Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on September 03, 2024, 05:37:04 PM

Title: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 03, 2024, 05:37:04 PM
Hi folks, I think I am looking for rocking horse poo here but does anyone have or know where I can get a rear hub d ring part No 91261323000. Somebody had ones on here, I didn’t buy one then because I didn’t need one. Think it was Oddjob. I could maybe obtain an o ring 79 x 2.6mm rather than fit nothing.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 03, 2024, 06:05:53 PM
I bought a new one from Ken as mine had a side cut in it, proper D shape.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Bryanj on September 03, 2024, 06:36:46 PM
They have been long obsoleted and the few nos ones i had went years ago, somebody on the forum living in europe had some specially made but there was a minimum number and i think he sold them all
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 03, 2024, 07:30:10 PM
Yes Bryan just looked back and it was Erny that sourced them earlier this year.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 03, 2024, 08:52:06 PM
I used two thin orings next to each other to fill the gap which worked well as a substitute, I'll look up the size I ordered.

*58 ID x 2mm if I'm looking at the correct order in my shockingly long list of bike parts!
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 04, 2024, 08:04:03 AM
Thanks Dom, I’ll probably do something similar because of the limited availability.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 04, 2024, 09:56:57 AM
Cheap as chips too
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 04, 2024, 05:48:55 PM
Hi Johnny,
Might be a bit of a long shot but I had special seals made for my Lake and Elliot trolley jack - different material but you never know.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/other/Trolley%20Jack.htm

They were extremely helpful and many others have used their services using the link on my site.  I only bought 2 of the specials and some other 'off the shelf' seals.

They are Barnwell Services (http://www.barnwell.co.uk/) - might be worth an email or call and I'm sure that if they can help it could be useful to others.

Ian
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 04, 2024, 07:57:17 PM
From what I can work out the D shaped seal is there to keep out water and dirt in the space between the the two hub parts that will move a little as the drive cushion rubbers compress and move back when accelerating & decelerating. Two narrower o rings sounds a good option. When assembling my 500 hub the D ring even though greased took some effort to push the part fully home.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 05, 2024, 08:31:43 AM
Thanks guys, great option Ian, definitely worth a try and quite happy to buy a number of them if available to help others out.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 05, 2024, 06:46:34 PM
I'd be interested too
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 05, 2024, 06:50:33 PM
I used two thin orings next to each other to fill the gap which worked well as a substitute, I'll look up the size I ordered.

*58 ID x 2mm if I'm looking at the correct order in my shockingly long list of bike parts!
Two 2 mm wide O rings - 4 mm in total sounds wide but maybe not.
I've measured my old D ring it  is 2.35 mm thick and 3.97 wide, it had been fitted with the flat section down. Your solution looks pretty close iirc the inner hub section groove is not flat but more rounded.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 05, 2024, 07:11:04 PM
The d ring groove is about 4mm wide Ted.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 05, 2024, 07:17:06 PM
My measurements were taken with calipers so I probably pinched the rubber a tad. I gave up trying to measure the diameter for obvious reasons. I think I've read the 58 size previously.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 07, 2024, 10:16:42 AM
Johnny, I've found a D ring, in a box of big O rings 😁😁😁😁.
PM me if still interested.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Bryanj on September 07, 2024, 08:08:34 PM
That is chromed rocking horse poo Julie, how about asking your O ring supplier if he can do something?
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 07, 2024, 08:25:24 PM
That is chromed rocking horse poo Julie, how about asking your O ring supplier if he can do something?
I've asked both my suppliers Bryan, who are also the manufacturers, and to make it viable price wise, I had to order 1000, which really wasn't doable as I would never sell that many in my lifetime. I've managed to find a few here over the padt years to supply forum members and I was surprised when I found this one as I really did think I'd sold them all.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 07, 2024, 08:31:20 PM
Doubled up 2mm works for me.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2024, 08:35:05 PM
Twice the chance of working.👍👍👍
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 08, 2024, 07:53:53 AM
Twice the chance of working.👍👍👍

And under £2
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: deltarider on September 08, 2024, 09:21:18 AM
Maybe it's my English. Any pics of that 2x solution?
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: DomP on September 08, 2024, 12:27:41 PM
Just use 2x 2mm orings in the 4mm groove rather than the rocking horse poo 'D' profile
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 10, 2024, 08:36:45 AM
Hi Johnny,
Might be a bit of a long shot but I had special seals made for my Lake and Elliot trolley jack - different material but you never know.

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/stories/other/Trolley%20Jack.htm

They were extremely helpful and many others have used their services using the link on my site.  I only bought 2 of the specials and some other 'off the shelf' seals.

They are Barnwell Services (http://www.barnwell.co.uk/) - might be worth an email or call and I'm sure that if they can help it could be useful to others.

Ian

Positive response from initial email to Barnwell Ian, now awaiting further details. I’ll keep the forum posted of outcome.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 13, 2024, 08:07:48 AM
After an initial positive response from this company I’m afraid I have come up against I think a non starter. The following email was the last recieved a couple of days ago. My reply to them was to offer to send them an original to take dimensions from, so far no reply.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 13, 2024, 10:50:49 AM
That's a disappointment - I wasn't aware they had a place in Lanarkshire.  Wonder if my original contact is still there in West Midlands?  Anyway, you tried!

Ian
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 13, 2024, 12:15:47 PM
Yes Ian bit of a disappointment indeed, might hear from them yet but as time goes by looking less likely.
Title: Re: Rear hub d ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 13, 2024, 12:27:57 PM
The twin ring solution sounds good - gives you the protection of a double sealing effect. :-X :-X