Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Mikep328 on September 12, 2024, 01:28:45 PM

Title: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mikep328 on September 12, 2024, 01:28:45 PM
Anybody have a favorite handlebar cell phone holder for the 400?  I have two from other bikes but they don't really mount very well on the 400 with the UK original bars.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: florence on September 12, 2024, 02:06:37 PM
But surely there's too much wind noise to take a call on a bike?
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on September 12, 2024, 03:29:52 PM
Not if you have the requisite Bluetooth fittings in your helmet Steve.

Personally I don’t as I prefer to ride the bike and not make phone calls, but a lot of my mates do.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: paul G on September 12, 2024, 03:39:56 PM
I use it for satnav as well  :D
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mikep328 on September 12, 2024, 07:08:53 PM
Yep, for me Sat Nav is its purpose. The phone is a better nav than a dedicated GPS because it is always current, unlike Garmin, et al.  I have a Sena helmet headset which can link to the phone and take/make calls/listen to music/hear GPS directions.  Though I don't actually use the headset for any of that - it's to communicate with my wife on her bike. 
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mike_Berkshire on September 12, 2024, 09:48:24 PM
I have a quad lock on my bike (Triumph Tiger 850 Sport) and my son has one on his T100. They are great and don’t take up much space. I think you can get various mounting options. I just use for satnav. If there is room on the bars it’s a good option.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Craizeehair on September 12, 2024, 11:27:06 PM
Quad lock with the vibration damper for me.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: TrickyMicky on September 13, 2024, 08:48:19 AM
Call me old fashioned, but, I have never owned a sat-nav, I go out riding to get away from constant phone calls, messages etc. I keep a map inside my jacket, route instructions inside my boot, and enjoy the journey reading road signs. Obviously, yes, I carry a mobile phone, as public call boxes have been done away with, our hand has been forced.  The only gadget I have attached to my bikes is a handlebar clock.  Topic for the weekend debate??  Mike.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 13, 2024, 08:59:45 AM
No SatNav for me either Micky (on my bike) - tbh I don't want any distractions.
Since I retired from my last driving job I don't even use my hands free phone system in my car for the same reason.
I've also pretty much stopped using the cars sound system - too easy to cop a speeding ticket listening to The Killers or Hard-Fi.
My only gadget on the 400 is a small bar mounted Voltmeter.

Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mikep328 on September 13, 2024, 09:12:58 AM
Thanks Mike and Crazee - I looked at videos and that Quadlock looks like a really excellent item, unlike most which are just cheap rubber/plastic.  I've used three different holders and constantly wonder if the next pothole/whatever will jettison my phone!!  The Quadlock appears essentially immune to jolts/vibration/etc.

Tricky - I sort of agree with you and have no interest in making calls/listening to music, etc while out riding.  If my wife is not out riding as well, I don't mount the Sena transceiver on the helmet.  But I do value the sat nav and find it very helpful, especially when heading to somewhere I've never been.  I probably don't use the Nav like most people do.  I enter the location and then just "head in that direction" taking mostly little roads that seem to go that way, not the route shown on the nav. Of course, the nav keeps updating and insisting I follow "the route" but I can't hear it talking and I continue to wander on as I feel like it.  Of course, this often results in being on single track roads, sometimes with complete canopy cover that turns midday into evening!  A couple of days ago a "short ride" to a pub was 20 minutes on an A road per the nav but using my method took over an hour through some really fun/interesting countryside!

Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: florence on September 13, 2024, 01:25:57 PM
I don't use sat nav.  I am old fashioned and prefer to tape a route card to my petrol tank, and see where things take me. 
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mikep328 on September 14, 2024, 09:47:29 AM
That quad lock looks great but it's a bit pricy.  I ended up buying the unit shown below and though I'd prefer the Quadlock, the one below works fine on my 400, holds the phone very securely, and is inexpensive.  The quad lock is much more elegant and less bulky but at £100+ I decided to go with the cheap one!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09MT4N4HW?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Craizeehair on September 14, 2024, 02:57:56 PM
Totally agree about the price of the quad lock but after using a cheaper version and damaging the camera on my iPhone with the vibration and paying for a repair, it was for me, the way to go. Ideally, I would get another for the other bike but I can’t justify the cost, so it gets swapped about if neeed.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Mikep328 on September 14, 2024, 04:32:26 PM
Thanks!  After doing a lot more research, I ordered the QL and vibration damper!  I'll find a different use for the clunky one.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Jan B on September 15, 2024, 10:14:38 AM
I use a "Ram Mount". Fits many phone models. Quick mounting and easy visual inspection on secure installation. No power supply though.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Seabeowner on September 15, 2024, 06:47:36 PM
I use the cheapest holder I could find. Clamps to the bars, £9.99. If the phone drops off (it never has), it's just a worthless cast off that has been handed down and down. Use maps.me or magic earth. Free stored maps, so don't need data, just location on.
Title: Re: Smart Phone holder?
Post by: Athame57 on September 16, 2024, 06:25:35 AM
The only good smartphone is a wrecked smartphone!  ;D