Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Laverda Dave on November 28, 2024, 03:21:25 PM

Title: Finished at last!
Post by: Laverda Dave on November 28, 2024, 03:21:25 PM
Ratty is finally finished and is now on the road!

This one was a challenge but luckily for me so many members of this forum kindly helped me get the bike over the finish line. 

A big thanks to Ash for all his help with new bearings, so many replacement parts I lost count, refurbishing the ignition coils and general advice. Thanks also to Ted for the replacement gear shafts and the genuine NOS pistons and rings. Julie and Graham for the rebore, head and valve work and new parts and to Bryan for the advice when I found marks on the crank journal that looked terminal. Thanks also to Nigel for coming to the rescue yesterday when the Boyer ignition timing wouldn’t play ball (Boyer are now aware of the issue).

I only took the bike out for a brief four mile ride today as it was so cold and the roads were slimy but to quote Alan Millyard ‘It was just perfect’. Only a couple of minor things to fix, the front brake needs another bleed as sometimes I had to pump it. I need to make a new set of leads from the Boyer to the loom as the crimp connectors Boyer supply look awful, I have some correct connectors on order. The handlebars touch the fuel tank, I need to make some spacers to fit on the lockstops. The bottom yoke I bought doesn't appear to be a 400/4 item despite the ebay add. I think Ted had a similar issue with his 400/4?


I’ll drain the tank tomorrow and swirl some diesel into it, remove the battery and hibernate it for winter ready to run in next spring.

I have a TL125 arriving tomorrow, a mate has asked me to re-commission it for him so another project is already in the wings!

Thanks again all :)
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: AshimotoK0 on November 28, 2024, 03:38:03 PM
That looks absolutely stunning Dave. You must be really proud.

Best colour as well according to Henry last night :D
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Johnwebley on November 28, 2024, 03:50:26 PM
That looks absolutely stunning Dave. You must be really proud.

Best colour as well according to Henry last night :D
Wot he said

Well done, it does look good

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: magpie114 on November 28, 2024, 04:14:26 PM
Immaculate! Is it going in a vac bag?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 28, 2024, 04:33:10 PM
Looks as good as new Dave you must be chuffed to bits even if it's worth less than you spent on it this week. It's all about the challenge of the build iirc.👍


My lock stop issue was that I had fitted fork clamps to accommodate a 500 standard headlamp. On my 400 the tank was touching the left clamp but not the right one. In the end I used some resin to stick some metal on the left lock stop
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Sesman on November 28, 2024, 04:55:51 PM
Yeah, really nice looking job. Congratulations.👏👏
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: taysidedragon on November 28, 2024, 05:20:32 PM
Quite a transformation!  Well done, looking good. 👍
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Bloggs on November 28, 2024, 05:24:51 PM
Looking just the new one I bought in 1977!

I have found a problem with the bottom yoke on my current build, the bike had been crashed at some point and various parts used to get it back on the road.
The bottom yoke, I guess, was from a USA model and had the steering lock 'hole' in the wrong place. US model have the lock built into the keyswitch not the frame head tube.

Good work.

Michael
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Bryanj on November 28, 2024, 05:36:28 PM
What connectors do you want mate i have a big box of assorted
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: ozzybud on November 28, 2024, 06:23:07 PM
It looks amazing ! Great job!  now we wait for spring.

I feel sorry for you all over there having to use those "Billboard" size license plates. Its big enough to slow you down without using the brakes. Is there any other options?
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Bryanj on November 28, 2024, 07:19:43 PM
Not legal ones, but most get away with smaller ones as anything over 40 years old needs no anual inspection(mot)
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Craizeehair on November 28, 2024, 07:32:02 PM
That looks incredible, what a great job.
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: K2-K6 on November 28, 2024, 07:59:52 PM
Fabulous Dave, much hard work too and real credit of your attention to detail.
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Bryanj on November 28, 2024, 08:01:18 PM
The Boyer problem just goes to pfove that just 'cos its new dont mean it is good, even if in this case it was only the instructions.
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: K2-K6 on November 28, 2024, 09:02:30 PM
I feel the original mechanical system, when in good condition and set correctly is virtually peerless. Even more so considering it's age of design.

The Boyer would definitely be my choice to change though, thoroughly tested and with some interesting design features worth having.
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Laverda Dave on November 28, 2024, 09:19:58 PM
Thank you all for the very kind words.
Truth be told though it is the amazing people, help and advice that comes from the members on this forum that keeps my enthusiasm for restoring these amazing bikes.
I remember restoring my first 400/4 (the tribute bike to the original Flying Banana) back in 1989 that took over two years to restore simply because this forum and all the knowledge it contains didn't exist. It may be harder and more expensive to obtain some parts and services now (chrome plating for example!) but if something is missing or needs repair/refurbishing someone on the forum has seen it and done it before and will pass the knowledge on and for that I am more than grateful and frequently in awe.
Thank you to everyone on the SOHC Forum and to Steve for all his work and dedication in keeping it going👍
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: JamesH on November 29, 2024, 07:20:19 AM
Superb effort Dave - that’s looks stunning now. Top work


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 29, 2024, 07:44:13 AM
Great work Dave 👍👍👍👍
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Athame57 on November 29, 2024, 07:28:21 PM
Beautiful result Dave!  ;D I'm not sure though that this is the one you brought to the Ace Cafe when we met?
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Laverda Dave on November 30, 2024, 09:08:31 PM
I brought my original 400/4 to the Ace George. I restored that one in 1990 as a homage to the original 'Flying Banana'. When the real Flying Banana was offered to me I couldn't say no.
Here they are together.
One of them has to go as I really cannot justify two of them and I need the room and the money for other projects. I will probably sell the one I restored in 1990 and its still only got just over 7000 miles on it since the restoration!
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on November 30, 2024, 09:39:24 PM
Nice twins you have there Dave. 8) 8) 8)
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: teenybop1 on December 01, 2024, 03:55:40 PM
Looks absolutely fantastic, I always regretted not seeing your blue one before it sold.
Title: Re: Finished at last!
Post by: Pedrosanpb on December 02, 2024, 11:12:00 PM
Looks really smart that