Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: TezzerTel on October 10, 2024, 07:55:13 PM

Title: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: TezzerTel on October 10, 2024, 07:55:13 PM
So when I got my engine out if the frame 3 bolts were totally seized and I had to saw them off. Now I'm removing them from the crankcase one of them has expanded with corrosion so much it's cracked the aluminium. I'm thinking I need a talented person with a TIG welder? To be fair when I put a nut in there it has nearly 5/6 contact on the face.

Help, advice and options all welcome!!
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: mickwinf on October 12, 2024, 12:49:08 PM
had the same with Lazarus, i replaced crankcase but probably could be repaired by a skilled welder.
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: Bryanj on October 12, 2024, 04:43:52 PM
What bike is it? I have some 550 bottom halves about
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 12, 2024, 05:19:37 PM
If its a 400 I have a crakcase pair plus the crankshaft.
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: TezzerTel on October 12, 2024, 05:46:28 PM
It's a 550
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: Bryanj on October 12, 2024, 09:11:22 PM
I am a couple of miles from junc 12 of M5 if you want some cases
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: TezzerTel on October 12, 2024, 09:34:13 PM
I'm travelling down there next week what do you want for them?
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: Bryanj on October 12, 2024, 10:53:41 PM
Not a lot mate, do need to know what day though as i do 4 on 4 off nights, my work is even closer to the junction though
Title: Re: Crankcase repair? TIG?
Post by: TezzerTel on October 18, 2024, 07:47:29 PM
Thanks for all the help and replies. On my way home last night I met a really nice guy that goes by the forum name of Bryanj who supplied me with a set of cases. Thank you very much that saves me looking for someone to weld my old cases.