Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on September 10, 2024, 10:47:31 AM
-
I am asking again as I am fed up with the squeal from my fron brake
I have changed the hoses, fitted EBC pads (and filed a taper around them) and still it howls.
Could it be an issue with the disc rotor itself?
Anyone ever solved this, I Know there have been a number of threads over the years.
Sorry if this is old ground
-
Do you insert the pads dry?
I put some high melting point grease around the pads,
See what happens
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
-
Do you insert the pads dry?
I put some high melting point grease around the pads,
See what happens
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
Obviously take care to keep away from the pads surface
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
-
Do you insert the pads dry?
I put some high melting point grease around the pads,
See what happens
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
Obviously take care to keep away from the pads surface
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
Cheers will give that a try
-
Oddly enough my 500 front brakes have not started to squeal yet - probably as they are hardly working.
At the moment it's me making the squealing noise " bl**dy....*ell...no..fluffing.... brakes".
-
I am sorry to be repeating myself but when my brakes stop squealing, it tells me they need adjusting. They seem always to squeal and always have for the last 30 years, unless they aren't working properly. I find it reassuring now and am completely used to it. I do not believe there is anything that can be done.
I do accept however that having not heard yours, maybe your bike is an excessive offender, but generally speaking, it is a feature one learns to live with.
-
I am asking again as I am fed up with the squeal from my fron brake
I have changed the hoses, fitted EBC pads (and filed a taper around them) and still it howls.
Could it be an issue with the disc rotor itself?
Anyone ever solved this, I Know there have been a number of threads over the years.
Sorry if this is old ground
I use EBC FA13V semi sintered front pads which are a big improvement on the bog standard FA13 organic ones.
The down side is they are more expensive, but worth it for better and squeal free braking.
I think you're correct about the disc also being a problem, I've replaced mine with an EBC MD1064 and it stops better and properly in the wet now as well.
https://bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/ebc-bike-brakes-honda-cb-750-ff1-19761977-prolite-standard-disc-md1064_p22375961.htm (https://bikes.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/ebc-bike-brakes-honda-cb-750-ff1-19761977-prolite-standard-disc-md1064_p22375961.htm)
Hope this helps
Skoti
-
I am sorry to be repeating myself but when my brakes stop squealing, it tells me they need adjusting. They seem always to squeal and always have for the last 30 years, unless they aren't working properly. I find it reassuring now and am completely used to it. I do not believe there is anything that can be done.
I do accept however that having not heard yours, maybe your bike is an excessive offender, but generally speaking, it is a feature one learns to live with.
I have to agree I don't find the squeal a problem.
It now makes me chuckle when I'm giving it the beans and your ears are filled with that lovely 70's noise you just don't get with a modern bike. Then it's rudely interrupted when you have to slam the brakes on hard before the next bend.
I also find people, dogs and cats etc hear you coming and get out of the way. It's turned out to be the best bike I've had for commuting.
The only time it becomes an issue is when you round a corner and are faced with a horse. Trying to slow down without the front brake while dipping the clutch is an interesting experience
-
Sometimes wiping the rotor with some alcool is all what it takes to calm things down... temporarily ;D .
-
Do 500s have the sprung swinging brake arm that the calliper sits on, like 750s? If so, I cured my squeal by removing, cleaning and regreasing the pivot pin. Replaced the o-rings on the pin too.
-
I get the pads out and file the leading edge to a bit of an angle, and I also use copper grease behind them, works a treat until next time! ;D