Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: beardylondon on November 17, 2024, 07:09:43 PM

Title: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 17, 2024, 07:09:43 PM
My throttle is sticking, probably just needs lube, but I just wondered if anyone has any pointers, to get it smooth, are there any serviceable parts?
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 17, 2024, 07:17:18 PM
On my 400 I removed the throttle tube, cleaned it using a bottle brush with washing up liquid, dried it, then used a very light smear of Silcone grease (as used by Plumbers for mixer tap swivels) obviously cleaned the bar part as well, it's surprising how the muck accumuates. If the tube has cracked inside I would replace it. I tried Silicon Spray but the grease worked better for me.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Johnwebley on November 17, 2024, 07:47:23 PM
First find out what is causing it,

My 500 has a return spring you could tow a truck with,

Or do you have a "hanging " throttle?

That could be out of sync carbs

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 17, 2024, 08:38:26 PM
Thanks both. Symptoms are that if you turn the throttle it sometimes, not always, sticks at a higher rpm than idle. You then have to manually wiggle it and make it return to idle.

Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 17, 2024, 08:46:39 PM
That does not sound like it's the throttle tube action, I would check the two throttle cables for correct action.

As has been mentioned by John that might be the so called "Hanging Throttle".
There is a thread on this subject, link below.

.https://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,31510.0.html
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 17, 2024, 09:05:06 PM
DO NOT "lube" the cables, if stiff and tight replace them
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 18, 2024, 02:46:38 PM
Thanks Bryan, this rings a bell from what someone said on the forum a while back about my speedo cable, what is the reason?
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 18, 2024, 03:38:12 PM
Honda cables have nylon lined outers and rubber sleeved inners so when lubed the nylon swell and the rubber gets sticky making things 10 times worse, i may have got those the wrong way round or the chemistry wrong but lubing makes them worse
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 18, 2024, 08:06:08 PM
ah ok makes sense!

I see genuine opening cable from DS are £35!  ouch

Anyone know if the pattern ones are ok?

I couldn’t see a closing cable on DS are they the same or different?

dirt cheap set on ebay, cant be any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186193128690?
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 18, 2024, 08:16:18 PM
Probably last one season so ok for price BUT do be aware they say will fit several models so probably non of them perfectly
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Johnwebley on November 18, 2024, 08:24:24 PM
I have fitted both cables over the last 8 years

First the pull open

Obviously a couple of months ago, the closing cable,

I think both are Slinky from Wemoto

And fit and work OK



Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 18, 2024, 08:59:45 PM
Thanks for the recommendation
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Skoti on November 19, 2024, 08:43:08 AM
ah ok makes sense!

I see genuine opening cable from DS are £35!  ouch

Anyone know if the pattern ones are ok?

I couldn’t see a closing cable on DS are they the same or different?

dirt cheap set on ebay, cant be any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186193128690?

I bought cheapo cables like that and they started to fray at the carb ends after about 1500 miles. Waste of cash.

I replaced them with DS aftermarket ones which have now done over 20,000 miles and still ok, bonus is they also have nice chrome fittings at the handle bar switch end.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 19, 2024, 09:53:10 AM
Thanks, I’m going to go for these, made in UK, by Slinky cables

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/ac3638

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/ac3783
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: K2-K6 on November 19, 2024, 10:23:33 AM
I lubricate cables with silicone oil, these throttle and anything else of this type, with good results.

As Ted notes, using silicone grease for the twistgrip mechanical surface is effective too.

I know it's slippery, but don't think that contributes much in the way of effort needed within the cables, it's much more that it excludes water/moisture etc over longer period to avoid and effectively eliminate corrosion.

I've not experienced any downside of doing this in affected materials as its virtually inert to those used in the cables.

Characteristics of moisture effect are white powder deposited from zinc coated cables, ultimately rust if the zinc sacrificing plate is eaten away more.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 28, 2024, 04:39:46 PM
So I purchased these two cables from We Moto:

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/ac3638

https://www.wemoto.com/parts/ac3783

However they are 75mm too short.  I let We Moto know and they have just come back to say that they can't find the correct cables for my bike and I need to send them back for a refund.

So I am back to square one.

I am going to email Slinky Cables and see what they say.

In the meatime, please could someone measure their CB550 throttle cables, so I know I'm not going mad?!

