Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => Recommended Sources for Parts and Services => Topic started by: Sesman on November 14, 2024, 06:45:16 PM

Title: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 14, 2024, 06:45:16 PM
Does anybody know of a good source for side cover grommets. I bought some a couple of years ago and now they are as hard as marble. I dare not fit the panels as there is no appreciable  ‘yield’ and I’m concerned that the panel lugs may snap when I try to remove them.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Johnwebley on November 14, 2024, 06:58:34 PM
Try nurse Julie



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 14, 2024, 08:34:37 PM
If no joy with NJ they sometimes pop up on e bay at prices much less than DS.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 14, 2024, 09:04:04 PM
Careful with these, I bought aftermarket ones and they were as hard as hell couldn’t get the side panels on, ended up putting the originals back on.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 14, 2024, 09:52:20 PM
Exactly the position I’m in. There are so many suppliers out there, I was wondering if anybody has had success sourcing something suitable.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: ozzybud on November 14, 2024, 10:08:21 PM
CMSNL  Has Honda grommets in stock.

83551-300-000
17247-303-000

Ozzybud

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550-super-sport-550-four-cb550f2-1977-usa_model468/partslist/F++15.html
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 14, 2024, 10:16:52 PM
I know, so does DS. I was hoping for a more cost effective solution!
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: ozzybud on November 14, 2024, 10:46:31 PM
There is nothing like genuine Honda parts.. You get what you pay for. 5 and 3 dollars each sounds cost effective to me. especially not risking cracking the side covers taking them off/on. That would cost a lot more
I bought a set for my K1 and they were soft and supple
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 15, 2024, 06:38:12 AM
I agree, but occasionally a good alternative product arises and I’m just checking to see if anybody has had success. I’’m beginning to think they haven’t.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: DomP on November 15, 2024, 10:08:20 AM
Why can't they make softer copy parts, doesn't seem a difficult task
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: SteveW on November 15, 2024, 10:18:55 AM
Try Wemoto, I bought some for my 550 K0 a few months ago for £2.20 each.
Said they were pattern parts but when they came they were in Honda bags.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 15, 2024, 10:25:23 AM
Aha. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks👍
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 15, 2024, 10:43:54 AM
Thats the place, it's been bugging me that I could not find the source in my e bay history.

Update
The Wemoto site do quite a lot of Superdream parts so a timely reminder of alternative suppliers.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 15, 2024, 01:09:38 PM
Order placed. I’ll report on receipt.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Johnny4428 on November 15, 2024, 01:30:25 PM
That’s excellent, will also be interested in the report.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: florence on November 15, 2024, 01:55:38 PM
I have the originals from 1974 and they are still fine.  You don't want them to be too soft otherwise your side panel might fall off.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 15, 2024, 02:03:56 PM
I also have my originals from 1977 and they are shite. I’ve drilled the top lug and inserted a thin r clip to prevent loss.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 15, 2024, 02:18:25 PM
To answer your question Ted, here I am half way across the North Pacific on Port Tack in 20mph wind. I’ve just taken the helm after a very painful experience involving a kidney stone. Thank god for morphine and diazepam.

Tonight I’ll be in the pub at 5pm and tomorrow doing the garden.

🤔🤔🤔
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 15, 2024, 05:21:01 PM
To answer your question Ted, here I am half way across the North Pacific on Port Tack in 20mph wind. I’ve just taken the helm after a very painful experience involving a kidney stone. Thank god for morphine and diazepam.

Tonight I’ll be in the pub at 5pm and tomorrow doing the garden.

🤔🤔🤔

I've sent you a PM about Kidney Stones.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: TezzerTel on November 16, 2024, 09:06:06 PM
Are the cheap carb rubbers from Ebay any good or are they to hard as well?
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 16, 2024, 09:27:06 PM
Hard to say. My apologies.

I’ve tried a few ‘cheap’ suppliers and been disappointed on all occasions. The grommets have been rock hard.

I received my wemoto products today, will report soon.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: DomP on November 16, 2024, 10:58:15 PM
I could only find the oval ones and not the circular
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 17, 2024, 08:25:54 AM
Yup, they have run out of the larger ones. Note that Wemoto have transposed the images and dimension descriptions. Ie the dimensions are for the large grommet, but they show the small grommet and vice versa. I bought the last two large grommets, product no AB1746. I now have two spare small grommets!
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 18, 2024, 10:04:07 AM
Forgot to mention. The grommets arrived in sealed Honda packaging. I’m told by Wemoto that the longer ones are out of stock and replacements will be pattern. I’ll report on quality on receipt.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: DomP on November 18, 2024, 09:55:48 PM
Forgot to mention. The grommets arrived in sealed Honda packaging. I’m told by Wemoto that the longer ones are out of stock and replacements will be pattern. I’ll report on quality on receipt.

Ah, that confused me for a bit there, if you want to sell on the two spare smaller grommets I'd gladly buy them from you.  When you get the patern long ones could you let me know how pliable they are?  Dom
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: taysidedragon on November 19, 2024, 12:54:37 AM
Has anyone tried softening the old hard rubber grommets with the magic carb rubber mixture?

It worked well on my carb rubbers.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: DomP on November 19, 2024, 08:11:28 AM
Is that the winter green mix?  Does it work and last?
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 19, 2024, 08:48:36 AM
Aha. That would be me. I tried this some time ago using the wintergreen/glycerine formula and it softened them beautifully. Within 6 months they returned to their marble like state. I was warned this might happen by a forum member. Honestly the stench is not worth the effort.

Grommet report: The pattern ones provided by Wemoto are comparable to the originals in size and suppleness. They should be available from Wemoto again later this week. Good price too.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: taysidedragon on November 19, 2024, 02:37:17 PM
Is that the winter green mix?  Does it work and last?

Yes. I used Wintergreen and Rubbing Alcohol mixture on the carb rubbers. It softened them really well, they expanded as well but returned to size in a couple of days.
I did it about 3 years ago and they're still softish, probably not as soft as new rubber, but fine to get the carbs on and off with a bit of added heat.

On my side panel grommets I sprayed them with silicone spray and the panels slide on and off easier.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: Sesman on November 20, 2024, 10:57:00 AM
Ok, so the second batch of large grommets has arrived. They came as ‘pattern’ parts, but I can happily report that they have the same pliability as the smaller grommets, which arrived in original Honda packaging. At £3.17 a pair, it’s a winner.
Title: Re: 550,F2 side panel grommets
Post by: DomP on November 26, 2024, 09:57:53 PM
I received my grommets from Wemoto, the small ones were again in Honda packaging and larger were pattern parts but are identical down to the mould lines, finish and amount of pliability to these from Ebay

 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184052268286?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=q6JCULh7RVO&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Y0YDXM_4R0-&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY