Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: nairb on November 14, 2024, 09:00:12 AM

Title: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: nairb on November 14, 2024, 09:00:12 AM
Once upon a time, it was easy to tell that popular auction site (beginning with E) when a listing was fraudulent, or appeared so. 
Now it seems more difficult.  Anybody managed to do this??.

Look at the items for sale from :-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/387607962352?itmmeta=01JCMXRB56R1B4X5KTH44033KS&hash=item5a3f3c22f0:g:5SMAAOSwDFtnM9pM

There is no phone number and cpmotors are not at the address given.

Beware - are these motorcycle really that cheap.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 14, 2024, 09:38:52 AM
That bike is advertised on Car and Classic for £30,000
https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1790304
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Skoti on November 14, 2024, 09:41:45 AM
Aye,

well spotted!

Even the photos of the bikes for sale arouses suspicion, because you'd expect them to be taken at the sellers premises.
Instead they appear to be from different locations.

Perhaps random photos copied and pasted from the internet?
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 14, 2024, 09:45:46 AM
I've just looked at some of the other bikes they have for sale and they were all, or still are, advertised on Car and Classic at much higher and realistic prices. Definitely a scammer.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 14, 2024, 09:50:17 AM
I've reported to Ebay.

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: SumpMagnet on November 14, 2024, 06:19:55 PM
Absolutely a scammer.

If ANY of those bikes were genuinely for sale at those prices, I;d be hiring a van and buying the lot.

But, you know they are not genuine. 1947 1200 sidevalve Harley ....for £2k. Selection of very restored Triumphs....£2.5k a pop.

It will be a 'leave a 10% deposit to secure before bookign a visit'....to a location that will be free of bikes and scammer, and no further responses will be had.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 14, 2024, 08:12:09 PM
A few years ago when I was looking for a used Chrysler 300CRD Estate I found one on Autotrader that just seemed to much of a bargain. The seller was working abroad on an oil rig so the lucky  buyer would have the vehicle delivered by container after viewing it in a storage compound in Liverpool. I reported it as a fraud only for the same vehicle to appear in Exchange & ,Mart the next week as well as in Gumtree.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: nairb on November 15, 2024, 01:04:26 PM
24 hrs later and nothing has been done.  Either the wee bay is too busy or they think its all fine.  They used to act quite quickly to fraud messages.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Athame57 on November 15, 2024, 03:50:22 PM
24 hrs later and nothing has been done.  Either the wee bay is too busy or they think its all fine.  They used to act quite quickly to fraud messages.
Maybe the old bill have agot a trap staked out?  ;D
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: nairb on November 16, 2024, 06:27:11 AM
A whole load of camper-vans and cars added.  But nothing yet sold??.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Murf on November 16, 2024, 09:12:57 AM
Well done for reporting this obvious scam let’s see if anything gets done about it.  However eBay is not good at this, members of the CBX clubs have reported a number of obvious scams involving CBXs but the adds never get taken down.  I get the impression eBay is a scammers paradise these days. 

The only thing I would say about this scam is that the bikes are priced so low it’s pretty obvious.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: nairb on November 19, 2024, 09:40:19 AM
All items have been removed.  Which is good.  Wonder why it took so long.  I doubt we will find out.

Edit.... 1 motorcycle has just reappeared.  Maybe more to follow.
Title: Re: Doubtful auction site motorcycle listing
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 19, 2024, 10:37:53 AM
I recall one such advert on eBay a number of years back for a CB750 when I was on the hunt for a project. I made contact with the seller and asked if I could view the bike. So he said it was difficult because it was in a lock up in Thurso. He thought the address was that obscure that no one would want to travel to the most northerly town in the UK. So I replied and said that’s perfect it just accross the water from where I live. So he then came up with the excuse that it was in a lock up and he was away working, so I said well when would he be home? O not for a while and he lived in the Midlands. By this time he was starting to suspect I was stringing him alone. So my last message to him was that it was my belief that he was a crook and only out to con some innocent person out of paying out a deposit for a bike that you never owned in the first place! Never heard any more.😜