Thanks.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 28, 2024, 04:55:18 PM
If you post the length of cables you have I will compare them to the ones I replaced on my UK  500. Yours f.o.c. if they are suitable. Just postage cost.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 28, 2024, 05:40:54 PM
If you still have the US bars you need longer cables
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 28, 2024, 06:03:12 PM
Yeah I do have the US bars on it.

I gave We Moto the VIN no and was clear it was a US import, but perhaps they didn’t realise?

I’ll speak to Slinky Cables and see what they say.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 28, 2024, 07:20:27 PM
Silvers did list US cables
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 28, 2024, 07:51:05 PM
measured outer cover to ends of metal work (not inner cable) 91.5cm / 3 ft


If you post the length of cables you have I will compare them to the ones I replaced on my UK  500. Yours f.o.c. if they are suitable. Just postage cost.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 28, 2024, 10:03:22 PM
I've measured the open & close cables that I have they are as follows 91 cms & 84 cms long measuring round the fixed bend end (with an expanding tape steel tape as best I can)  to the other end of the outer cable.

I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket ones, the outer cables are not damaged.

PM me if they are if any use to you.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 29, 2024, 09:59:56 AM
Thanks Ted.

Does your bike have the taller bars?
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 29, 2024, 10:20:00 AM
Thanks Ted.

Does your bike have the taller bars?

All I can tell you is my bars were not a good fit at the clamping point as the markings were partially inside the center of the clamps so you could see the serations in the middle of the bars, the outer section was clamping on smooth bar that was starting to rise so not the best fit.
The clutch & throttle cables all seemed on the long side, although pretty new, that's why I changed them to suit the replacement UK style bars.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 29, 2024, 11:04:35 AM
Ok cheers, this is what mine look like:

(https://i.ibb.co/CV7pyZN/IMG-9056.jpg) (https://ibb.co/QYN7VRz)
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 29, 2024, 02:52:32 PM
Hi Ted

I’m unsure how your cables are different lengths, both of mine are the same, as they run in parallel.

Photos below showing the new cable (circled in green) offered up to the existing cable, thus I need both new ones to be 91.5cm.

(https://i.ibb.co/fndMjsM/IMG-9075.jpg) (https://ibb.co/CMKBRfB)

I've measured the open & close cables that I have they are as follows 91 cms & 84 cms long measuring round the fixed bend end (with an expanding tape steel tape as best I can)  to the other end of the outer cable.

I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket ones, the outer cables are not damaged.

PM me if they are if any use to you.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: deltarider on November 29, 2024, 03:34:31 PM
Beardy, looking at the pics, I wonder why your 550K2 is in Excel Black and not in Candy Garnet Brown, which according to Honda documentation was the only color for the 550K2.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 29, 2024, 04:43:20 PM
You can wonder no more, because the previous owner painted it black and when I had the opportunity to repaint it the original colour recently, I decided not to, and paint it Honda black. Simply because candy garnet brown looks like something a swamp creature threw up after a night on the ales.
I’m very aware of all the official Honda colours, however I couldn’t give a flying feck about what the Honda documentation says, black looks much better!
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 29, 2024, 07:18:00 PM
Yup, i did my 500 mettalic black in 76
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 30, 2024, 12:23:47 AM
My 500 K1 is in high gloss black, it was ditch water  bronze.

All my friends who have seen it prefer it to the original.👍👍
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: deltarider on November 30, 2024, 06:59:39 AM
Yeah, back to black. Henry Ford thought so too.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: beardylondon on November 30, 2024, 09:43:39 AM
Fair enough!

Ted, did you see my post above, I can’t understand why your cables are different lengths?

My 500 K1 is in high gloss black, it was ditch water  bronze.

All my friends who have seen it prefer it to the original.👍👍
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 30, 2024, 09:55:53 AM
I'll double check the shorter cable for length and repost later today.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 30, 2024, 02:23:00 PM
I've checked them again, the closing cable is shorter by a good 5 cms.
The opening one one with the extra adjustment fittings is 91-91.5 cms.
I did not source or fit the cables I removed so can't comment on the differences.

Happy to post out just the one & bin the other.
Title: Re: Throttle service
Post by: Bryanj on November 30, 2024, 05:14:34 PM
Ted, i think they were a new pattern set of 3 cables purchased from the good old flee of bays just to get it going.
Probably generic to fit most of the fours