Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: royhall on October 04, 2024, 03:37:03 PM

Title: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: royhall on October 04, 2024, 03:37:03 PM
Just a word about the replica seats sold by DSS for the CB750K. I bought one of these to use on my restored K5 and have been struggling with it ever since. The problem is they are too high, made from a very slippery vinyl, and are rock hard. This is the seat.

[attachimg=1]

So I bit the bullet and had a new seat custom made by MotoStitch (formerly Nostalgia Seats) at a cost of £220. Just got it fitted today and its about 60mm lower, very soft and comfy, and a good gripping cover. I also think it looks great. What do you think. It makes the bike much safer and easier to ride as I now have both feet firmly on the floor, unlike before. If they are going to make replica's why not make them to the dimensions Honda used. Ridiculous.

[attachimg=2]

[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Martin6 on October 04, 2024, 10:47:45 PM
I put a DSS seat on mine last year. It was the same depth as the original I took off. Maybe your old one had sagged?

It was initially a bit firmer than the old seat. It has settled in quite nicely now, after about 3,000 miles. I find it comfortable on longer rides.

However, it needed a lot of persuasion on the hinges to get anywhere near straight. I made the error of spraying the logo on the back, before fitting, or I would have returned it. It's still not perfect, but near enough to not be noticed, unless pointed out.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 05, 2024, 07:13:20 AM
Quite annoying to get a replacement seat that doesn’t deliver in terms of fit comfort etc. That is a lovely looking seat that you have on the bike now Roy! Personally I wouldn’t want anything other than my original looking seat on mine but spent quite a bit of cash getting mine restored. These bikes are generally high to sit on, I’m 5’ 10” and it’s just high enough for me. Big difference with the height of the 550. Now im not looking for faults here Roy but your kick start lever would need to go back a spline or maybe two to line up with indent on the clutch cover! I think it’s my OCD shouting at me! 😂 Lovely looking bike though and like the colour.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: royhall on October 05, 2024, 07:55:33 AM
Eyes like a hawk Johnny. Never noticed that thanks for pointing it out, will sort it later. As for authentic, when I sell it the other seat can go back on, until then I want it safe, usable, and comfortable.

Maybe my replica seat was from a different batch or sourced elsewhere, but it was higher than other 750's I compared it with. Had a look at Google images and compared those to the height of the tank badges and it's definitely high. I'm 6 foot tall and can barely touch the floor with that seat on, and with such a heavy bike that's dangerous. It's also way higher than my 750F2. The vinyl is so slippy I'm sliding around under acceleration and braking no matter what trousers I wear.

Sorry that replica seat had to go.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 05, 2024, 09:31:22 AM
Wow! I thought a 6 footer would have no problem! The seat does not look that out of place as far as height goes. I take it sitting down on the mountings ok too (seated properly 😁) There must be so little give in the type of foam in the seat, and not very good if you feel your going to slide off it either.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2024, 09:52:45 AM
I'm 6' 0.5" my brother is 6'2" odd thing  his height is in his trunk not his legs, his inside leg measures 2" shorter than me!
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: royhall on October 05, 2024, 12:22:18 PM
I've been called a short arse before, maybe I'm really a long arse. ;D  Anyway, I am happy to be able to use the bike after such a long restoration. The other seat can be someone else's problem when I finally decide to sell it.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: taysidedragon on October 05, 2024, 01:17:36 PM
I'm 6' 0.5" my brother is 6'2" odd thing  his height is in his trunk not his legs, his inside leg measures 2" shorter than me!

Different milkman! 😉
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2024, 02:50:05 PM
I'm 6' 0.5" my brother is 6'2" odd thing  his height is in his trunk not his legs, his inside leg measures 2" shorter than me!

Different milkman! 😉

That happens to be true (I am not in the least bit offended btw) my biolgical father died of TB when I was five months old he was a serving soldier in the British Army on the Rhine billetted in Klagenfurt. My Mum was Austrian she remarried in the UK so my step-father was pretty much the only only one I knew about - he was 6' 3".

PS He was never a milkman though.  ;D ;D ;D ;
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 05, 2024, 02:53:01 PM
Postman??😂
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2024, 03:01:43 PM
Postman??😂

No but as a young lad my step-father had a job as a delivery boy, riding a local butchers bespoke delivery bike with the postmans type front basket with the name of the butchers on a panel under the crossbar. A bit like Granville in Open all hours.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Johnny4428 on October 05, 2024, 03:05:59 PM
Ted I did that for a short period of time too on the old message bike. Used to deliver pre ordered groceries. Remember the one time over loading it, when I jumped off the bike it upended and there was cans of this and that rolling down the street! Think I gave up shortly after that and got a job delivering milk before school.
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2024, 03:08:29 PM
I can just picture you enthusiastically trying to catch the tins as they rolled away. ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 05, 2024, 06:39:34 PM
My father had TB when I was small. I must have been about two years old. He spent months in a sanatorium in Somerset (we lived in Bridgwater) when the only cure for TB was fresh air.

He didn’t die though ( sorry to hear about your father Ted)

Does anyone remember those BCG tests we had at school in the 60s and 70s. Mine always came up red and swollen. All my schoolmates would say “you’ll have to have the jab” but the opposite was true. My father’s illness meant I’d been inoculated when tiny.

They all had the jab. I didn’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 05, 2024, 06:40:24 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack BTW.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: Nurse Julie on October 05, 2024, 07:29:55 PM
Sorry for the thread hijack BTW.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here Steve. My Auntie had TB when I was born, 1961, she then spent 3 years in a Sanitorium. I've had natural immunity since. It used to cause continuous ructions during my Nursing career with the Occupational health departments as I didn't have a scar 🙄🙄🙄🙄. I also used to have chest xrays every 6 months from the age of 5 to 9 years old. My auntie survived and is 89 now and luckily, at my age now, no one is interested if I have a scar or not 😂😂😂
Title: Re: CB750K seat replacement
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 05, 2024, 08:30:13 PM
Ironically my Step-father contracted TB before he married my Mum. There was a lot of social stigma attached to TB as it was a disease that impacted disproportionately on the poor due in no small part to overcrowding in homes.
The standard treatment for TB was to inject air into the affected lung cavity to rest it