Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ted_paper on October 24, 2024, 03:58:43 PM
-
I've just watched a YouTube video where someone in America "converted" his sealed beam unit by cutting a bigger hole in the shell and then adjusting the wiring connectors to use on what appeared to be a standard car headlight bulb.
Given that my knowledge of electrics and loadings etc is nil, does this seem a practical method of improving the headlight, or I am overlooking something?
-
I've just watched a YouTube video where someone in America "converted" his sealed beam unit by cutting a bigger hole in the shell and then adjusting the wiring connectors to use on what appeared to be a standard car headlight bulb.
Given that my knowledge of electrics and loadings etc is nil, does this seem a practical method of improving the headlight, or I am overlooking something?
I would go the easy route,
Take your reflector out, then visit a local motor electrical store,
You should be able to get a H4 reflector and bulb and socket,
Easy to change, and you still have the original incase you need it
Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk
-
I wasn't going to make the hole larger, it only seemed to be done because it was a sealed unit - I think that a halogen bulb should fit through the original opening.
It was the general principle of the idea that I was wondering if it was sound or not?
-
My original 400/4 was not a sealed beam unit it was a bulb that fitted in the reflector.
Is yours a US model?
-
Mine is a UK, but the video was using the US model which does have the sealed unit.
-
400 has odd size reflector, 500,550 and 750 are standard car size
-
Have attached (hopefully!) pic. of a straightforward swap. This has the same BA20D fitting as the original. Suggest you use the brighter 'white' version. The heat sink is within the bulb, so no worries there, and draws less current than the original so no problems with the miniatue contact points in the switch or the flasher. I found out to my cost many years ago fitting 472 halogen bulbs to my 750 without a relay and burnt out the switches!! Not cheap here, but good quality, or you can chance going down the Fleabay/Chinese route, often having a p*** poor beam pattern. Have fun. Mike.
-
Have attached (hopefully!) pic. of a straightforward swap. This has the same BA20D fitting as the original. Suggest you use the brighter 'white' version. The heat sink is within the bulb, so no worries there, and draws less current than the original so no problems with the miniatue contact points in the switch or the flasher. I found out to my cost many years ago fitting 472 halogen bulbs to my 750 without a relay and burnt out the switches!! Not cheap here, but good quality, or you can chance going down the Fleabay/Chinese route, often having a p*** poor beam pattern. Have fun. Mike.
Yes,
Quite agree with what you say.
I've also used Classic Car Leds and find their stuff pricey but top notch.
-
Thanks for the input guys.
As I said in my first post, I'm not good with electrics so I think I will just replace the bulb with a similar one and stick to not going out after 3pm... 😀
-
"I think I will just replace the bulb with a similar one and stick to not going out after 3pm... "
That is the correct solution. As is well known, "Gentlemen do not motor about after dark!" ;)
-
God I wish these were around back in the seventies and eighties, riding at night has never been my favourite thing but working shifts I had to.
At one point I had two hexagonal car spot lamps on the crash bars on my bike, but despite working great they looked awful and had to go.
Cheers
Dennis