Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Madgrandad on September 25, 2024, 06:55:31 PM
-
Hello all, can anybody help me please. I bought a new chrome chain guard which was advertised as "Genuine Honda motorcycle chain guard 40510" on ebay. I checked the number against the part number in my part list manual, and it matched the number as advertised in the listing, so I bought it.
When I tried to fit it it didn't fit, it was too short, as you see in the photo. I contacted the seller and got a reply telling I was stupid to buy it! They don't even now what model it fits. So can anyone on here tell me by looking at picture what model of Honda it fits?
-
XL185 1988
No, I didn't know that off the top of my head 😂😂😂but I found his sold listing on Ebay and he did put the part number. 40510-KC2-890.
You need 40510-377-000. A majority of 400/4 parts are 377 middle part number, so I'm not sure what parts list you are looking at as 40510 has nothing to do with 400's, it just means it's a guard of some description, it could be any guard.
Edit, I've sussed it now, you took 40510 as the correct part number, unfortunately it's not.
-
As Julie said its the wrong one, honda part numbers work loke this
1st number is what is is 40510 is a chainguard
Middle number is the first modle it was fitted to 377 is 400
Last number is for manufacturer and or modifications
So you need the complete number to get the correct part
-
I think it's a poor show the seller won't take it back, it would cost you about £4.00 to return it, so that's your loss but the seller wouldn't loose any money by taking it back into stock and refunding you.
Ok, they are not obliged to refund as it is as described but we all make mistakes.
-
Thanks Julie, I'll have a look at your link now.
-
Thanks clarifying Bryanj 👍
-
Who was the seller?
-
FWIW, an Ebay seller is required to take an item back if it is not as described. Stating "no returns" is meaningless if the part/item is defective, damage, not as advertised, etc. OTOH, if nothing was said about specific fitment, just that it's "genuine Honda" - as seems to be the case here - that's really wouldn't fall under the normal reason for return. However, you could still initiate a return through Ebay and see what happens.
-
Athame57 the seller is mountinindependanttraders on eBay. Thanks Mikep, the seller wasn't interested at all. In my defense, I didn't understand that the first 5 digits are the chain guard and 377 is the model. He wasn't going to give money back, so I asked him if he knew what model it's for so I can sell it on, but he doesn't know.
Anyway, he got a bit abusive, so I got my money back from PayPal.
-
Most traders if their worth their salt would take it back, bloody annoying when they take no interest in the fact that it is no good to you. They are not worried about negative feedback either it woul appear!
-
Pleased you are being refunded via PayPal.
I learnt my lesson a few years ago when I ordered some leather food for a car interior from a seller in Bradford.
When it arrived it was like white water so thin - I messaged the seller who after a lot of messing about sent me a returns label.
Item was returned with proof of postage from the Post Office,
No refund arrived so after more prevarication they said the item had not been received so I should claim from the Post Office.
That route was not an option as they had paid the postage so they make claim.
After a few months of messaging with no refund or crap product I found out that I was too late to claim under the PayPal refund scheme.
Lesson learnt I always lodge a PayPal case for items not received on time or not as described etc.
-
"Anyway, he got a bit abusive, so I got my money back from PayPal."
Great! Between Ebay and PayPal, you can almost always get your money back. They both totally support the buyer nowadays. Years ago it was the opposite - I lost 974 USD on an item that was never even shipped. Tried everything, including calling the police in the town where the seller lived but nothing ever came of my complaint.