Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Johnny4428 on October 01, 2024, 10:53:55 AM

Title: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 01, 2024, 10:53:55 AM
What’s the consensus regarding the bearing retainer ring that screws into rear hub? Couple of drops of loctite maybe? Or just a bit of peening? Can’t remember what I did on the last one.😳
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 01, 2024, 11:19:49 AM
As it's a left hand thread I just tightened mine it up in case I ever needed to take it off again.

That was when I found out that some of the DS replacements were not machined correctly so the special tool they sell does not quite fit.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 01, 2024, 01:18:28 PM
Just tightened mine too Ted but thought I would ask before I fit the sprocket.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 01, 2024, 01:44:07 PM
Bryan may add what was his workshop practice experience - not mentioned in my Haynes Manual - that said there is lots they don't mention.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Bryanj on October 01, 2024, 02:18:48 PM
Never did one in the dealers! On mine just tightened it up
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 01, 2024, 02:38:32 PM
Wasn’t certain it needed anything to lock it but that answers my question, thanks guys. Incidentally when I dismantled my rear hub the seal had been pressed into the lock ring not the sprocket cover!😳 didn’t think that was right. New seal in the correct place now.😜
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 01, 2024, 05:15:31 PM
It's a while ago now but not sure that's correct I'll check my project build?

Update
I checked my build its for the sprocket so you are correct I tried to fit it in the retainer but it would not fit.  I thought it was a duff retainer ring part from DS.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 01, 2024, 10:19:08 PM
I was a bit the same Ted, didnt think there was any way the new seal was going to fit inside the bearing retainer.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Sesman on October 03, 2024, 08:52:33 AM
Punched at four locations. I’d post a photo, but I lose the server when posting!

My file size is too large!
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 03, 2024, 09:36:25 AM
Punched at four locations. I’d post a photo, but I lose the server when posting!

My file size is too large!

Sorry I keep banging on about it but using the BBCode via flickr raises no problems with file size. Only issue is if you delete old photos they are deleted from your post so can be an issue for Steve, to avoid any repeat of Spamgate I don't delete what I've uploaded onto my photostream. Even decent modern digital SLR photos can be used.

If flicker goes kaput then I will have to shrink my files in a boil wash.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Sesman on October 03, 2024, 07:37:41 PM
Hi, Ted.

What is this “flicker”A?
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 03, 2024, 07:50:23 PM
https://www.flickr.com

In tricks & Tips.https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,29228.0.html

It's free if you don't load too many photos. I've not exceeded the limit in the last 8-10 years.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Sesman on October 03, 2024, 10:23:30 PM
👍. Thanks Ted.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 04, 2024, 08:51:59 AM
Hi, Ted.

What is this “flicker”A?

I just get the image on screen and do a screenshot with 'Snipping' tool which creates a decent image with much smaller file size.
On my 500K0 somebody had used some form of thread-lock on it in the past and was an absolute pain to remove. Problem is you can't really use much heat as it will damage the cush rubbers from memory.

Here was my struggle ! One of the worst pain in the ar$e jobs I have ever done on a Honda.

https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,9233.60.html

Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 04, 2024, 09:16:35 AM
Interesting post, I liked the solution to hold the tool into the hub.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 04, 2024, 09:28:12 AM
Yes interesting solution to that lock ring. Mine had been lightly punched through the holes in ring but weren’t really doing very much ad it loosened easily.
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: deltarider on October 04, 2024, 11:12:32 AM
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,20039.msg178069.html#msg178069
Title: Re: Rear hub bearing lock ring.
Post by: Sesman on October 04, 2024, 01:15:40 PM
Yes interesting solution to that lock ring. Mine had been lightly punched through the holes in ring but weren’t really doing very much ad it loosened easily.

Mine was locked solid. I had to drill out the punch marks and make a tool up as per the link.