Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: TezzerTel on September 19, 2024, 08:57:03 AM

Title: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: TezzerTel on September 19, 2024, 08:57:03 AM
What should the finish be on my front axle? It's quite rusty atm. What do people do with them to keep them looking good? I'm guessing zinc plate or something?
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 19, 2024, 09:03:22 AM
I just used rust remover then then Blued the ends.(Chemical Bluing)
Since discovering how effective it is I will now use Silver Leaf Rub n Buff.

If I had my own facility I would go for plating.
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: TezzerTel on September 19, 2024, 09:20:55 AM
I've just had a little look at that stuff. Would you apply it to bare metal?
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 19, 2024, 09:54:32 AM
I've just had a little look at that stuff. Would you apply it to bare metal?

If you are refering to Rub n Buff - yes apply it to clean steel or alluminium I used a tooth brush as advised by Ian then let it dry, followed by very light buffing.
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: taysidedragon on September 19, 2024, 12:01:29 PM
Originally it would have been zinc plated. Most wheel spindles rust eventually because water will find a way in and have time to do it's worst before the spindle is next removed. A thin coating of high melting point grease will delay corrosion for a while, but not forever.

The worst wheel spindle I've ever had to deal with was on a friend's Bandit 1200. He'd assembled it dry (no oil or grease!) and then ridden it all through winter (in Scotland) without much washing or cleaning. It was welded solid and wouldn't budge. He'd tried to knock it out and burred over the threaded end before he called for help. No amount of releasing oil, heat or freeze spray would move it. I had to cut it out in the end, carefully so I didn't damage the swingarm. A new spindle and spacers with a good coat of grease sorted it in the end.
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: K2-K6 on September 19, 2024, 01:25:49 PM
I've routinely used "Duckhams Keenol" grease on this type of non movement fixings.

With zinc oxide, I belive, as significant component to act as sacrificial element in "taking" the corrosion and preventing deterioration of primary metals.

Don't think that's any longer available (bought two NOS tubs from an auto jumbler to keep my supply up) but newer products in "boat greases " are aimed at similar protection,  specifically to mitigate electrolitically derived effects with salty solutions etc.

Exposed socket head fixings too, I've routinely "winterised " on vehicles by squiging it into recesses.
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: K2-K6 on September 19, 2024, 01:53:24 PM
Something similar https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/296162093007 from Morris lubricants.

Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 19, 2024, 02:33:51 PM
Is there any danger of front axle rotation if you grease then when fitting as opposed to just greasing the ends afterwards?
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: K2-K6 on September 19, 2024, 02:54:56 PM
Is there any danger of front axle rotation if you grease then when fitting as opposed to just greasing the ends afterwards?

It has no rotational load to give risk in the design of it .... unless a wheel bearing were to seize.

The bearing centre races are clamped with tightening the axle assembly, then the axle is held from rotation by the double bolted clamps at base of fork legs.

It's designed to avoid anything significant in torque being applied to axle. No risk from greasing it in that instance.
Title: Re: Front axle CB550 F1 1976
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 19, 2024, 03:23:02 PM
Thanks for the explaination Nigel the axle design has aways made me scratch my head both at the front & rear tbh.
I've given up trying to understand how it works - just that it does.
I always expect the bearings to stop rotating or bind when tightend up especially at the rear.