Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 26, 2024, 05:32:50 PM

Title: New bodge / error.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 26, 2024, 05:32:50 PM
Today I removed the chainguard that had what looks like 40 years of grime on the inside, a solid layer of tar type crud was coated where the chain has flung all the muck.

First thing I noticed was a pretty basic mistake on the chain link - pretty sure the closed end of the link should allways follow the direction of chain travel when going forwards.



.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/54095229059_6db4df56dd_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2qqdbX6)Chain link (https://flic.kr/p/2qqdbX6) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: New bodge / error.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 26, 2024, 05:39:23 PM
Yep.

That’s on backwards.

Doesn’t bode well does it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New bodge / error.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 26, 2024, 06:32:23 PM
It's not great that something so basic was fitted wrong.
I'm still doing some digging as to who owned the bike post 2022 when it left Wellingborough - all the substantial itemised invoices end in 2022.
The PO I bought it from acquired the bike on 7/9/24 from  someone in the Leicester area. Thats looking like 2 years of ownership where things were not fixed properly.

Looking at the dirt layers I do not think the engine has been removed since the last major engine work  in late 2015, it had a top end overhual in 2019 when the cam chain was replaced.
 
It had a new chain & sprockets fitted in Sept 2017 by the garage though it could have been removed since then.
Title: Re: New bodge / error.
Post by: Murf on October 26, 2024, 09:49:10 PM
Will keep my fingers crossed for you, just let’s hope the same person didn’t do the cam chain. I guess you will be  checking out the top end during your refurb anyway.


Title: Re: New bodge / error.
Post by: Bryanj on October 27, 2024, 05:21:39 AM
Cam Xhain is Hy-Vo and doesnt have a link
Title: Re: New bodge / error.
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 27, 2024, 08:39:47 AM
Pretty much all of the work was done by RGS of Wellingborough.
The parts were mostly supplied by the bike owner.