Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 01, 2024, 02:24:14 PM
-
Saddo that I am I went to sleep pondering how I was going to keep the 500 stand from contacting my new exhaust pipe.
As finding the right extra thickness stand grommet looked impossible I decided it would be easier to make an adjustable stopper using a SS bolt of a suitable length. The images in the photo are distorted due to the angle my phone was at when image taken.
For now I have slipped some vent pipe over the bolt to act as a buffer. When the right buffer comes along I will pull off the tubing & fit a full rubber end. The stand when up now follows the curve of the recess in the silencer beautifully at the moment there is a clearance of close to half an inch. If I want the stand to be a tad closer I can turn the lock nut a turn or two,
.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53963274573_87e2e23aed_w.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2qdxTtK)adjustable stop (https://flic.kr/p/2qdxTtK) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53963480855_cd37588efe_w.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2qdyWNk)adjustable stop with tubing (https://flic.kr/p/2qdyWNk) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
-
Thats interesting Ted, it does irritate me when things dont fit as they should. I have fitted the same system to Lazarus over the weekend and having trouble with the same side, number 2 cyl. It hits the sidestand spring and the side stand itself, also where it comes out of the exhaust port seems slightly wrong. will need tweaking. havent had it off the main stand yet so will see if that is also a problem.
-
I guess particularly with the side stand we can't rule out that a PO in the last 40-50 years has not ridden off with it down causing some damage or misalignment from general wear on the pivot arrangement.
I had issues with a similar thing Mick on my left side - iirc a little elongation on the triangular bracket hole and the silencer fitted perfectly. It just needed an extra mm or so to fit as it should. In my case I think the footrest hanger was slightly out of shape compared with the right one.
I had to glue a small bit of rubber onto the side stand to stop it touching the exhaust when fully up.