Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Project Board => Topic started by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 10:35:08 AM

Title: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 10:35:08 AM
Hi Guys

As promised some pictures of how my project is progressing , I am just looking at rebuilding the wiring loom by adding new tape around the loom and cutting off and fitting new bullet connectors and changing all the break points.

I will send photos of my three exhaust pipes in another post the first is the original which is in quite a state, the second is one a picked up off eBay a few years ago which is in a fair condition and the last is one I bought second had in Japan which is excellent condition which is the one I am obviously going to use the only issue is a scrap where it was grounded on the under side.
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 10:38:17 AM
The photos are a bit blurred due to too much compression let me try again
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 10:39:12 AM
That’s better the first ones didn’t do it justice
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 05, 2024, 10:54:14 AM
Much better photographs, the build looks very good, is the rear fender for a US model?

I only ask as the number plate bracket seems quite a lot shorter than mine.

PS I am not a purist btw as can be seen from my photo below.

.(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53411967203_4c6a41f97e_m.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2pnQi1g)400 lamp change 2 (https://flic.kr/p/2pnQi1g) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 11:09:06 AM
Yes your right I bought the rear guard in Arazona the original was completely shot
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 12:28:15 PM
These are photos of the original exhaust a bit of a mess plus a photo of one I bought on uk eBay a few years ago
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 12:29:36 PM
These are the photos of the exhaust I bought in Japan in my opinion really good condition for an original exhaust
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 12:31:31 PM
Would help if I attached the photos to
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 02:13:16 PM
I Have just noticed something looking at my bike photos which the more eagle eyed should spot the front tyre is around the wrong way better get that sorted
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on November 05, 2024, 02:20:50 PM
So it is.

I’d never have spotted that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: taysidedragon on November 05, 2024, 02:49:02 PM
That exhaust from Japan is really nice. I bet it wasn't cheap!
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 05, 2024, 03:48:13 PM
I Have just noticed something looking at my bike photos which the more eagle eyed should spot the front tyre is around the wrong way better get that sorted

CWC did that on my 400 front wheel !
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 05, 2024, 05:57:46 PM
The Japanese exhaust I bought on Japanese eBay about 10 years ago I think it was £250 quid which I thought was a bargain, I was lucky I was working out there for about 6 weeks and took a spare suitcase with me and used one of our interpreters to translate for me.
Found it on Japanese eBay while I was out there and it was very cloak and dagger meeting in an underground car park, the guy I bought it from spoke as much English as I spoke Japanese but sorted it out with our translator and he also threw in a case of beer into the bargain because he worked for Sapporo ( Japanese beer) .
My work mates thought I was barking mad but it was worth all the effort getting it back to the UK.
Really need another trip out there to stock up on Honda spare parts.
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 06, 2024, 07:12:51 AM
That is shaping up to be a lovely restored bike. You will be pleased I’m sure. Nice find that exhaust too.
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 08, 2024, 09:05:18 AM
Yes very lucky to find the exhaust just a case of right time right place, just need to find a good chain guard now but haven’t really looked recently but it’s on the list.
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Deano400 on November 08, 2024, 04:24:55 PM
How badly do you want a chain guard!!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/156492468172
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 08, 2024, 05:25:39 PM
If they are still listed makes the DS repro look like a fair price.
Title: Re: Ken’s 400 4 rebuild
Post by: Ken4004 on November 09, 2024, 04:46:01 PM
Blimey that’s expensive I didn’t really want a chain guard in solid silver