Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: mickwinf on December 02, 2024, 02:20:34 PM

Title: oil leak
Post by: mickwinf on December 02, 2024, 02:20:34 PM
not done much work on Lazarus lately, was feeling a bit despondent with it. on saturday i went to see Simon, 3secs on this forum to do the Ash fix on my coils. Thanks Simon, it has set me off again with some enthusiasm, and today wanted to look at an oil leak from underneath the engine which has been hard to pinpoint. went to the chemist and bought some baby powder, dusted the engine and left it running until hot. I did replace the oil pan as I suspected the oil drain plug but oil leak was still there, so after a close look the only drip was from one of the main crankcase bolts. this makes sense as the oil would spray backwards and splatter the underneath of the engine. Of course it was an awkward one so had to remove no 2 exhaust to gain access but checked it was tight, it was so removed it and cleaned it up with abronet cloth then replaced it with a smear of sealant on the washer. hope that works but not had this problem before.
Title: Re: oil leak
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on December 02, 2024, 02:24:43 PM
That is interesting was it one of the 8 mains bolts?

If it was a crankcase bolt did you smear Hondabond on the bearing caps area or just the flat mating areas?
Title: Re: oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on December 02, 2024, 03:19:36 PM
Thats one i havent heard before, hope there is no crack
Title: Re: oil leak
Post by: mickwinf on December 02, 2024, 04:03:11 PM
Ted i didnt put sealant on the mains area only on the edges, I wonder if the oil pressure is going down the bolt hole? Bryan, I hope not as checked before assembly. wont really know until I ride it in spring.
Title: Re: oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on December 02, 2024, 04:47:41 PM
I am sure it shows sealer on the towers where the mains go in the manual, posibly for this reason.

A thick copper washer or a suitable sized Dowty sealing washer may stop the drip without a big stripdown
Title: Re: oil leak
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on December 02, 2024, 06:58:57 PM
Ted i didnt put sealant on the mains area only on the edges, I wonder if the oil pressure is going down the bolt hole? Bryan, I hope not as checked before assembly. wont really know until I ride it in spring.

I suspect that is what might have happened, worst case scenario is copper or Dowty washers as Bryan suggests.
If other bolts follow suit, I would take care doing only as needed.