Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Project Board => Topic started by: Pedrosanpb on November 23, 2024, 08:23:35 AM
-
Hi all, this is my bike. I got it for free from a guy who left it in a multi storey car park for a year and had almost forgotten he’d got it. I did the brakes and carbs when I got it and ran it for a few years. Now I’m going full bike-butcher and attacking it hard!(http://)
-
Looks an interesting bike, is it an import from Japan or were they a UK model?
Geat price as well unless you had to pay the car park fees!
From what I have briefly read decent brakes as well if this is the right model.https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb400/1992/
-
Cheers! It’s a 1993 Japanese model import I believe. No Haynes manual which is frustrating. I think there's one for a Honda with a similar engine so I’ll probably get that. Planning on doing the valve clearances while the engine is out so could do with half an idea what I’m doing!
-
I absolutely love these bikes. Probelm is at 6'3" & 16 st I'm just bit too beefy for them. But they're lovely things. Good luck with the project.
-
Lovely little bike and I love the styling - I just wish there was a slightly bigger / 600cc in that style....but I suppose they offered the Hornet! A bit like a Kawasaki ZRX but they are too big for what I want 🙁. Is the engine in one of the CBR400's?
-
That single top tube frame layout makes for some interesting possibilities.
If it was mine, I'd be making something like the old Kenny Roberts TZ flat tracker. Pop a flat tracker seat on the back, a dirt bike tank, and make some kind of seat to marry the two together. Then paint it in Repsol colours instead of the Yamaha yellow speed block. Don't know if you can get spoked wheels to fit.
Going to make an interesting project for sure whatever you do with it!
-
Done a bit of rust removal on the tank
Taken the petrol filler cap apart so I can paint it
Got the wiring harness set up on the bench and worked out where the resistors needed to go to get the LED indicators, stop/tail light and headlight working
-
Was wondering, is that an epoxy primer?
-
It’s etch primer from a rattle can
-
I know…UPOL. It’s good stuff, but is it the epoxy primer? I ask simply because I used the standard etch primer and after about a week in my garage rust began to show through.
I’m advised that if you don’t intend to paint straight away, it’s best to use 2k epoxy primer. I think it’s the upol ‘raptor’ product. I’m a complete novice in terms of painting, but was just wondering if you can advise on what to use for best results. I’m going to have a try at 2K aerosol’s.
-
I’m a total novice and have no idea what the best thing to use is myself! My plan is/was to strip it down, get rid of the rust, fix some dents, primer it up and leave it until the spring. Then it will hopefully be warm enough to spray it in my garage. At that point I’ve got a compressor and spray gun and will do the whole 2k primer, 2k paint etc… Now you’ve said that I hope it lasts until then; my garage is cold but dry so hopefully rust won’t be an issue
-
Cheers, sounds like a plan.