my Wing on the centre stand 😁
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 28, 2024, 09:17:32 AM
Keep us posted about how the ramp idea pans out.
This 500 is a keeper so a working solution instead of using the side stand sounds interesting.   📐🏍️
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: K2-K6 on August 28, 2024, 09:47:47 AM
Keep us posted about how the ramp idea pans out.
This 500 is a keeper so a working solution instead of using the side stand sounds interesting.   📐🏍️

I've seen the same, similar,  to mitigate this, at home of course rather than when out.

With bike on main stand, whichever wheel is off the floor (usually rear) measure with wood packer or similar underneath that tire to ground clearance. Then add 10mm to that dimension, make a plywood "patch" to roll bike onto, can put a "stop" onto the top surface to run tire up to as you can't see it when riding.

Then the centre stand will only need to lift a very small amount when you need to put it on there. The 10mm extra accounts for suspension sag with no bike weight on it.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: ewanhughes on August 28, 2024, 10:06:38 AM
I had the same problem trying to get my 750 onto the centre stand. I found that if I rolled the rear tyre onto a piece of 1/2" plywood laid flat on the floor it made it so much easier to lift. It didn't even have to be a ramp, just that extra 1/2 inch made it manageable.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 28, 2024, 11:13:29 AM
I'll give that a try sounds easy enough. 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Spitfire on August 28, 2024, 11:32:31 AM
I'll give that a try sounds easy enough. 8) 8) 8)

Sound like a simple idea, I will have to give it a go as well.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Seabeowner on August 28, 2024, 07:35:18 PM
I admit I use a ramp (17mm) for my K0 as it has small low profile tyres.
My usual ride, the K1, I am determined to manage without. Stout shoes with thick sole are a requirement though.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 01, 2024, 05:09:24 PM
TBH it was virtually impossible for me to get the 500 up on the center stand on my own. I managed it only once without my brother's help a few days ago.

A mate gave me a nice sized piece of 1/2" ply so I tried using it under the back wheel today whilst fitting an adjustable stopper for the center stand. It wasn't that easy but I did manage to get it up several times. On my 400 I just press down on the stand arm and a slight lift on the handle and it up.

I suspect I need to work more on my technique as it's too easy for me  to have it leaning to the left ( I put the side stand down as well for safety) so the right side of the stand is off the ground.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2024, 05:36:55 PM
It is techique more than force Ted, one of those things you just do and cant describe how!
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Seabeowner on September 01, 2024, 06:12:35 PM
Apart from the obvious pulling back a bit, it is a matter of pulling the grab rail and the foot lever further apart. This is a matter of pulling up the side grab rail and putting the firm boot (think I use the sole of shoe but it mast be thick) on the stand lever and locking your body. Lead back a little as you do it. But take care not to do yourself a mischief.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 01, 2024, 06:51:49 PM
At the moment it might be lack of practice plus I have lost quite a lot of my leg strength in the last couple of years due to my heart condition. I am going to trying to do some basic exercises to build up my muscles over the winter months.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: K2-K6 on September 02, 2024, 09:20:35 AM
TBH it was virtually impossible for me to get the 500 up on the center stand on my own. I managed it only once without my brother's help a few days ago.

A mate gave me a nice sized piece of 1/2" ply so I tried using it under the back wheel today whilst fitting an adjustable stopper for the center stand. It wasn't that easy but I did manage to get it up several times. On my 400 I just press down on the stand arm and a slight lift on the handle and it up.

I suspect I need to work more on my technique as it's too easy for me  to have it leaning to the left ( I put the side stand down as well for safety) so the right side of the stand is off the ground.

Definitely you've identified something there Ted. It makes a big difference to lifting them if not set onto both feet of the stand equally. You'll end up about 5 foot 4 with spinal compression trying it on just the left side of centre stand  ;D

It feels a little insecure as it starts to lean away from you, naturally you don't want to feel you're going to drop it on the other side too.

But putting the stand down until it touches the ground, then letting it tip over until the other leg touches down before exertion in going to the lifting part will maximise the leverage available to you.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 02, 2024, 11:17:43 AM
You have hit the nail on the head K2-K6 (Nigel?) I have this fear of the bike tipping away from  me as I fall on top in slow motion being branded by two hot exhaust pipes.  :( :( :(

Marginally better than it falling on top of me. ;D ;D ;D

Ive started doing some easy exercises (easy who am I kidding) just bending my knees to lower myself down then back up again without using my hands on my knees to stand back up. I might try some Canadian Air Force Isometrics that I did in my youth.
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: Bryanj on September 02, 2024, 12:17:22 PM
Ted, think yoursen lucky mate, i have just started back gym getting ready for next Februaries bruce test for licence!!!
Title: Re: I need a Charles Atlas set of gym equipment.
Post by: taysidedragon on September 02, 2024, 12:22:43 PM
With your right foot on the stand lug and both of the centrestand feet on the ground, the bike should be quite stable before you start lifting. Only on level ground though!