Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Mike_Berkshire on September 05, 2024, 08:37:58 AM

Title: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 05, 2024, 08:37:58 AM
I am in the process of removing the paint and grime from my bottom end cases; the bottom end is still intact and Im planning to mask it up as others have done prior to painting. What degreasers are recommended to clean the stripped aluminium before painting? I don't have access to any industrial products so something freely available would be great. Thanks
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 05, 2024, 09:33:04 AM
I used Petrol (no diesel to hand) to get the bulk of the heavy dirt off, I then used a small brass brush (type used on blue suede shoes lol). Then some 400 grit for general cleaning of heavily oxidised alloy.

Before painting I washed the prepared alloy with thinners, I believe brake cleaning fluid would work but stuck with thinners. Purchased 4l of thinners on e bay.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: SteveW on September 05, 2024, 02:58:03 PM
I used brake cleaner from Euro Car Parts, less than 3 quid a 500ml can.

Then various sizes of wire brush in a drill and tiny ones in a Dremel.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: JamesH on September 05, 2024, 03:20:30 PM
This stuff is incredible: https://bilthamber.com/product/surfex-hd/
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 05, 2024, 03:29:39 PM
Definitely with James on this one, I've been using Surfex HD in the parts washer and also in the ultrasonic tank - excellent stuff.  Worth checking out their many other car and bike products but make sure you end up on their site - there are others selling BH products that come up first when googled (cos they're paying!) and are more expensive of course!
I have no connection with the company - other than being very satisfied customer but Pete Hamber and his team are first class.

Ian
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 05, 2024, 03:32:01 PM
Bilt Hambler make some great products as JamesH confirms.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 05, 2024, 09:24:26 PM
Definitely with James on this one, I've been using Surfex HD in the parts washer and also in the ultrasonic tank - excellent stuff.  Worth checking out their many other car and bike products but make sure you end up on their site - there are others selling BH products that come up first when googled (cos they're paying!) and are more expensive of course!
I have no connection with the company - other than being very satisfied customer but Pete Hamber and his team are first class.

Ian

That's a great recommendation for use in the parts washer Ian. I am down to the last refill of safetyclean fluid and I can no longer obtain it since I retired. I tried a water based cleaner and it was 100% useless, it actually turned the parts rusty!
I've used Built Hamber products before (Deox-c being the main one) and they gave always been fantastic and do what they say.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 05, 2024, 10:22:23 PM
Thanks for the great recommendations everyone. That really helps.

From Teds note I assume the pre-paint surface should be prepared with 400 grit to get good paint adhesion (prior to degreasing)?
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 06, 2024, 12:40:21 PM
I have ordered some of the Surfex-HD. For the casings I assume that after stripping/Dremmeling and removing the swarf, filings and general gunk that I use neat on the aluminium and then wash off with water, allow to dry and then paint; is that the right sequence?
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 06, 2024, 12:57:16 PM
Hi Mike,
If you have already got rid of the bad stuff, then you might not need to use it neat.  There are instructions with the product and on-line but you can always call them to discuss - they are very helpful.  I have it about 1:20 in the parts washer - it's even stripped off the insides of the washer tank paint over time.

Ian
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 06, 2024, 01:23:47 PM
I have ordered some of the Surfex-HD. For the casings I assume that after stripping/Dremmeling and removing the swarf, filings and general gunk that I use neat on the aluminium and then wash off with water, allow to dry and then paint; is that the right sequence?

Even if you are not in a hard water area I would not want any residue from when the water dries off. I would always use Thinners or Brake Cleaner for the last rinse.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: JamesH on September 06, 2024, 04:21:34 PM
I'd definitely dilute and then build up the strength of the mix if you feel the need to. It goes a long way. I use at 20:1 initially for general degreasing tasks also.
I have ordered some of the Surfex-HD. For the casings I assume that after stripping/Dremmeling and removing the swarf, filings and general gunk that I use neat on the aluminium and then wash off with water, allow to dry and then paint; is that the right sequence?
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 06, 2024, 08:43:54 PM
Thanks all. I will start @20:1 and just before I start to paint will wipe down with brake cleaner and a new lint-free cloth. I'll probably use a few of the microfibre cloths that come in a multi-pack from Halfords for a couple of quid. Still a lot of Dremelling to go yet.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Murf on September 07, 2024, 10:47:55 AM
Well I was only casually reading this but yet again it turns out to be more really helpful info, thanks.
 I think I am going to give the Surfex-H D a go, I am always looking for something that does actually clean things rather than just say it does. I might order some of the car ally wheel cleaner as well and see if that works.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 07, 2024, 11:46:27 AM
Well I was only casually reading this but yet again it turns out to be more really helpful info, thanks.
 I think I am going to give the Surfex-H D a go, I am always looking for something that does actually clean things rather than just say it does. I might order some of the car ally wheel cleaner as well and see if that works.

If you ever use 'Wonder Wheels' on car alloys it's brilliant - however a word of caution Mercedes will not replace corroded wheels under warrant if you have used such aggresive cleaners. Back in the 1970's MB top of the range alloy wheels were anodised. Theses days they all mostly paint & lacquered with only a few exceptions.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 13, 2024, 06:55:59 PM
I used the Surfex at the recommended dilution in a spray bottle and an old paintbrush to agitate it on the surface. Holy cow this stuff is good! The sump pan came up bright and shiny inside and out with just a couple of mins cleaning. Thanks for the recommendation I can see this is going to get a lot of use.
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 13, 2024, 07:21:02 PM
Glad that you are happy with the result Mike,
I've been using it for a good few years now and would never go back to solvent cleaners.  A farmer friend came round recently for a job on his Manitou which was caked in grease and cow shite.  After we had finished, our hands were filthy - 'Wash em in the parts washer' was my comment.  He thought it was a wind up as the fluid looked filthy but we both ate the sandwiches Christine had made with hands that looked like we had never done a day's work in our lives - he too was suitably impressed.
 I do this regularly and never suffer from splits or cracks like I did with solvent cleaners.  As we've said, B H have some fantastic products - not cheap but excellence never is!

Ian
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 14, 2024, 08:00:07 AM
Don’t suppose there’s any of our local stores stock that stuff Ian? Maybe just available by post?
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 14, 2024, 08:17:34 AM
I don't know of anywhere in Orkney and always go direct and there's always other stuff I need (check out Ferrosol and Deox-C) The postage costs are not bad but if you want stuff from them, give me or Donnie or Erlend H a shout first, we all use their stuff - we might be able to split postage costs.

Ian
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 14, 2024, 08:31:15 AM
I don't know of anywhere in Orkney and always go direct and there's always other stuff I need (check out Ferrosol and Deox-C) The postage costs are not bad but if you want stuff from them, give me or Donnie or Erlend H a shout first, we all use their stuff - we might be able to split postage costs.

Ian
Ta much Ian!👍
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Orcade-Ian on September 14, 2024, 09:16:12 AM
Now there's a thought!
Wonder if Jolly Gordon fancies becoming our local BH stockist? He's always up for a challenge and I'm sure others will see how good their products are.  Will speak when I get back from our adventures,
Ian
Title: Re: Degreaser Recommendations
Post by: Johnny4428 on September 14, 2024, 09:42:43 AM
Good thinking Ian!